Ultimate Subaru Message Board

2006 EJ25 doch head swap for 2005 EJ25 soch

okay so i get my part tomorrow lets see if it starts if not i will let you guys know as soon as possible,,, as the trigger marks in the sprocket i am still searching a picture to compare the two and see 

here is the backside of a cam - see there are trigger points all around the circumference. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1998-Subaru-2-5-DOHC-Camshaft-Gear-Cam-Gear-Sproket-Impreza-Forester-Outback-/221221780795?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3381d87d3b&vxp=mtr

yours will look different and has hash marks instead of circles, but the idea is the same.  you just need to look at them.

if your two cam sprockets are different then the timing marks are off and the cams sprockets need switched.

same goes for crank - except it has tabs instead of points like this.

here is a crank gear with the tabs/ears sticking out.  again - they have to be identical or swap them:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SUBARU-2-5L-ENGINE-CRANK-TIMING-BELT-GEAR-1995-2005-XX-2-F20271-/190770975930?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2c6ad614ba&vxp=mtr

• Like 1

okay so put in a new ignition coil and still no spark everything is connected right and in working order but for some reason i am not getting   electricity to my spark plugs does any body know if the cam sprocket for a 2006 DOCH ej25 are different from a 2005 SOCH ej25 if not i am just going to put my soch heads on my doch engine and stop messing with it because i don't got that much money to spend around to figure this out 

Like i said its is not getting electricity to my spark plugs i dont  have those fancy computers to plug in into the dash and it doesn't turn on so i cannot take it to autozone to chechk the engine light

any opinion on this ???? 

okay its there any instruction around on how to switch this two cam sprocket 

how will  i set them equal to the same timing on them do they use the same line for time or it has to be set up with different timing ?

yours is a JDM engine so i'm unsure....i don't know if the JDM engine sprockets will swap or not...

you want to count/compare the sprockets first, to make sure you know what the issue is and what you need.

the cam sprockets have a key way and only install one way, so no worries on setting them or timing. 

remove the timing belt with all the timing marks lined up so that it's in a noninterference position.

okay thanks but i am just gonna swap the heads i found a cheap place to fix the other ones i am just swap them 

By chance do you know the torque that the bolts have from the head to the block ?

i did swap the sensors but still nothing 

Are you sure about swapping the cams that it will work because i dont want to do that then if it dosent work i still will have to swap heads 

Now i am just trying to find a place that will sell me the trubo head gasket i found some on ebay but i cannot differentiate from a trubo one to regular one

Any suggestions 

If swapping sprockets does not work, swapping the heads will not fix it either.

You need to swap both the crank sprocket and the upper cam sprocket on the left side. (The one the sensor reads)

I'd also like to ask before you go pulling more stuff apart, have you checked all of the fuses?

okay so i got a big problem the motor is in and everything in working order it started and everything it has the SOCH heads on the block for some reason the head on the passenger side is leaking out water 

Any guesses keep in mind I torqued the bolts is it possible that the bolts a not torque correctly and leaking water because the head on the driver side is not leaking water at all it is the passenger side only . 

My spark plugs are clean and not soaked 

OR    Can it be that the block seal is damage and leaking water when is been compress ?? any Guesses 

I think there is a plug on the bottom of the head that goes into the water jacket. If that's loose it will leak. Are you sure the leak is from the bottom and not water dripping down the back from the top?

You need to poke around with a good flashlight and get a better idea of exactly where the leak is coming from.

• Like 1

it only starts to leak when i start the car and to me it looked like oil coming out from the head cover but the mechanic that help me was saying that the head cover where leaking oil and water i dont know i am  going to tighten everything together and see if it stops leaking and check those plugs that you told 

okay so finally figure out why it was leaking the head cover were loose now its running fine i think i got a bad spark plug cable because   when i start the car it will shut off right after

okay so everything good the only problem is that my RPM are low they are around 500 not even at a 1000 when the car starts it will start right up but then the RPm fall very low 

Other problem was that my EGR valve sound like something is scratching inside my Engine light was on and it said that the MAP sensor was bad 

Any ideas why my RPM are so low and it does it when i am in parking on or a stop in a  light sometimes it will shut off on me because of the low RPM

but when its running it does not shut off at all it drives fine 

Thanks I found out that my fuel injectors are sucking in air due to that I change the o rings on them to universal ones I bought the original ones probably will get them today and I found a hose that was leaking air too my rpm are more calm but still they need a little improvement 

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys I have been running my forester for about 3 weeks now n I love it this project wouldn't have been possible without you guys  I appreciated for the help.   hopefully I can post some pic up so you guys can see the car  thanks for everything I will keep in touch with any upgrades that I do on it 

okay so my 05 Forester had a bad SOCH EJ25 motor the engine had leaked water to the piston and my headgasket were blew 

I bought a JDM DOCH EJ25 that it was suppose to be from 2000 n up didnt quiet figure what year exactly

when i got it i try to put the new engine as it came but the wiring harness was different because my engine had a electrical throttle body and the engine that i got was cable those two throttle body are not interchangeable  at least where they attach to the manifold So from electrical to cable  throttle body the entire wiring harness changes 

i did manege to put my original SOCH intake manfold on the new DOCH engine with the original wiring harness ,, there were two extra cam sensor that the soch wiring harness doesn't have for the DOCH motor  some guys told me i didnt need them so i plug the JDM motor into the car and everything fit in right ,,the only problem that i encounter was that the timing on the cam from the DOCH are different from the SOCH so the engine wont start since the ECU is reading different timing

One option that i had was to change the cam  from the DOCH engine to my original ones from the SOCH or put my SOCH heads on the DOCH engine 

I eventually took out the DOCH heads from the new motor and put the SOCH heads from the bad motor which i took to the machine shop to fix and put everything together again and plug in everything 

The engine started like i champ and is currently running perfect   so eventually what i figure out that the DOCH motor wont start on a SOCH car ECU because of the timing on the cam unless you switch the cam to the originals or change the motor from DOCH to SOCH heads 

You can also change the ECU and cables but it was too expensive for me 

That is my rundown of what i did on the motor 

Actually it was not that expensive I bought the car for 1800 the New motor cost me 900 with 45000 miles shipped to my house n the machine shop was 250 bucks so in total the forester comes at 3300  for a 05 forester not bad n the little things like oil n belts it was all done DIY n it was my first ever subaru repair they are not that bad cars to work on