Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1979 DL front drive automatic Carb and trans update

After a few days driving, all is good but the carb looks like it is in original condition...so that's a clue !

I took off the air cleaner and tried to adjust the carb, no go.

The idle air mix is turned all the way in and wont lean out, there is gasket material oosing out of the carb into the venturi, it looks like the Blob..(that can't be good), carb gaskets/seals are maybe about 30 years overdue for replacement/rebuild ? a carb kit is on the way.

The auto trans shifts into 3rd at about 20 mph if you don't floor it !

Is there any adjustment in the kick down linkage that would change the shift points ?

It's a Shift-o-Matic as it is, if you manually shift from 1st to 2nd at 20-25mph, (instead of shifting into 3rd at 15-20 mph in automatic), then shift from 2nd to 3rd at 40-45mph it moves along pretty good even with the crusty carb. (I don't plan on keeping the automatic any longer than I have to anyway, I will swap to 5 speed asap).

Also going to do a valve adjustment with the carb rebuild.

I was expecting to see a points distributor, but it has an electronic dist.

I might post a video of it running and driving before and after a good tune up, should be interesting.

I love the suspension on this thing, its solid as a rock !

Thanks for the great Subaru forum !

Edited by junk250

chuck that horrible automatic ASAP!

also, if the carb is jacked, go ahead and do the smart thing and get a Weber! It's on my short list of things I'm going to do to my wagon!

It seems finding a 5 speed with a top mount starter might be a trick, from what I gather it has to be pre 1980(gen 1 top mount starter) and there are not a lot of pre 1980 1600 models with front drive and the 5 speed. Seems to limit me to pre 1980 and post 1600 so about 1976-1979 ?

There were a couple of earlier 1400 models that came with front drive 5 speeds (like GL's) but would a 1400 5 speed trans swap with gen 1 auto 1600?

The carb is OK, but not getting good mileage really, it idles perfect but I think needs a rebuild, driveability should be much better, seems a little sluggish/slow. It will get up and go if you floor it (and shift it), but mid throttle is weak.

I'll know more when I put some tune up on it, a valve adjust, plugs and a timing light.

Any info would be great.

Thanks !

Edited by junk250

I imagine a 1400 5 speed would be like finding hens teeth! I believe you would also be limited to the tiny 1400 flywheel/clutch combination.

It would possibly be easier to locate a bell housing from the later EA71 'fat case' engines. This allows you to fit the the later 5 speed transmission with the side mount starter and the larger 1600 flywheel/clutch combo.

I imagine a 1400 5 speed would be like finding hens teeth! I believe you would also be limited to the tiny 1400 flywheel/clutch combination.

It would possibly be easier to locate a bell housing from the later EA71 'fat case' engines. This allows you to fit the the later 5 speed transmission with the side mount starter and the larger 1600 flywheel/clutch combo.

That sounds like the clue I was looking for, so I can use the later ea-71(gen 2) "side mount starter" if I can get the whole trans/bell housing and starter ?

Edited by junk250

Will the fat case EA71 bell housing bolt to an early EA71 engine? If so that would allow the use of any of the EA81 and EA82 transmissions would it not?

Yes, this is correct.

Edited by Leeroy

Thanks for the info guys !

So a "fat case" gen 2 ea-81/ea-82 bell housing with side mount starter will fit the gen 1 (pre 1980) ea-71.

So that would mean instead of me being limited to 1976-79 or so 5 speed I could use later a ea-81/ea82 5 speed if I change the bell housing ?

Can I put any ea-81/ea-82 5 speed in it if I swap the bell housing ?

Would the flywheel, clutch, petal assembly from a ea-81/ea-82 swap into a ea-71 engine with the new bell housing ?

What model years ea81/ea82 would swap ?

Thanks a million for the information, I used to know all this swap stuff about beetles, I worked on them for years when they were everywhere (1200,1400,1600, 1800 not too different), thin stud, thick stud, single port, dual port ect.,ect., but Subaru is new to me !

I wish I still had my 56 Beetle, 40 horse and would go anywhere, it was a TANK, a lot like this DL .

Thanks again

Edited by junk250

Here is some info I found on wikipedia

Five Speed transmissions
T71G

• Gear Ratios: 1st 3.666 2nd 2.157 3rd 1.266 4th .885 5th .725, Rev 4.100
  • Usage: 1975-1982 Subaru Leone

T71G

• Gear Ratios: 1st 3.636 2nd 2.157 3rd 1.266 4th .885 5th .725, Rev 3.583
  • Usage: 1983-1989 Subaru Leone 1600cc

T81G

• Gear Ratios: 1st 3.371 2nd 1.950 3rd 1.266 4th .885 5th .725, Rev 3.583
  • Usage: 1983-1989 Subaru Leone 1800cc (EA-81 Engine ONLY)!

This seems to suggest that the same T71G 5 speed went (with one revision) with EA-71 from 1975-1982 then on thru to 1983-89 EA-71's ?

But it says the T81G 1983-1989 for 1800 fits ea-81 only...anybody know what will swap ?

Edited by junk250

• 4 weeks later...

Yes, this is correct.

Leeroy,

Thanks for the info, I reread this thread and it seems I have more options than I thought.

If I read right, a gen 1 top mount starter bellhousing(mine is a gen 1 1979 automatic) can be swapped to side mount starter "fat case" bellhousing and I can use later ea-71, ea-81, ea-82 5 speed trans ?

The 5 speed FWD transmissions all seem to be similar/same (t71g,t81g,5mt) a bellhousing change in there between t71 and t81 ?, so if I can swap bellhousings and fit with swapping flywheel, petals, clutch ect. and maybe fit a later 5 speed in it that would be great !

t81g fits "ea81 only", but can you swap bellhousings to fit a ea-71 ?

I want my gen 1 Automatic to be a 5 Speed manual.

If this is right,... this should be a STICKY.

Edited by junk250