Ultimate Subaru Message Board

My 1991 Turbo legacy, and a trip

1982gl4

I disassembled the 2.2t down to the short block today. All was going great. Pulled the valve covers off. 

The engine looked super clean. 

1_zps73fa3e98.jpg

I pulled the intake off without any problems, as well as the goose neck I've had the bolts break off in the block, and that usually turns into a bad time. 

2_zps707ee008.jpg

Had a check engine light for knock sensor, I can't imagine why. 

4_zpsfdca0fdc.jpg

And then I had a bad time. I didn't even try with it, and it just snapped off. 

6_zpsdef2505b.jpg

Right now I have the broken bolt soaking in penetrating oil, my dad as a knack with this sort of thing, and he thinks we will be able to get it out. He had a couple of tricks we will be trying. But I'm still open to suggestions. I've taken 100's of ej engines apart, and never have had a head bolt break. Guess I should buy a lottery ticket.

I've heard of it happening, and I've seen it on the forums. If it was a normal 2.2 I wouldn't worry about it all that much, and just pull another one out of my shed :D  I was just hoping it wouldn't happen to one of my closed deck blocks. Going to let it soak for a few days, and see how things go. 

I know a machine shop that can get that out for you. If you have too, just ship the one half to me and be patient. I will try and get it handled for you. Shipping to and from Edmonds, Wa though :unsure: If you decide to go this route PLEASE don't touch it first!!

-Jeff

Edited by Crazyeights

First post on this particular Subaru enthusiast community and it's definitely worth it to be on this thread.  Absolutely outstanding work.  With the 6 speed swap, why not go for an LGT conversion or even an STi swap?  The engine bay looks like it has plenty of room in it to fit either of these and they could be a bit stronger. 

Just an observation on a fantastic job.  I do custom turbo work so if you want something a bit different, give me a PM.  You can check me out on www.legacygt.com under the same username and see some of the work I've done.

:)

First post on this particular Subaru enthusiast community and it's definitely worth it to be on this thread.  Absolutely outstanding work.  With the 6 speed swap, why not go for an LGT conversion or even an STi swap?  The engine bay looks like it has plenty of room in it to fit either of these and they could be a bit stronger. 

Just an observation on a fantastic job.  I do custom turbo work so if you want something a bit different, give me a PM.  You can check me out on www.legacygt.com under the same username and see some of the work I've done.

That's essentially his plan, and why he is building the spare 22t motor. It'll be getting dohc heads, and upgraded turbo etc.

Thanks man, its taken a lot of time to get it this far, and its not even close to done yet. Bratman18 nailed it, the plans are to take the 2.2 turbo and modify it. It will be getting ej20g heads most likely, a larger turbo, new forged internals, and potentially a harness swap so I can run newer management on it.

Even though I felt like crap today I decided to get off the couch and do something with my life. I pulled the oil pan off, and the pistons out without a hiccup. I then decided it was time to split the case. As I was heating the bolts/block I was wondering to myself why do I live here. As a car guy I wonder this often.... The northeast is really not the best place for cars. Anyway the thrust bearing looks like it has seen better days, and the crank has worn on the case a tiny bit. Hopefully its still good enough to work with after I get the head bolt taken out. 

2_zps380a86fb.jpg

1_zpsb049924d.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
Picked up this wrx last week. It looks nice, but it is super, super rusty. The rear strut towers have holes the size of my head in them, and there are no rocker panels to speak of. I have worked on this car for years, and know the history. One owner car, it has been pretty well taken care of. It now has 200k on it so its due for a timing belt. But it has a new cobb turbo back, access port, cobb heat shield. New radiator, front brakes, subframe in the front, control arms, power steering rack, the list goes on. I'm thinking it will be a harness swap for this, I'll be taking some other goodies off from it for my legacy as well! Not sure if I want to try and tackle the dash swap others have done, or have the harnesses merged, anyway a lot of good parts to be used here! 

1_zps9b886f68.jpg

2_zps19636b54.jpg

3_zps29329b89.jpg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

So I haven't done much with this the last few months, but the other night I decided I need to get it ready for summer, as its almost here. Pushed it out of its hibernation spot and started working on the dccd controller install, I had a spare seatbelt housing in my black legacy, so I pulled that out, and sketchily gutted the seatbelts. When they say do not remove that cover they mean it. The springs are crazy strong! Anyway after the seatbelts were gutted, i took the shell, and welded it together and made a bracket to hold the controller firmly in place. I don't have pics right now, but I will make sure to upload them in the next couple updates. I went to radio shake the other night as well, and picked up the last few things I needed in install it. More to come soon! 

I actually set some time aside the last couple of days to work on this a bit. I did a couple of things that I had been wanting to do all winter, but just couldn't come up with the time. Now that is starting to get nice out up here, the pressure is on to get some things done so I can enjoy it this summer. I swapped the wrx peddles I had over, this was a very easy conversion. The clutch and break peddle pads just swapped over, and the accelerator peddle had to be modified a little. I had to cut the top side of the peddle bracket, and grind it down a bit to accept the legacy throttle cable, but it was only about 2min of work. I also wired up the dccdpro. I didn't like the connectors that it came with, so I went and looked for something that would work better. I found a connector that fit perfectly for the dccd manual button. A heated seat switch connector for a 2002 outback fit perfect. The control knob, I wasn't so lucky. I found one that I made fit, but its not 100% perfect. Other than that the install was very strait forward, I have yet to try it, but I do like having those extra switches in my center console! 

5_zpsepz0vdly.jpg

Connectors 

1_zps0ftfpncw.jpg

Switches placed next to the e-brake

4_zps7c6jprun.jpg

• 2 months later...
Long time no update, haven't been working on this much, basically just driving the heck out of it! I found a set of 2005 wrx seats and swapped them in, I'm working on a way to lower them, but haven't had much luck. I'll post more as I finish that up and have so decent photos of the project. Right now i have them sitting about half an inch lower than they normally do, but thats not enough for me. The plan was to have them reupholstered to match the stock ones, but after I did a lot of work to a friends car they seem to want to back out of the deal now..... I'm also have some issues with the center diff I'm thinking, It is binding a low speeds combined with sharp corners. I'm wondering if my DCCD pro was programed for a normal tps vs  reverse. I was thinking that that my cause this. Anyway here are a few photos. 

4_zpsyzuhaw7p.jpg

2_zps31dbyqhk.jpg

1_zps8fjpzjuy.jpg

3_zpsibozexjh.jpg
  • Like 1

• 5 months later...

It went to paint this weekend. Usually my dad and I do all the body work and spray them, but I have a neighbor with a body shop, he is also a good friend of mine, I traded him a Passat a while back so now I'm going to get this car painted. Can't even wait for it to look good! Hopefully going to place the fmic at the same time so I don't have to cut the bumper after paint.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

Long time no update, its almost ready for paint, my friend and I kept having real work that needed to be done before we got to this, it is now in the shop until it gets painted. Got the FMIC fitted, bumper all cut up, looks good. Hopefully I'll have some more updates later this week! 

IMG_2376_zpsv5zjprgt.jpg

IMG_2378_zpshhd5tnbf.jpg

IMG_2380_zpssueqvqk0.jpg
  • Like 1