Ultimate Subaru Message Board

I'm replacing the timing belt on a 98 OBW 2.5 5mt. The car has a hydraulic tensioner, but looking on ebay they are showing the roller assembly tensioners for 98-99. The kits for 96-97 show the hydraulic tensioners like what is in the this car. Whick kit should I get.

96-97

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-97-Subaru-DOHC-2-5L-Timing-Belt-Kit-Hydraulic-Tensioner-AISIN-Water-Pump-EJ25-/260967524705?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item3cc2e06961

98-99

http://www.ebay.com/itm/98-99-Subaru-Impreza-Forester-Legacy-Outback-2-5-DOHC-Timing-Belt-Kit-Water-Pump-/360466420907?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Make%3ASubaru&hash=item53ed7914ab&vxp=mtr

Travis

I can do $280 for a kit for a local.  If you need to trade out a piece or something because your car doesn't have this/that it doesn't matter then.  4.85% tax at my shop location.  You choose what tensioner style you like better and I will provide the bracket behind it to make it work right.  I personally like the older style kit and will throw in a nice used two bolt tensioner with it if you want.

It could also be an older engine swapped in to your car after someone overheated and killed the original one when the headgaskets blew.

I got a Gates timing belt kit off ebay for $180 shipped for a newer engine. It had koyo bearings in all the idlers and a new water pump and tensioner.

It's good you're getting the kit, a lot of people replace just the belt expecting the idler bearings to make it to 210k miles. Often, they don't. And when the idlers go they take the belt with them. The 04 2.5l I put the timing belt kit on had the belt done at a subaru dealership at 110k and I got in there at 180k. A couple of the idlers had significant play in them and they all sounded dry when spun. Replacing them is cheap insurance, and really should be factory recommended.

I just replaced the head gskets last week, the car has 209K miles. The lady I bought it from said the timing belt was done just before she bought it and according to the title she had put about 63K miles on the car. So I fugure just go ahead and do the belt kit now and I should be good for many miles to come.

• Like 1