Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2000 Legacy clicking sound from behind dash, turn signals?

I have an intermittent rapid clicking coming from behind the dash on my 2000 Legacy L. Sounds like a relay or solenoid rapidly cycling. When I play with the turn signal switch I can get it to stop. Anyone know if there is a flasher unit or control module that may be the culprit? Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Next time it happens get out and look at your turn signals, preferably in the dark with the lights off. 

When it happens does the lights or brakes have anything to do with it?

Next choice would be to drop the knee panel on the drivers side and see if you can get a better idea of the location. There are several things that can make that kind of noise under the dash. Turn signals may be related but not the problem. 

Update: Lights don't make any difference, brakes no difference. It always happens after turning on the left turn signal. The only way to turn it off is select right turn signal. The hazard switch also does not make any difference. The most likely culprits are the Turn signal and hazard module, and the turn signal/light switch assembly.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

I know this is an old post, but I just had the same problem and wanted to add some info. In my 2001 OB the clicking would continue after the switch returned to normal and the lights stopped flashing. At first it was mostly after turning left and I could stop there clicking by blipping the stalk to the right. It had no impact on the operation of the turn signals. They all worked fine when they were supposed to be flashing, and when they weren't supposed to be on but it was clicking, the lights weren't on at all. I replaced the flasher behind the knee panel, all that did was provide a slightly different clicking.

I was going to grab a switch at Harry's, but decided to just pull it out and see if cleaning would help. Once the switch was removed it was very easy to open up and investigate.

Before taking it apart, move the stalk around to get used to how it is supposed to feel. There is a clear cover with a tab on each corner, gently pretty this away. Next to remove is a white panel, this is held by 2 small Phillips screws on one side and 2 black trans on the other. When you pull this off, it will expose 2 small loose parts, so remove the white panel slowly. Lift the white panel off of the black assembly and the parts should stay with the black assembly. The small white loose part is the slider for the low/high beams and flasher. At the edge is a small black slider with a copper pad, this is the slider for the turn signal. Look at the white panel and you will see the brass buttons that the slider makes contact with.

I'm not an electrical engineer, but the inside of this assembly is covered with non conductive electrical lube. In the area of the turn signal slider it looks like the copper and brass have slowly worn away adding enough material to make the lube slightly conductive. I cleaned out the dirty lube. Unfortunately both of my cans of contact cleaner were dead and I didn't have a good lube to put in there. So I just cleaned it out with an old tooth brush and pit everything back together. After getting the switch back into place I was happy to hear no clicking after testing it.

Since i did a somewhat sloppy job, and i have a couple of vehicles with this same switch, I do plan on grabbing a switch from the junkyard as a spare on my next trip down. When I do, I'll get some pictures so my non technical ramblings make a little more sense...