Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Okay,

So I ventured out and purchased a 2001 forester with a new trans and rebuilt engine (still slaps :horse: ) The guys who rebuilt it arn't exactly subaru mechanics, but anyhow I drove it in the rain and after about ten  minutes, I noticed condensation and water on the floorboard. When I got home I found an inch of water in the back seat area floor board/ drivers side.  I found no holes or significant rust underneath.

I am missing the plastic cover for under the engine, could this be causing the water issue?

Chris W.

Also any know of a brush guard that will fit the 01 forester?

does it have a sunroof?   it probably does and it's probably leaking - clogged drain hose or otherwise compromised.  or if it has roof racks those could be leaking.

leak is probably coming from up top, not underneath, the plastic cover is not necessary, most are missing by this point and it's certainly not causing the internal leak.

Edited by grossgary

After spending the day shop vacing the water off the floor boards, I plan on the hose idea and seeing if I can pin point where the water is entering from.

But upon further inspection of the underside of the vehicle, someone has already underlined the body with the textured bed liner stuff. It looks as though they filled in some holes real close to the vacinity of the water buildup. I noticed a couple of holes that could be plugged that may be causing the issue ( the holes are located just beyond the mud-flaps so the water is passing right by the flap).

Passenger side is completly dry! It's safe to say that this isn't the first time it's been wet, I noticed some rust on the bolts for the front seat.

ALSO DOES THE REAR SPEED SENSOR WIRING HAVE A HARNESS OR CONNECTOR THAT RUNS UNDER THE CARPET OF THE DRIVER SIDE?

Both rear speed sensors are giving error codes, and I find it odd that they are both bad at the same time.

Thanks everyone!

Chris

be nice to pull the headliner or roof rack and find out exactly why it's leaking...if it's rust then it's likely back and worse in a year.  but with enough sealant outside i'd think you should calm it for the most part...if that's where it's coming from.

all the weather stripping around the roof racks and center pieces are in tact and no noticeable rust anywhere on the roof. I did however, find it interesting that the water runs down towards the windshield but I'm curious as to where it goes from there.

I'm going to try the hose tomarrow, and I will post some pics as well.

Chris W.

****CELEBRATING MY 100TH POST*********

Edited by noob2soob22

an inch of water is a lot for ''driving in the rain''.

i have had leak issues with the sunroof in my 97GT but that was always clogged drains.

and it was usually worse when parked than when driving.

especially considering that the hill i park on funneled the water toward the clogged drain.

a roof rack leak would have to be '' roof rack missing with open bolt holes in a hurricane'' to collect that much water.

or maybe a week of rain.

i would check the windshield seal on the bottom, driver side.

incase it is possible that the water moved from front to rear.

but depending on the time frame between picking up the car and the wet floor i would suspect a window was left open by someone other than you.

the floor was already wet when you got in and eventually your feet got wet.

an inch or water is a ton.

any amount that is a puddle above the carpet is a ton.

somebody left a window open.

imho.

Edited by johnceggleston