Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Taking shift knob off?

There's a little hole just below the the top of the knob, it's a pin you need to push out so it'll come off. A small screw driver or punch will get it out easy.

See it?

-Pat

Yeah I see the pin. I damaged one of my screw drivers trying to hammer it out...It doesn't want to budge.

Try a nail and a big hammer, mine was stuck pretty good too. Just needed a little anger ;) you can also try it from the other side to make it budge a little. It's also best to put it into second or reverse so you can hammer on it good, also a use a peice of wood to lean up aginst.

Try a nail and a big hammer, mine was stuck pretty good too. Just needed a little anger ;) you can also try it from the other side to make it budge a little. It's also best to put it into second or reverse so you can hammer on it good, also a use a peice of wood to lean up aginst.

A piece of wood? Like to brace the stick against what? drivers seat?

Yeah brase it up agins the seat so you can really hammer on it. A chunk of 4x6 or a peice of fire wood.

Also if your tired of messing around with it tonight, put some WD or rust oil something that's lubricant for rusty stuff, put some on tonight and let it sit then hammer on it some more with roughly the same size as the pin to push it out.

So I don't know if you can tell but I got out there with nails and a mallet and started whacking away. I tried one side, nail bent a bit and got stuck. So I tried the other side, nail bent more, and got stuck. I managed to pull one out with a set of pliers and a lot of patience, but the other nail broke off and just the smallest bit is sticking out of one side....This pin will not move. Any more advice? (Picture is from when I double failed with 2 nails stuck in there.)e8i4xJk.jpg

• Like 1

Oh and if worst comes to worst, you could dtill it out. You want a bit that just larger than the small hole that goes through the pin, then go up from there. And then just get a new pin.

The drill will fallow the path of least resistance, so the other end of the pin.

Oh and if worst comes to worst, you could dtill it out. You want a bit that just larger than the small hole that goes through the pin, then go up from there. And then just get a new pin.

The drill will fallow the path of least resistance, so the other end of the pin.

Great idea. I just put some knock er' loose spray inside the end of the hole that is accessible to me at this point. I will try a drill later when I have a pin that could replace that. 

Just a suggestion, if you drill it out you might now I say might, make the hole a little larger. But it prolly won't do anything.

If you can't find one you could prolly find a nail that's the same size that fits snugly and make it work.

Hope that help :)

-Pat

once its off you can take the car to a machine shop and have the end threaded to accept the screw-on shift knob of your choice. I had to do this to the Scout as some yahoo JB Welded the original shift knob onto the stick, I wanted to cut it down a little anyway so I drove it to the machine shop, hacksawed the offending part off and had them thread the end again. worked a treat and simple as pie!

quietly,

timothy

Just a suggestion, if you drill it out you might now I say might, make the hole a little larger. But it prolly won't do anything.

If you can't find one you could prolly find a nail that's the same size that fits snugly and make it work.

Hope that help :)

-Pat

My Dad just got home, He said he has some punches in the garage that will work way better than the nail I tried. Looking forward to getting that darn thing off tomorrow.  Thanks for the help! 

once its off you can take the car to a machine shop and have the end threaded to accept the screw-on shift knob of your choice. I had to do this to the Scout as some yahoo JB Welded the original shift knob onto the stick, I wanted to cut it down a little anyway so I drove it to the machine shop, hacksawed the offending part off and had them thread the end again. worked a treat and simple as pie!

quietly,

timothy

Ok, I never thought of this. I might have to have this done just because of the sheer inconvenience of the pin knob. Although I do plan on keeping the knob the same as stock. I love the retro "AWD" button knob. The only thing I'd change it to is a flight simulator joystick and wire the AWD switch to one of the buttons on the joystick. Just a fun little idea I thought up! 

• Like 1

It sounds like you want to replace the whole shifter mechanism, and just wire the button to a new button...couple thoughts on that, if I read you correctly.

1--Why not just pull the whole thing? You have to undo two 14mm bolts holding the drive-shaft up, and lower it so you can undo the shifter handle mechanism. It's bolted from below with several 12mm nuts that you can't reach without either a really flexible wrench or dropping the drive shaft. (Don't worry, the drive shaft is super easy to reinstall).

2--If memory serves, the switch on your knob is NOT an on/off switch, it's a bi-pole switch. It operates two circuits: at all times one circuit is ON and the other is OFF. It controls a vacuum thingy that in turn manipulates the 4wd control device. If the button is up, circuit A is on and you are in two-wheel drive, if the button is depressed then circuit B is on and you are in four-wheel. Just keep that in mind when you choose the new switch.

• 2 weeks later...

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am curious to know that you did to make it functional, or did you just plop it back on with a generous helping of duct/electrical/gaffers tape and call it good enough?

(or is there one less flight sim joystick living in a Subaru and not plying the virtual skies)

curiously,

timothy

Edited by Tsuru

Did you ever get this resolved?

I am curious to know that you did to make it functional, or did you just plop it back on with a generous helping of duct/electrical/gaffers tape and call it good enough?

(or is there one less flight sim joystick living in a Subaru and not plying the virtual skies)

curiously,

timothy

The only progress i've managed to make is knocking the pin out successfully. I'm waiting on getting a bigger crown royal bag and i might go with the crown royal shift boot. I've also been thinking about keeping the original shift knob in, just for the old car feel. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ahhh, the mystique of the venerable purple of the bag that once held Crown Royal.

Nothing voices "class" or perhaps "I know a bartender" more firmly than a Crown Royal bag that has found another purpose in its existence.

Good on you man! good on you...

quietly,

timothy

Ahhh, the mystique of the venerable purple of the bag that once held Crown Royal.

Nothing voices "class" or perhaps "I know a bartender" more firmly than a Crown Royal bag that has found another purpose in its existence.

Good on you man! good on you...

quietly,

timothy

I really love your adjective use and the way you describe situations. You should write my autobiography or speak at my funeral or something...