Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Mountain Mud trail competion in my Soob

Gloyale

So I took my little sube to a Mud competion here in Oregon this weekend.

Pretty good time.  Super gnarly course, I opted out of certain obstacles but not many.

Here is the first 2 videos on youtube.  Other to be loaded and lots of other people were filming and sadi they would eb posting too so more to come.

I sustained almost all the damage of the run on this first drop in!  Twisted the driveline and ripped carrier out of its rubber but it all held for the rest of the run.

This was the second series of holes.  I had tettered in and out of this one twice before this video starts.  Dual ebrakes working great to get me out and around when the tires are in the air!  This is were the crowd starts to get behind me instead of ridiculing me.

Kinda brutal and short, but enjoy.

• Like 1

Another one.  last few minutes of my run.  They guy in the huge crawler was hell bent on beating me (even though he started 9 mins behind and was beating me no matter what :rolleyes: )  He had to cut me off right when I was getting my momentum for the final push.  At the end I'm stuck on a rock with a busted rear axle.

In the next video to come .....I have moved a rock, worked myself out, and make it out of the course in 3wd........after getting cut off AGAIN!!!  such is "racing" I guess ;)

It looks like a either a one piece driveshaft or a carrier bearing skidplade is in order.

Yeah, I worked on a carrier plate today.  Used a different bearing that sits higher in the rig.  Havent made the plate yet but got some ideas of what to do.

Other repairs made today:

New radius rod plate blocks....double crossbraced.

Sleeved and lengthed radius rods

Secondary Shock set installed on front A-arms (EA81 rear stockers)

Frame rail on passenger side, along with bumper and Bullbars that are tied to it, are bent........upwards about an inch.  It looks like the rail bent in just in front of the crossmember blocks, so it still drives sweet and straight.

I think I was the only competitor to drive to the event and back home.  (50 miles each way)

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!  Makes hammering my poor wheeler like a anvil worth it.:)

I can't see them ...... I want to what's the user name on YouTube ?

rebeldogx420x is his username

Here is another on that someone else posted.

This is about 2 mins later after that first guy cut me off.  I had to move a rock to get going again, and started to make some headway....then this Blazer cuts me off!  ugh.... He bounces it real high and then drops his front u-joint on a rock right next to me.  A piece of his u-joint flew into my car! 

Right about then I think I exploded a rear axle cup.  Blazer crawled out of the hole in 2wd.  I crawled out in 3wd:)

Couldn't make it up in 3wd from a stop on the hill, and I was overheating like crazy.....so I went to the bottom for a bit to cool off.

At the end of this video you can get a good look at the big tubeframe truck that cut me off the first time.....and the tweaker co-driver in the passenger side.

ANyhow.....here it is...more to come.

Edited by Gloyale

I woulda tagged that buggy with the front bumper.  Just a little love tap saying GTFO!

He stopped your forward momentum, makes me wonder what woulda happened if he never cut you off.

Impressive videos though, I like how you backed out of that hole, impressive

I woulda tagged that buggy with the front bumper.  Just a little love tap saying GTFO!

He stopped your forward momentum, makes me wonder what woulda happened if he never cut you off.

Impressive videos though, I like how you backed out of that hole, impressive

That thing out weights my poor little "Subacca" by 3000 l s. I didn't want to get rolled on. Hard to tell but he seemed right over me at one point.

I wonder if I could have made it if I had my momentum too. At the very top I still might have been stopped, but when he came up and passed I was still moving.

Thanks for the complements. Thank my buddy with the CJ-7 on 35s that didn't run. He filmed my posted the first 3 filmed

watching some of the videos makes it seem like the subaru did quite poor.Its was a mess of smoke and broken parts.On the other hand when viewed after watching what the expensive as hell buggy had to do to win,It seems like the subaru did quite well for itself when you look at the terrain and sheer size difference of the buggy vs subaru.

do you have any pics of the mods you made to the subaru?Also why did you add a second shock to the front?

Edited by Uberoo

watching some of the videos makes it seem like the subaru did quite poor.Its was a mess of smoke and broken parts.On the other hand when viewed after watching what the expensive as hell buggy had to do to win,It seems like the subaru did quite well for itself when you look at the terrain and sheer size difference of the buggy vs subaru.

do you have any pics of the mods you made to the subaru?Also why did you add a second shock to the front?

Nothing "broken" except a rear halfshaft....and that wasn't until after the blazer broke it's driveshaft next to me on my second attempt at the finish line.  I changed that out after the event and did a bunch more wheelin before drivng home.

Considering my tires are 235/75/15 (29's) and the next smallest tires in the event were 33's, I am happy with how I did.  I could build my subaru 3 times over for the cost of one of the Rockwell axles on that buggy.

Smoke was all from either tires or steam from the radiator overflow.  I was pushing it hard, running it hot.  That 2.2 burns alot of oil, needs a rebuild already so I stuck it in JUST for this event to hammer the hell out of it.  Ran it hard way into the red.  Still runs great no overheating on the highway.  go figur.

I keep having problems with the front a-arms and radius rods bending.  Hoping that better dampening on the front end will help absorb some of the energy from the big hits.  I am also anticipating a future where a replacement EA81 front strut isn't avavilable.  So I can keep running old struts for "location" of the suspension, and add the more generic shock for dampening.

Here is another video from someone else of the buggy cutting in front.

The group of kids shooting it make a pretty good peanut gallery.  Funny comments.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzhO79pwSXY

Edited by Gloyale

your still running EA81 suspension?Ea82 suspension is way moar better.

Full EA82 crossmember, axles, arms, radius rods, steering, tierods, and knuckles.  Only thing EA81 still is the struts.

here's a few more vids:

this one is me making the second attempt at the finish (after moveing a rock to get unstuck after the buggy cutoff)  I make good progress but somewhere in this video is were I broke my drivers side rear halfshaft.  The blazer breaks his front driveline, then crawls out in 2WD.  I follow him out in 3WD.  You can see clearly the drivers side wheel not spinning.  I couldn't make it up this steep part from a stop, and I was getting hot, so I went to the bottom to "smoke out" for a while and cool off.

Then after the cool down, the last push up and out.  Exhaust sounds terrible from being crushed almost closed at the tip.  You can here I think the balls and cage clacking inside the broken cup on the rear axle.  At least I finished ;)

EA82 struts have more travel than EA81. FWD struts have the most travel of any of the EA81 or EA82 struts.Just have to change the tophats.

Even so, they aren't up to the task of really dampening the force of real offroading with large tires.

My secondary shock setup is inspired by Turbones T-cased hatch.

It does make a big difference pounding down the trail.

I haven't noticed a problem with my suspension setup, so what does the duel shock actually fix?

Doesn't "fix" anything.

Just improves the handling on rough roads.  And I am hoping it will help prevent bending control arms so often.