Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1991 Turbo legacy, and a trip

1982gl4

A lot of people over here seem to place them there. Some of our WRX's had them placed there as an option from the dealers as well. I like it due to the visibility, but it blocks some of my fuel gauge which bothers me some. Next summer when I get it back out I plan on adding a couple of gauges so I may move it somewhere else. Funny you should comment on this today. It was the first day in about 6 weeks I've moved this car due to the salt we have on the roads this time of year. it was -10 and the car started right up (Even more amazing my 72 VW bus started up too!), it is now sitting it its winter parking spot awaiting spring.

try this for the mount location  and wow thats cold i love living where i am townsville always hot here 26-35+ how they both run 

post-50998-0-28790800-1387090308_thumb.jpg

• 4 months later...
Dove into some projects today. it started off with me wanting to clean the carpets, and ended up with me pulling the headliner out and starting in on the manual seat belt swap! The seat belt swap went well with the belts themselves.  I didn't have the lower b pillar cover so I cut a small section of the US ones allowing the belts to move, I may have to notch them a bit more when the time comes. I have the upper trim for the a pillar. I'm going to modify my headliner (basically add some to the edges), and recover it to make everything appear stock instead of cutting the auto belts up and using the stock a pillar trim. Next weekend I need to pull the sunroof and see if I can reseal that to keep me from getting soaked every time it rains. I took a brief look at the sunroof after the headliner had come out. The drain tubes have shrunk to the point of almost not being attached in the front. It looks like a leak could be there for sure... and more in the other typical places.

Drivers side in place 

1_zps371185a5.jpg 

The dreaded headliner gap

3_zps177f4910.jpg

The notch I cut in the lower trim.

4_zpsc22ed423.jpg

Headliner out

5_zpsd3376722.jpg

Ceaned the carpet, they still dont look great, but I'm working on it.

6_zps9ecf5f6d.jpg

passenger side, upper trim not installed yet

7_zps0eeebcb1.jpg

sunroof drain falling off 

9_zps4b06da3e.jpg
  • Like 1

Yesterday it was raining all day so I didn't take the sunroof out of this and worked on my datsun down at work instead. Today however it wasn't raining (as bad anyway) I was able to pull the sunroof assembly with the help of my dad. Took it all apart cleaned it up and sealed it. Hopefully no more leaks! I also blew out the drains, and ziptied them back on so they wont fall off. It had been resealed at one point on the drivers side. It looks like whoever did it, did it from inside of the car just on the drivers side (so not very well). The wind deflector was also removed and the nuts were never put back on causing the rails to be loose and probably to leak as well. Unfortunately my parts car was also missing the deflector so I just put some nuts back on and called it a day. My power steering parts also came in this week so I will fix that soon. Next weekend is modify and install headliner! Only one pic for today. Apart on the kitchen table. 

1_zps487f1025.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Headliner is done! Thanks to a friend that came over.  Started by putting the headliner back in the car, and then cutting both front outer edges. From the B pillar back there is no need to change it as the trim all fits from there back. I then cut new cardboard to go in the place of the stuff I had just cut out, and used foil tape to hold it all together (I saw someone on another forum using it to repair dents he had in a headliner before he recovered it. The tape seamed like it would work great for this as it holds some shape as well.) After the taping was done, it was pulled back out and taped on the back side, and the edges. Then it was on to recovering. I picked up some gray suede at JoAnn Fabric. Recovering was easy as I have done that a few times now, and then we installed it. Up next I had to trim the old felt seals for the auto belts so the new seat belt trim would clear and sit flush. After that everything matched right up. I just have to deal with my seat belt light now. 

Foiled up

1_zps424c5a46.jpg

2_zps357da8f5.jpg

Glued but not cut 

3_zps265f2427.jpg

Installed 

4_zps7def2b70.jpg

No more gap! 

5_zps0e8b9b4f.jpg

6_zpsd9ee0392.jpg

Where I trimmed the seal, Can't even tell on the driver's side. May have to cut the passenger side again. 

7_zps821bc528.jpg

8_zps6bce8d9d.jpg
  • Like 1

Thanks! It's coming along, I still have a long way to go, but it just takes time.

Tonight I pulled the power steering rack out of the car and apart and started in on the rebuild. So far I only have about an hour into it. I'll be finishing it up and re aligning it tomorrow. Can't wait to start driving this again! Hopefully no more leaks. After that its time to start looking for a transmission. 

I put my rack back together today. I ran into one problem, where one of the new seals for the pinion housing tore as I was sliding parts together. Luckily I had another rack at home out of a forester that I took some parts from to complete this one. It's all back together and not leaking anymore (from the rack anyway..) New power steering lines went in, and I did a four wheel alignment after I put the rack back in. I was surprised to see the rear out as I just did it when I put my sway bars on last year. 

1_zpse8dfe74f.jpg

I'm glad we have a press at work. In order to change the lower seals in the pinion housing the bearing needs to be pressed off. 

2_zps41bf304a.jpg

3_zps0949e06a.jpg

Up next I'll be looking for a 6 speed hopefully, and I also found another oil line leaking today on the passenger's side head just above the up pipe so that is going to be changed this week after I call the subaru dealership!
  • Like 2

Today was a pretty productive day. After I rebuilt the entire exhaust on my jetta, I got to work on this some. Replaced, and relocated the purge valve. One of the several old 2.2's I had around donated one, it was slightly different from the turbo, as it didn't have a pig tail, but still plugged in just fine and it works. My parts car had one relocated as well, but i tested in and it didn't work. So far no check engine light. I also disconnected the seatbelt light due to the manual belt conversion it never stopped blinking, it was super annoying at night. So nice not to have lights on everywhere! 

In it's new location 

2_zps67fe4222.jpg

3_zps6d7ff351.jpg

Just a nice pic from the drive home

1_zps4fc0f372.jpg
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
Replaced my rear cv boots tonight. That went pretty easy. Good thing I did them, I lost 2 more in as many weeks driving it sparingly. I guess they just gave up. I love rust free cars, both my rear trailing arm bolts came right out. I made sure to antiseize  them before they went back in as well. I also replaced my diff hanger bushings. Noticed a bit more noise and vibrations at lower rpm's under load in 2nd and 3rd, but there's no more banging which is great. And then on a bad note, on my way home my abs module decided it had enough, and dumped brake fluid all over the engine bay. Time to put the abs delete in that i have had kicking around for the better part of the year. More to come this weekend! 

1_zps0fec8e27.jpg

2_zps09182a96.jpg

3_zps806ca99e.jpg

4_zpsca358c8e.jpg
  • Like 1

The progress from yesterday/today. Started off by pulling the two front lines and mastercylider out of one of my parts cars. I didn't realize the master was different. Thinking about it, it is obvious that they would be. 

1_zpsb25e8265.jpg

Someone put drilled and slotted rotors on the old girl. The car looks rustier than it is. It was from colorado and the lines were all in great shape. The car is just rusty in the typical rear quarter spots. The interior is trashed, and it needs an engine. Best for parts at this point. 

2_zpsc2959aa7.jpg

All the parts. Lines to the proportioning valve, and the valve itself are from a second gen brighton wagon. They only issue I had was the lines to the rear were just slightly short for the valve. I just had to bend them a bit to get them to reach. 

3_zps3ce207dc.jpg

My bay empty of all the brake parts, had to pull the booster off because the lines are routed behind it. 

4_zps91dcb9e6.jpg

Both first gens in the shop at the same time. I found a bad pin the peddle assembly so i swapped it out with on in the black car. 

5_zps902f6ea2.jpg

I had a friend come over and help bleed the brakes. Took a while to get all the air out of it. On my test drive one of the vacuum lines came off the boost controller, this was a very bad thing to have happen, as this car is a lot more fun with 13 psi. Time to spend some more money on mods.

6_zps6188ee3a.jpg

60p7sbl.jpg

Now I have more room for fmic piping.
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
Got a small package today. 

1_zps60d0503d.jpg

I was psyched to see that it came with a kartboy short throw, and a positive shift kit. I also ordered the dccd switches tonight, and got a new hydraulic clutch hose, and a couple bushings that it was missing/ I wanted to replace while I had it out and apart. More too come soon.... 
  • Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Got the rest of the swap installed today. All fluids, exhaust back on (still need to get the 6 speed hanger for the down pipe hopefully I can get one from subaru) Got the rear rotors installed after painting the hubs to keep them from rusting. Torqued everything and took it for a couple of drives this afternoon. The car drives amazing now, no wines from the trans, no grinding, no bad noises of any kind with exception of the chopped tires, I rotated them, and they are chopped on the front now, I want to get new tires at some point soon anyway, I never really liked these. The car feels a bit heavier, but feels much quicker than it used to. The closer gears of the 6 speed go very well with the 2.2t. Now I'm just waiting on the shift boot, and the dccd pro and I will be done with the drivetrain swap. 

• Like 1

It is pretty cool inside that plain. I was able to sit in the pilot seat as well. Something I will remember for a long time! 

Got my shift boot in today. I got to install it along with the trim ring, and bolts. Redline makes a great product, I'm very pleased with how it looks, and how it fits. Modifying the center console was as simple as trimming some plastic, and making some mounting tabs. Also ordered the exhaust hanger. it should be tomorrow and then I can put that on. All I have left after that is the DCCD. 

1_zpsf16322c9.jpg
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Thanks guys. I don't remember the name of the vw owner, I have it written down on a card. He was a skinny guy, so it doesn't sound like the same person. I haven't done anything to it recently it is sitting in winter storage next to my vw bus(s), datsun, gl wagon, and the brat along with a couple of friends cars. I plan on doing a couple of things to it this winter, but I have a long list of projects to get to before I get back to this. 

Thanks Nico, you had some very nice ones in the past. I remember seeing some of the threads on the bbs. I'm pretty excited to use the dccd, although it will probably never be in the snow. They use way too much road salt/brine here to drive anything nice in the winter. I'm perfectly happy leaving it indoors all winter, and letting my legacy wagon suck up the salt. 

• Like 1

Pulled the spare 22t today. The black car gave a bit of a fight, nothing some torches couldn't take care of. I guess its expected with 270k and a very salty northeast life. I took it for its last drive yesterday. Started right up after jumping the starter. The drive was super sketchy with bald summer tires, 3 inches of fresh snow, and no brakes. I'll be starting the engine build soon! I'm sure I'll have some questions along the way. I'm still undecided as to what exactly I'm going to be doing as far as the build. I'm aiming for 300whp at least. I'm doing a lot of research as I go along. I took a couple photos from today, but my phone went dead after a while due to no cell signal in the shop, I'll be sure to take more as I start tearing down the engine. 

1_zps935c6233.jpg

2_zpsa194c516.jpg

Just a bit of rust. 

3_zps40c7f662.jpg

One I took last year, just so I can remember it in its prime. 

1_zps6ddf1553.jpg

• 2 weeks later...