Ultimate Subaru Message Board

manual transmission types

have a 78 brat with 1800 ea82 turbo with 5 speed trans with 4wd in h&l. the trans will not shift into fwd only. dont know if trans is only 4wd. does have hi & low. how do i tell. when i look at the back of the tranny from underneath the transfer only has one peg comming out the back side that the selector is attatched to which is on the passenger side. am wondering if this is a 4wd tranny only. the sn# is 658189. the reason for not knowing is bought the car with the engine & tranny switch done, so i think the moter came out of a rx?-rx?. also the selector faces the front of the car not the back as all of the ones in the wrecking yards iv'e seen. thankyou goldminer

Edited by gold miner

You should be able to slide into FWD. If you can, get onto dirt or gravel, and try at a low speed. If that doesn't work, try making the switch while moving in reverse. It is easiest for the car while there is some 'give' or wiggle room friction wise between the wheels, thus the gravel or sand (or snow, if you can find some).

Regardless of which way you go, it is easier on the car if you do it while moving in a straight line. The transition should be easy, no significant pressure required; if you have to lean on the lever, something is wrong. Stop and try again.

I suspect it's just a fulltime4wd tranny since if it came from rx. If it just doesn't shift to the fwd position in any conditions it pretty much has to be fulltime tranny. Altought one thing to mention. If you have different sized tires in front and back it might be very hard to shift into/off from 4wd mode.

If it is a Fulltime 4wd from RX there will be a selector rod that runs through the transfer, and up to the front portion of the case for hi/lo.  It will ALSO have a lever, low on the passenger side of the transfer section, hooked to a cable that is Vac/solenoid/button operated (just like S/R 4wds)

If it doesn't have that lever low on the side, then its not an RX box.

Also, if it's binding while on pavement, turning in 4wd, that's true 4wd.  An RX box has the open center diff that won't bind unless the above mentioned lever is moved to the "diff lock" position.

I would lower the rear end of the trans, and pull the coverplate off the top of the transfer and see if the interlock/selector fork is broken or stuck.

I had a 4 speed DR that would not shift into 4wd.

It had been in 2wd so long the selector shaft had seized.

IIRC,solution was to tap the shaft w/a hammer after some minor disassembly.Fine afterwards.

You should be able to slide into FWD. If you can, get onto dirt or gravel, and try at a low speed. If that doesn't work, try making the switch while moving in reverse. It is easiest for the car while there is some 'give' or wiggle room friction wise between the wheels, thus the gravel or sand (or snow, if you can find some).

Regardless of which way you go, it is easier on the car if you do it while moving in a straight line. The transition should be easy, no significant pressure required; if you have to lean on the lever, something is wrong. Stop and try again.

from goldminer- thankyou have tried many times

If it is a Fulltime 4wd from RX there will be a selector rod that runs through the transfer, and up to the front portion of the case for hi/lo.  It will ALSO have a lever, low on the passenger side of the transfer section, hooked to a cable that is Vac/solenoid/button operated (just like S/R 4wds)

Also, if it's binding while on pavement, turning in 4wd, that's true 4wd.  An RX box has the open center diff that won't bind unless the above mentioned lever is moved to the "diff lock" position.

I would lower the rear end of the trans, and pull the coverplate off the top of the transfer and see if the interlock/selector fork is broken or stuck.

thankyou-the rod is there through to the case and the hi-lo works but no fwd only-i only have 4wd. and no vac switch as a rx 

thankyou sickness am affraid that may be my prob. but how can i identify the trans to find out if it is even a fwd- or 4wd trans only. have not run across another one with only the one rod out the back that the select is attatched to- other than the one the 1-5 gears so only 2 rods out the back of mine.

IIRC, there is a sticker on the pass side bellhousing, just above the CV axle output spline with a model designation (TYxxxxxx) or something of that nature. Now, with the turbo there, IDk.. but it's there on my EA82 5MT..

And if it's from an RX, it'll full time 4wd so you'd just keep it in Hi for normal driving.. 

This.

Being that it has a shifter rod through the center diff housing, it has to be one of 2 things (EJ D/R AWD were cable shifted). Either it's an 87-89 RX trans, in which case it will have the hi-lo shifter rod on the back, AND the center diff lock lever on the right side of the center diff housing (stock it's hooked up to a cable, which runs to a vacuum diaphragm on the left side of the trans above the CV axle, which had vacuum lines going to solenoids on the left front strut tower). Or it's a part-time 4WD case, in which case it will not have that center diff lock mechanism, and it will have a FWD mode.

• 2 weeks later...