Ultimate Subaru Message Board

A/C not working and FWD Fuse question

1990 Loyale Turbo

AWD/FWD

4EAT

So the air conditioner has never worked since I've owned the car.  I believe the previous owner mentioned that he disconnected the a/c until the auxillary fan switch was repaired ( a good move in my opinion).  The first thing I did was replaced the fan switch and got that working.  Well now a year later I'd like to get my a/c working again but try as I may, I can't find any kind of fuse or relay that he may have disconnected, not even in the fuse block under the steering wheel.  Can someone tell me where to look for the fuses and relays and anything else that I can complete the circuit?  Also, I've noticed that the a/c compressor is located in a different position that other ones I've seen.  The alternator sits between the compressor and the power steering pump where others I've seen the compressor is in the middle.  Is this some kind of dealer vs. factory option? If so, are the fuses/relays located in different locations than where the factory would have put them?

Next topic:

The car is full time awd or 4wd however it's said.  I know it's full time because it runs in 4WD mode all the time without any kind of lever or indicator to switch from front wheel drive to 4WD.  However, I see under the hood near the firewall a fuse holder with the letters FWD printed on it.  It doesn't have a fuse in it so I'm thinking that it came from the factory that way.  Does this fuse have any operation in this car?  What would happen if I put a fuse in there?

If all the fuses are in place, it is quite possible it is low on coolant. Get some gauges on there and see what you have in the system.

Your car is full time AWD, not 4wd, there is a difference (symantics I know)

The fuse is used to temporarily disable the AWD system when you have a flat tire and have to use the spare.

No the fuse holder is meant to have one of the spare fuses put in it if you get a flat or an under inflated tire. It disables the AWD.

Check the fuses under the dash, and the fuse/relay panel under the hood. If everything is there, it can be over time you lost refrigerant. 

Check under the hood at the AC compressor to make sure that the single wire is plugged in, and follow the AC hoses and make sure the pressure switches are connected.

About the 4WD fuse, should it normaly have one in there?

No. It's a FWD (FRONT Wheel Drive) "fuse" (it's not actually a fuse, in that it protects a circuit, just an easy way to disable the center "diff" in case of a flat tire).

I don't know anything about A/C. My A/C diagnostic procedure is: Does it work? -> No -> Rip as much out as possible

No. It's a FWD (FRONT Wheel Drive) "fuse" (it's not actually a fuse, in that it protects a circuit, just an easy way to disable the center "diff" in case of a flat tire).

I don't know anything about A/C. My A/C diagnostic procedure is: Does it work? -> No -> Rip as much out as possible

My daughter's procedure is "my A/C doesn't work. Fix it" 

Yeah, leave the 'FWD" fuse holder alone unless being towed or spare.

And on the pass side, near the white vac canister near the firewall there will be a small black fuse holder (like the FWD one) labeled A/C. Make sure there is a fuse in there.

Also, make sure the pressure switches are hooked up (near the radiator on the pass side) so the system knows when to cycle/not cycle. Also, you'll have the old R12 setup. Normal R134a equipment and refrigerent will NOT work. (You can use a hi/lo gauge set if you convert the ports over to R134a, but DO NOT put in R134a refrigerant.)