Ultimate Subaru Message Board

1977 EA71 Distributor, (1600) questions

I hope this doesn't show my ignorance, but I have tried to search out the information in the threads and have come up short.

What engines (engine range) had the same distributor as the EA71 1600cc as found in the 1977 DL front wheel drive wagon?

I tried to source one through both O'Rileys and Autozone, they BOTH said they were not available.

Is there a reputable re-builder for these? (is there one local to Missoula Montana?)

Used to be back in the days of dwell tachs' and timing lights there would be some crusty old guy in a musty backyard garden shed who rebuilt starters, generators/alternators, and distributors. guess he folded up when people stopped really working on their own vehicles.

We pulled mine out and found the bushings worn to the point where the dist wouldn't even open the points.

I think it is the only thing keeping it from running as there is fuel delivery to the cylinders, battery is good, coil is good, but no spark due to flaky dist.

I pulled a part # off of a bushing, but none of the auto parts places could even call it up. I never had such a lack of parts support on any vehicle I have had before, save for my 1980 IH Scout II Diesel, they HATED to see me walk in through the door when I needed something for that monster.

I could fix the silly thing if I had the right bushings, that and fresh points and down the road I'd go...(maybe).

any ideas would be helpful, heck even off the cuff comments might be helpful.

Respectfully,

Timothy

i have a brand new old stock one for sale if you want it???

Price? Location?

I would jump on the new on above.  But,  I live in a pretty industrial area and the NAPA warehouse ships my "SPECIAL" distributors to a company in California.  I have had NAPA rebuild some strange distributor really reasonable.

Eric

Back where I used to work I had access to a first class machine shop (and first class machinists to run it!) so all I would have had to do was show them the dysfunctional component and over lunch they could just magically make one appear! guess I was spoiled back then because now I hold the very worn bushings in my hand and think "Somewhere...out there...there's a small box with these wrapped in brown paper on a dusty shelf and no one knows about them..."

Oh well...

I was given the number for Cardone and told that they could, if so inclined, rebuild that one for me (for about $85 and shipping), I was hoping for a more immediate solution. but I will consider all options before committing.

Thanks Guys!

quietly,

timothy

• Like 1

Looks fab but ouch...too pricey for me right now.

Unless you want to trade a sewing machine for it...(my professional occupation).

and by sewing machine I mean vintage good quality stuff, not the cheap plastic crap out today, I'm talking cast iron, heavy duty, precision machines.

all serviced and restored by me.

quietly,

timothy

Thanks for the Napa Link! 

That's pricey too but not as expensive.

I will continue to research my options.

Tried one in Missoula...nogo, there is talk of a yard in Arlee. Hopefully he'll have what I need for not too much.

looks like Napa has the best price, but have to order it in. second option is Cardone, but that is two weeks minimum down time...

its already been nigh upon two weeks.

Egads Man how is it that I am left to suffer upon this earth without well, nay, forsooth shall I speak it plainly here as a forthright man, humbly chastised for his lack of parts for yon Subaru, yea even now she languishes for but a simple part, that which beneath the hood doth spin and in its spinning round, as unto a top, doth impart that very spark, yea even that spark which giveth life unto yon slumbering beastie.

I seek even unto the ends of the internets yet find only scattered and few of these magical devices, and those which I find are wanted for them a penny pretty.

OH the woes of Subaruship, yet soft, what is it that mine mind doth reveal, Oh the joys of imaginings! for in mine own mind, behind the lids of mine very eyes, though closed do I see, yet without seeing, i know not how, yet do I know the very joys of grasping upon the wheel and traversing upon the very road of mine own mind, smoothly and with much exhaust, with horn shalt I tootle in a most friendly way to those poor subaruless pheasants, nay, not pheasants, mayhaps only peasants rather, lumbering with ox and cart or perhaps with beetle round-over and tin-canny. yes, I shalt tootle them all and most vigorously for I am in pilotage of a Subaru! *HONKHONK* Get the f@C% OUT THA WAY!!!

Shakespearically,

Timothy

Edited by Tsuru
  • Like 1

GOT ONE!

Well, Got one inbound...all the way from Lewiston Idaho. having it shipped in.

Found at parts yard there, From Central Grade.

Total around $50 shipped!

That was just hours before I discovered that there is a place in Missoula who can rebuild them...(not sure of price yet).

Auto Electric Co. (406) 728-9153 

2602 W Broadway St, Missoula, Mt 59802

Hours:  Wednesday 8:am 5:pm

I'll run what comes to me, and have the other rebuilt so I'll have a spare Dis-tri-butor on hand!

Then all I need are seats...

Oh well, First Things First...

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

happily,

Timothy

• Like 1

GOT ONE!

Well, Got one inbound...all the way from Lewiston Idaho. having it shipped in.

Found at parts yard there, From Central Grade.

Total around $50 shipped!

That was just hours before I discovered that there is a place in Missoula who can rebuild them...(not sure of price yet).

Auto Electric Co. (406) 728-9153 

2602 W Broadway St, Missoula, Mt 59802

Hours:  Wednesday 8:am 5:pm

I'll run what comes to me, and have the other rebuilt so I'll have a spare Dis-tri-butor on hand!

Then all I need are seats...

Oh well, First Things First...

Thanks for the input and suggestions.

happily,

Timothy

You won't find a better family than Bernard's family.  At Central Grade.  They have sold me two sets of PUGS and many other priceless things very inexpensively....  That guy has been around the block...

• Like 1

$50 is not bad at all it sure beats $130 for a new one. when i had to find one for my 83 ea81t they wanted $250-$325 for one with a core. napa and car quest only had one they could get in the whole country :o and subaru would of had to get it from japan if they even have one. luckily i got one off here for $45 shipped because i didn't have one.

Edited by turbosubarubrat

You probly got it out of the grey 2 door.  It is a clean lil unit.  Bought the luggage rack that was mounted on top of it....

any idea if there are front seats in it? I found a drivers seat, but am needing a passenger front in black. (with the seat rails...for some reason these are gone as in missing...)

questioningly,

timothy

funny thing happened today, the person I got the car from actually called me and said they had the front seats if I wanted them...so there is a drivers seat in it now...just waiting for them to find the passenger seat. then I'll have a full set of (uncomfortable) subaru seats! (I like things in sets...like...um...EGGS!)

I think I may need something else for the car...but in reality I cannot come to any conclusion as to what that might be at this juncture.

Here is an odd query...is it possible, or desirable to take the two wheel vehicle I now possess and convert it into a four wheel drive? or is that a pointless endeavor?

I ask out of curiosity alone.

ponderingly,

Timothy

Edited by Tsuru

Montana = Snow country, 

I just will need something that will handle snow better than my 2 wheel drive Ranger. (well, actually open diff on the Ranger so it's only a 1 wheel drive)

I'll consider it.

I've also noticed that there are no threads about this, at least the search isn't coming up with anything.

I will hush about this, as I believe I am straying from the original posting thread.

quietly,

timothy.

It's your thread, take it everywhere you want. EVEN IN THE SNOW, LIKE A 4WD SUBARU. Post #8 is a piece of art btw. And for an EA82, one must drill holes in the floor because the bolts that come up through the floor won't have any weld nuts in the body to thread into like a 4wd version would. And also if it's a 2 piece driveshaft, you'll have to come up with a mount for the center u-joint. I just drilled a couple holes and used a couple brackets from Lowe's with a couple bolts and some washers.

She's an EA71 2WD Automatic Wagon.

I must say I like the idea of a D/R manual, she would be approaching mountain goat status with the right tires.

and thank you for the comment on the Shakespearean rant. I was rather tired and frustrated that night. My brain just leaks that stuff sometimes.

SO...

To the point,

What would be needed for to convert a 1977 DL 2WD Automatic Wagon to a D/R 4WD four (or five) speed Manual. I am perhaps getting ahead of myself because I need to either tear the engine down and get her running first. But I still would like to know what will swap in and the degrees of difficulty in each choice.

to which I add,

"Please".

Thankfully,

Timothy

You will definitely need a donor car that is 4wd to get all the bits like rear sub-frame, rear diff, rear axles, rear brakes etc etc... and I have no idea if a later model trans like a 5spd d/r would fit in the tranny tunnel. May have to stick with the s/r that came with those cars.

Edited by Subaru_dude

even single range would be twice the traction she has now.

I'll hit as many of the yards that I can AFTER I get her running and properly sorted.

Or I might just leave her stock as a clean example of the marque.

I'm ambiguous and floppish about it all right now, I'll know better after she's running then I'll let her dictate what she wants to be.

easier that way just to let the car decide.

quietly,

timothy