Ultimate Subaru Message Board

swapping 1991 engine in justy 4wd ecvt

HI  I have a1991 justy 4wd 4door with a ecvt tranny  the 6th digit says 8 on the  fire wall.  I have a rod through the side and am looking to put another motor in but don't have a clue what works anyone done this or can help..  confused  thanks rhon

The only motor that works is one out of another justy. It was the only car that used that model of engine. If you use a pre-1989 engine you will have to swap your head on to it because the EFI heads are different than the carburated ones and the intake will not bolt up.

Install a new oil pump on the replacement engine before you put it in. The oil pumps are a known weak point and that's probably why yours chucked a rod.

I do justys alot the ectv had pump shaft problems new pump shaft every time with new keeper ring engine must be 90 or newer or will not have the boltup on block for axle stub have two justy engines here. Is a big job engine and trans come out come apart and go back in i a'm uhsaly converting them to 5 speeds not fixing ectv i whould be concerend that engine may have broken ectv when let go tends to take out tranny berrings when that happens

to lumby:  thanks I wasn't sure the blocks were different for the ecvt.  changing it to 5 speed sounds great but It would be a learning experience for this old dog.  my computer skills stink too.

The only motor that works is one out of another justy. It was the only car that used that model of engine. If you use a pre-1989 engine you will have to swap your head on to it because the EFI heads are different than the carburated ones and the intake will not bolt up.

Install a new oil pump on the replacement engine before you put it in. The oil pumps are a known weak point and that's probably why yours chucked a rod.

thanks for the help I'm still in the scratching my head mode.

the block is same ectv or five speed as long as after 90 as they whent to same length axles on both sides to do this had to bolt axle stub to block so block has more bolt up points on back. Have used a older block but had to use the long ps axle from 88 justy and use outer cv end from the 90 to work

I do justys alot the ectv had pump shaft problems new pump shaft every time with new keeper ring engine must be 90 or newer or will not have the boltup on block for axle stub have two justy engines here. Is a big job engine and trans come out come apart and go back in i a'm uhsaly converting them to 5 speeds not fixing ectv i whould be concerend that engine may have broken ectv when let go tends to take out tranny berrings when that happens

one is is a 92 justy efi motor is cuppled to the ectv both good and low miles had some oil leaks but ran very good whould whant to put in new oil pump and rear main seal ect before install was keeping it for my 90 ectv justy but i sold it so do not need the spare engine whould sell motor and trans as unit for 1000$ or motor by itself for 700$

I'm 45min from kelowna bc  on hyway 6 is funny had a justy come up needed a motor just last night no worrys have two good ones now. Are you confedent enuff to go thru the engine or whould you need me to do that I whould do mains rods oil pump rear main seal front crank seals timing cover waterpump timing belt cam seal addjust valves and valve cover gasket before i whould install any justy motor costs a bitt but then will last forever.

over 80 of those motors i know it well and have seen many failed my justy engine has 12years on its 1rst rebiuld and i do oil pump gears every 75000kms as thiss was the weak link. When checking justy motor let it warm up till rads hot let it idle and listen any chain noise problem flickering oil light problem bottom end rattle problem and exhaust should sound even

checked the justy this morning and it was knocking and water pump leaking.  It had over heated just a few details left out when talking the deal.  SO what's your price? and do you know about shipping?  thanks for the info and great communication.

i will have to price out the berrings and seals and pull pan on thiss one make shure is standard berrings and is in good condition shiping is a bitt tough were are you how many kms from kelowna  BC i will have a awnser for you on monday if thiss engine is good enuff or not