Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Its buggy time agian

ivans imports

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And so 2 good passes but broke a rod thru the block coming out of pitt on 2nd run seized it solid so we spent a hour turning it back and fourth till it broke loose had a 3/6 hole in top of block but it started. The big end of rod was still on crank so we pluged the holes the best we could with rags pushed it up to the line with a quwad and started her and did its pass was smoky and had 0 oil preshure but made it thru with a little help from NOS. And lined it up and did a 4rth pass no oil no coolant made a good time even broken 7.66 even loaded it on trailer and of on its own power. I was absolutly amazed that it ran with that mutch damage on 3 and was worth the effert to break it loose I was able to get my points for season total. Anyway back to the engine drawing board !

Was watching the motor run with a 6 inch by 3 inch hole in the top is kinda neat can see the crank and rods going round well whats left of rod still never seized man theese motors can take a beating 0 oil preshure no coolant no oil still fires right up will try and post a vid of it runing so we can all watch the crank going round

For shure lifts the front tires off the ground my favorot is shift to second while the tires are spinning in first that gets her hooked up quwick. Have done reverse wheelies but kills front diff fast the 4.44 ratio is not as strong as the higher gears so is easy to break. Anyway new engine is in sounds sweet got Hbeam manly rods and cp forged pistons arp head studs the engine we used was a 05 forester engine had a nice bore still runs very even and good pulses out the pipe. Hoping the rod failure is a thing of the past the H beams are twice as thick in the centers as the 2.51 rods shorter stroke mind you droped in ccs but make up for it in strength going to dial the nos back and add more feul plugs had gone lean. And the two rods that were not broke were both bent they had colapsed and had a S to them gess there was some high cly preshures going on on the good side pistons held up no broken ring lands.

mid season recap

race one - merritt

- started the season with stock crank, stock rods, arp head studs,  and CP pistons. EJ 251 Ported heads, intake spacers, water methanol injection, roughly fifteen pounds of boost, and a 40 wet shot of nitrous thru a single sprayer. NA computer. 

went six passes and didnt blow up, it was decently fast, but not catching the first place truck.  

Race 2 - Quesnell 

changed the nitrous setup to multiport.  problem is, the smallest available jets still jumped us up to a 120 shot. Ivan did 2 passes that had a few people saying "holy crap that thing looks fast". then on third pass, it started to work hard at the end of the track, and broke #3 cyl rod. there was also the variable of the 'boost adder' spring on that pass. the crank wasnt turning, so we put it on the trailer and came home.  

staging area 2013-07-20164133_zpsbbf1fe52.jpg

ivan getting staged, mud shark in the far lane

2013-07-20165412_zps9ad003d8.jpg

the track

2013-07-21152042_zpsb2015954.jpg

race 3 - Valemount

ivan slapped together a new motor of the same configuration and headed to valemount. i got there saturday night to get the news that we had broke #3 rod again on the second pass.  Not wanting to give up so easy this time, Ivan had already 'clearanced' the hole in the block with a hammer, and was ready to go for sunday. After adding 1L of oil, and no coolant left, He got pushed up to the line by a fellow racers quad. He fired it up, and made the pass with the whole cab of the car filled with smoke, and a 100ft plume coming out of the pipe.  Second pass was less smoky since there was nothing left in the engine, haha. but it made 2 passes completely busted, and drove itself on and off the trailer. points collected. 

the aftermath

2013-08-13193546_zps5c77920e.jpg

the piston decided to hang out at the top of the cylinder for the rest of the weekend. 

2013-08-13193521_zpsc6e00000.jpg

debbie, why do you do this to us?

2013-08-13193513_zpsf26a513b.jpg

race 4 - chilliwack

after 2 rod breaks, it was time for some Manleys. combo'ed with the CP pistons, hopefully this rotating assembly will be tough enough. we also stepped down the nitrous jet, reducing the shot to 90, but theres no fuel jet small enough to match a 022 nos, so it was running 016 fuel side making it a rich mix. not a bad thing. Also the o2 sensor was relocated to read fresh air, hopefully making the NA computer go full rich. 

Showing some confidence, ivan let his brother Rob and I drive the shortbus down to chilliwack while he partied on the beach. I was to be main driver.

upgrades

2013-08-08181920_zpsf9d96c0d.jpg

comparison

2013-08-08180245_zps562db36e.jpg

I was really hoping to make 3 full passes and not break, but it was not to be. First pass i started to bog at the end of the track. Thats how it has broken before, so i slapped off the nitrous and that stalled the motor completely. Second pass i left the nitrous on and chewed my way thru the ungodly deep chilliwack mud for a 17 second pass. Next day -  Third pass i was bogging down at end of track again, so i tried to shift into first and acidentally popped it in neutral, then flailed it back into gear and stalled it.  Fourth pass was the best of the weekend, i made a clean downshift and got an 11 second pass.  

filling up in cache creek on the way home

2013-08-18204258_zpsb97be5ee.jpg

We came home thinking it wasnt broke, but ivan heard it right away. upon reviewing the tape, it lets out a puff and starts smoking just before i turn off the nitrous on the first pass. so we went the rest of the weekend with some still to be determined damage, and i didnt even notice. dumbass, haha. 

moral of the story - it aint that easy to drive this thing in competition conditions.  my worst enemy was oversteering and getting out of the ruts - once i jumped out of track i was screwed every time. 
Edited by matts87glsedan

I must say matt did a mutch better job holding the engine together than me. I find it strange that always breaks #3 piston first every time anyone have imput on thiss Of 6 engine breaks always #3 first a'm thinking its because its the farthest from feul pump and last on feul rail. we are spilting the rails and going to run two pumps and two regs on for each side. Hope this stops the lean burn on #3 This years race season has been a hard learning curve. And Matt did perty good being blindly thrown into a pro race event First time is tough. As he found out I make it look realy easy but have many races under my belt. Also the track was teribble so just geting staged was spinning to get to line

so after mutch debate the boys covinced me to switch to NA platform figure the turbo and NOS are killing it so non turbo with more nos. By removing the turbo takes of about 45-60 lbs of engine weight and give way more room around engine also now can putt a ton of nos on it will see how this setup works sounds nasty and instant revs. will it make close to the same power ? no idea will see

hey! buy the 3 .047's instead! they match the 026 fuels,  and we'll get an available 400 shot ...  400 is a nice number, i like it.   

2 stage nos controller is in, and its effing sweet.   We can put ridiculous jets in it (see above) , but choose what percentage of the power we want to start and finish at, and choose how fast or slow we want it to ramp up, in .1 second increments.  plus other options too, like if we want to fire it by rpm or tps,  if we want a delay before ramp up, etc. 

I'm willing to bet one Wildcat that it will be superior to the turbo for drag racing once we get it tuned.  "how much power would you like sir?"  " well, i think i'll start with 210hp over .8 seconds, thank you very much..." 

and we havent even got a second stage yet, ahahahahahahaaa!!! 

so after thinking about it last night, it might not be good to have big jets in it.  If we only ever use 75% of our max shot, that means the solenoids will be cycling on and off constantly.  having one overheat and stick open or closed would either bog the engine with way to much fuel, or blow it up with too much nos. it would be better to have it ramp up to 100%, so they're just full open and not working.   The 210 thats in it right now might be where we should stay (or smaller), then if you still want more after that, it can be brought in with the single sprayer and the second channel.

well a 400 shot on a v8 would be 50hp per cylinder...  i like the idea of 40hp per cylinder, it sounds almost reasonable.  we did 32.5hp per cylinder on the road last night.   

i was reading a bit about wideband o2, and apparently the more Nos you use the less accurate they are for tuning (so says one guy on the internet).  and that plug readings are more reliable. it was nice to see a black plug yesterday. 

Well the pit was over my tires and up to my crank pully was brutal worked the buggy hard but was stuck when I started got 25 ft first pass and nos poped 2nd run got thru barly after mutiple nos pops and floging buggy thru only got footage as it stoped and restarted. 3rd pass same and 4rth pass poped so hard blew my air fillter apart and blew mass airflow off had time to put it back on and keep going twice was painfully burryed but still got out 1 ft at time for a 5 min + run but never had to be towed out and drove back every time And are engine is ok runs better now than before race so +1 there The next race should be a normal pitt so turbo back on dial her in and lets go. A'm glad we detuned it and saved the motor as the pitts were hopless when the crapper dosent make full passes the track  is very bad. And matt got to see first had a hudge fireball and intake backfire on test run had to use are extinisher to putt it out rough days at the races !