Ultimate Subaru Message Board

MSD Blaster High Vibration Coil! Is it a good idea?

Hey, 

I am looking to replace my stock 26 year old coil, before it fails me at the worst possible time.  They have numerous choices at the part store.  I would like something with a bit more spunk.  I have seen mixed results on here.  Is the MSD Blaster High Vibration a good idea?  I heard they burn up the disty?  But, I have also heard they are great, no problems...

This is the one, it is on sale for $54

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_coil-blaster-high-vibration-msd-ignition_17350176-p?searchTerm=8222

-Wes

More detailed Background info of your car is needed to Properly answer your Question, but I guess it is an EA81.

The answer is: NO

Those MSD Blaster Coils could be dangerous (in my Own Opinion) to use in a Subaru's Distribuitor, because their Resistance Value is different than the Stock Coil's Value, so those MSD's could Fry the Distribuitor's Electronic Ignition Module, especially if it is 26 years old...

For the EA82, the Closest Resistance Value to the Stock Coil, on an High Vibration Coil, is found on the Accel SuperStock 8140, which features Epoxi instead of Oil... those resistance values are the same for the EA81, isn't it?

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Sorry about that. Yes, 1987 ea81. I looked up the specs for both the stock and blaster coil, and actually the resistance is lower than stock, but volts are higher. Your answer is confusing, you say no, but then say yes it is damaging. I trust your opinion, which coil should I get?

Thanks, Wes

Well, If the MSD Coil that you might choose, has Resistance values closer to the Stock Specs, your Ignition Module should be Safe...

I Said No to MSD but Yes to Accel, which is another brand...

My BumbleBeast has been working fine for years, with an Accel SuperStock High Vibration Coil, which features 45K Volts Output and resistance values closer to Stock Specs.

I Kindly suggest to be Wise, choosing the Coil as Close as Stock Specs Resistance values.

Kind Regards.

Well, If the MSD Coil that you might choose, has Resistance values closer to the Stock Specs, your Ignition Module should be Safe...

I Said No to MSD but Yes to Accel, which is another brand...

My BumbleBeast has been working fine for years, with an Accel SuperStock High Vibration Coil, which features 45K Volts Output and resistance values closer to Stock Specs.

I Kindly suggest to be Wise, choosing the Coil as Close as Stock Specs Resistance values.

Kind Regards.

Thanks for the great info.  This one has 45k volts as well, but has lower resistance primary and secondary than stock, you would think a lower resistance wouldn't hurt the ignition module.  It's crazy to factor in all these variables.