Ultimate Subaru Message Board

The plasic upper hose throat on my 1999 OBW (Auto.) radiator is cracked, so I'm going to put a new one in.

I've checked most of the standard sources and it seems like my choices are pretty much:

Aftermarket, plastic & aluminum, one row (from various online suppliers/local parts stores)

or

OEM (from dealer/online supplier)

The best price I've found so far is Radiatorbarn

http://radiatorbarn.com/search.php?product=radiator

Their price is WAY cheaper than the OEM option.

I put one of these in a '92 Legacy a few years ago with no issues so far.

I see here where people are getting 2- row, all metal radiators, but whenever I search on the supplier sites, the only option that shows up for my OBW with the auto. is like the one  above from Radiatorbarn.

Does this (Radiatorbarn link above) seem like an ok way to go?

If you want the BEST price (you can use auto on manual cars, you just won't hook-up the trans cooler) Rockauto.com 71.99, ~8 shipping. 90 day warr.

Now, if you want some security in a warranty/known mfg, Vista-pro and Spectra do a nice job, ~84 with a 2 year warr on the spectra.

Or if you want lifetime warr, AdvanceAutoParts.com has 15% off, free shipping @ 140 (without the 15%).

I use rockauto.com for ALL my stuff (besides cheap maint items I get from OEM suppliers/online dealers). THEY have the best prices (95% of the time)

If you want the BEST price (you can use auto on manual cars, you just won't hook-up the trans cooler) Rockauto.com 71.99, ~8 shipping. 90 day warr.

Now, if you want some security in a warranty/known mfg, Vista-pro and Spectra do a nice job, ~84 with a 2 year warr on the spectra.

Or if you want lifetime warr, AdvanceAutoParts.com has 15% off, free shipping @ 140 (without the 15%).

I use rockauto.com for ALL my stuff (besides cheap maint items I get from OEM suppliers/online dealers). THEY have the best prices (95% of the time)

Actually Rockauto is a little bit more than Radiator Barn. 

The cheapest one at Rock Auto is 91.98 including shipping

Radiator Barn is 88.34 including shipping.

Looks like 2 yr. warranty from Rock Auto vs lifetime from Radiator Barn.

if time is an issue, order it on line from advance auto and pick it up in the store the same day.

they always have discount working for on line orders.

but if you google, advance auto discount coupons, you may find a 33% of coupon.

i have done ths lots of times and i have even use some coupons twice.

ignore the dates. some of the older ones still work.

juust plug in the code and if the price changes you are good to go.

it may not be the cheapest, but it may be the soonest.

i got something from rockauto this spring and shipping was faster than what was quoted.

good luck.

if time is an issue, order it on line from advance auto and pick it up in the store the same day.

they always have discount working for on line orders.

but if you google, advance auto discount coupons, you may find a 33% of coupon.

i have done ths lots of times and i have even use some coupons twice.

ignore the dates. some of the older ones still work.

juust plug in the code and if the price changes you are good to go.

it may not be the cheapest, but it may be the soonest.

i got something from rockauto this spring and shipping was faster than what was quoted.

good luck.

Time's not so much of an issue. With a coupon it would still be about the same as Radiator Barn.

From the description, the "Ready-Rad" @ Advance looks to be basically the same (plastic, 1-row).

If this type of radiator is ok, I'll probably go by price, which looks to be Radiator Barn.

Epoxy it.

Spend the money on beer.

I might try that, but it's actually a semi-circle piece at the end of the inlet missing. While the hose covers it as is now, and it's not leaking, I'm concerned about it deteriorating more. Peace of mind and all.