Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Forester 2013 vs 2014 Terrible Buy Back

I am feeling betrayed, lied to and cheated by Subaru. I bought a 2013 2.5XT Touring in September 2012. I was very happy, until December 2012 when the 2014's were announced.  why was I not told about the 2014 redesign in September. Why was all the web chatter talking about a re-design in 2015? This is my 4th Subaru and I had not owned one in 20 years. My wife bought an Outback in 2010 and I test drove an XT at the time and loved it. So I waited and saved and bought what I thought was the best Subaru I could get for my money.

Then the 2014's came out and I kept hearing about all the great improvements. When I brought my 2013 to the dealer for service and decide to test drive the 2014. That is when my disappointment started.  The 2014 XT gets better gas mileage around town than my 2013 gets on the Highway. The 2014 has more leg room (I am 6' 2 and about once a month get in too fast and hit my leg on the curved dash when getting in and now have a permanent sore mark). The Dash is redesigned and it does feel a lot like an Outback. It rides smoother and can run on Regular gas, not always premium. I fell in love with the new Forester (especially the gas mileage).

I went to the dealer and they told me that since the new models came out the buy back program is not very good on 2013 Foresters.  Plus, the car dealer is having a hard time selling the other XT's on the lot. No one wants the Cars because the 2014's are so much better in all aspects.

My XT has 7600 miles on it and they would only give me $25000 with buy back for a 6 month old car that was $31,200.  I expected some loss (maybe $4000 max) from driving the car off the lot, but not $6000.  That makes the buy back program no better than any other car dealer. Maybe even worse.

I'm not having buyers remorse, just loyal Subaru customer sadness.  All the things that I thought made a Subaru a great investment... Don't apply to the 2013 Forester XT's.

This is my hard luck, but a fair warning to everyone else.

Have you tried contacting Subaru Corporate directly? They hate negative advertising, and unhappy Subaru owners are something they try to avoid.

Sorry for your experience. the tale you tell is a cautionary one replete with the heartbreak of owning something that is worth far less than you may owe upon it. As nice as it may be notwithstanding.

However, its one of the reasons I refuse to ever own a brand-new-car.

Respectfully,

Timothy

• Like 1

they want people to buy new cars, so every year they come out with the "new and improved versions" so people will trade in their old cars to get the "new and improved version". i have no doubt they do have new features, but who knows if they were a good idea or not i wouldn't worry about it, its all a trick to get them more money.

Edited by mikaleda
  • Like 1

Thanks Guys.  I have sent message to the Contact Us link on Subaru.com

But who knows if anyone will read it.  Part of the reason I posted here was for the pub.

The something new update is an annual thing.  But, this was a huge makeover in some key areas Engine, Gas Mileage & Interior space. I know that happens. When I bought my brand new car. I did not expect it to be outdated 3 months later

It's really the XT's that suffered the most loss.

I learned my lesson and I will be hard pressed to ever buy a new car again.

Even though I think I got shafted, I still love my Subaru. That's what hurts the most.

I clearly have No Love for Subaru Corp / Fuji Heavy.

Have a great weekend.

Subaru is amazingly tight lipped on the new models. It is amazing how they are a small cat company and keep so many secrets, compared to The Whitehouse with a penalty of life in prison.

And you know, other Mfgs have this same problem. GM usually more so, they improve the next years model while they still have this years on the lot and are trying to sell them.

• Like 1

Having a new model make the previous one less desirable has always been the catch22 of consumer products. Apple is constantly plagued with angry repeat customers who complain about buying a product only to have a newer one come out a few weeks later. 

In general, cars are depreciating assets. Frankly I too was surprised when I first saw on the Subaru web site them offering the 2014 as I hadn't heard anything about it being so much improved. Then again I think someone said something here about first year of a redesign having "issues", so maybe you really dodged a bullet. The 2014's haven't been out long enough to know if they are even going to be reliable as yours.

That is about all I got to cheer you up. Maybe alcohol will help. :drunk:

• Like 1

Have you tried contacting Subaru Corporate directly? They hate negative advertising, and unhappy Subaru owners are something they try to avoid.

Sorry for your experience. the tale you tell is a cautionary one replete with the heartbreak of owning something that is worth far less than you may owe upon it. As nice as it may be notwithstanding.

However, its one of the reasons I refuse to ever own a brand-new-car.

Respectfully,

Timothy

Someone has to be the new owner or there would never be any cars for you to purchase. My experience with used cars is that the previous owner waits until the expensive maintenance like timing belts and such are due, bubble gums things together to unload it on the next sucker. I tend to buy new and drive them until the wheels fall off. I know who to blame if the maintenance isn't done right.

To each his own.

• Like 3

Someone has to be the new owner or there would never be any cars for you to purchase. My experience with used cars is that the previous owner waits until the expensive maintenance like timing belts and such are due, bubble gums things together to unload it on the next sucker. I tend to buy new and drive them until the wheels fall off. I know who to blame if the maintenance isn't done right.

To each his own.

Indeed,

And as long as I can turn a wrench, and maintain some semblance of cognitive faculty, I will buy others "cast off" vehicles.

I recently obtained a Subaru that is outdated, abused, with a bad engine, will it be worth it? I believe so. Owning it from new? I didn't want one when these were new, I only found myself with one because it was a heck of a deal. (and she can carry a 1949 Kay stand up bass!)

All my vehicles were purchased for cheap, (or given to me) then fixed for cheap, and driven until I decided to rid myself of them. Not because they broke down and I was helpless or hopeless to repair them. all the vehicles I have ever parted company with were running until THAT owner did something stupid. (wrecked it, or refused to maintain it). Parts are parts and can be replaced. Maintenance schedules exist for a reason. Resurrection of a vehicle is not an impossible task, maintaining it where it continues to give service is entirely within the realm and scope of any clear thinking individual. 

We here should be proof of that concept.

And if you can afford new, go for it.

However, the object of vehicle companies is to make new vehicles, and sell them (for to generate obscene revenues)

I believe the objection posted herein is that he only purchased three months ago, and not he cannot even trade it in or sell it for enough to leverage into the better one.

This is a frustrating situation in any light.

You have my deepest sympathies, however, it seems to be a cross to bear at this point.

(that is not sarcasm by the way, I suspect that it must hoover-suck on every level)

I hope you may find peace in this situation either through acceptance or resolution.

I mean without driving it to the dealership and setting fire to it.

(that was done at a Chevrolet dealership in Kingman, Arizona in the mid 1970's, although it was effective then, I doubt it would hold the same sway now)

Were I in your situation, I would keep the sucker, drive it until the wheels were about fall off, take a wrench to her, and drive her until the wheels almost fall off again! Bring it by the dealership whenever they have an open house, loudly proclaiming, "Yeah, the newer ones are nice, but you can't beat the older ones, just look as how mine has held up!"

Remember the words of Cervantes "Living well is the best revenge"

quietly,

timothy

edited for grammatical errors, my deepest apologies.

Edited by Tsuru
  • Like 2

Thanks for the feedback and letting me vent some frustration. The advice has all been very excellent and helpful. I was very happy with my car before I took a test drive in the ALL NEW Forester.  Just having a place to rant a little has been good.  I do love my 4th Subaru. Just like any owner should.  I just rescued a dog from the local Animal Shelter yesterday and she jumped up in the backseat and rode home like she had always been in the car. Made me feel like using that Old Subaru commercial line "Whoop Dee Doo for my Subaru"

I did get a response for Subaru "Thank you for contacting Subaru of America, Inc.  I understand the circumstances that have prompted your concern and I greatly appreciate the opportunity to be of assistance. I will be forwarding your email to the management team here at Subaru of America. I will ask a member of the management team to give you a call next week." Not sure what that will get me, but I had to say something.

Now that I found this great forum site. I will keep coming back to share photos and talk Subaru on a much more positive side.

• Like 2

Congratulations on your newly rescued addition!

Glad the Subaru figured prominently in the equation.

If I rescued a dog in the '77 wagon, it would probably try to eat the interior.

(...and poop somewhere...)

Drive it well!

keep it rollin'

post some photographs! most of us here dig the canine species!, and all of us dig Subaru's of any flavor! 

Respectfully,

Timothy

can you upgrade your current car to match some of the things you like about the new one?  Some things are easily addressed?

gas - do you have to run on premium?  some are "recommended" and not "required".  if it's only recommended it may very well do fine on regular gas - i know the EZ30's were that way in the OBW's.

foresters have far less demand than Outbacks, at least in my area, so much so that I avoid foresters.

the idea that you're upset is what makes the marketing world go 'round. marketing loves (and intentionally creates) unhappy consumers. unhappy people make excellent consumers, marketing knows this and companies put gobs of money into it.

most people say "WOW, they spent $500,000 on marketing -  %50 of budget, that's crazy?"

organizations say "look how much consumers respond to marketing - we made $500,000 for $500,000 of marketing"

this explains tight lipped, etc...they have to be, all organizations do.  revealing too much effects current sales, purchasing, etc. they need to be in control as if you are, or were, a company executive you would be as well.

if you want the latest and greatest you'll have to choose wisely, pay for it, and have good timing.

• Like 2

OK, so I'm back to disappointed...

I just got off the phone with Subaru America and the Rep told me that my 6 month Old 2013 Forester XT sold at $32000 is only worth $25000 on the Buy Back program in excellent condition. The value is based on the car being owned for a year and would have 15000 miles on it. Plus the Buy Back is not held and could actually drop even more by the time I actually have a year on my car in October 2013.

Additionally, the dealer does not have to offer you the buy back, unless you ask for it.

The Subaru Rep told me the Buy Back program is for the Dealers to help move Inventory. It's not about the customer at all. I can't believe I was naïve enough to think the Subaru Buy Back was something special. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to give people to feel a false sense of consumer loyalty and security.  Now I find that Subaru is not any better than other car makers.  

It took me 20 years to decide to buy my 4th Subaru. I fell for the Warm Fuzzy Subaru Love marketing.  Maybe some of the engineering is better than other car companies, but right now I am thinking a Honda, Hyundai or Ford would have been a better place to spend my money.

I know there are a lot of very happy Subaru Owners. Hopefully that feeling will come back to me again

Were I in your situation, I would keep the sucker, drive it until the wheels were about fall off, take a wrench to her, and drive her until the wheels almost fall off again! Bring it by the dealership whenever they have an open house, loudly proclaiming, "Yeah, the newer ones are nice, but you can't beat the older ones, just look as how mine has held up!"

Remember the words of Cervantes "Living well is the best revenge"

In 2000 i bought a 1999 RS off a guy in a similar situation who wanted an 01 OBS. i have done exactly as described above on nemerous occasions i love waving my old cars in the deales face and in fact they have come to embrace it. if anything when it comes to any car i want the last MY as they usually have all the kinks worked out by then

• Like 1

In 2000 i bought a 1999 RS off a guy in a similar situation who wanted an 01 OBS. i have done exactly as described above on nemerous occasions i love waving my old cars in the deales face and in fact they have come to embrace it. if anything when it comes to any car i want the last MY as they usually have all the kinks worked out by then

That is the same logic I use when purchasing electronics, (or xBox games) all the bugs are known/fixed, and the cheat codes are published online!

love cheat codes...god mode for everything! (that's god with a small g, not talking about the Big Guy upstairs, He gets the Capital "G"!)

quietly,

timothy

This is what happens when you buy a new car...  The minute you drive it off the lot, it depreciates 20%.  My Dad told me this in 1980, and it is still true today.  What's 20% of $32,000?  Six Grand sound about right?

So you buy a new 2013... then the 2014 comes out and you're not happy!   So what happens when you buy a brand new 2015... then the 2016 model comes out?  Are you going to cry all over again?   If you don't like that feeling when the manufacturer comes out with a new model... then STOP buying new cars!

My solution was this:

1985 GL-10 4WD 5MT,D/R PS,PW,PDL, Electric sunroof - $200

1985 GL-10 FWD 3AT White with Red Pimp Interior - $200

1983 Hatchie 4WD D/R - My favorite - Drove it 120 miles home over snow-covered roads for $500 in January.

ALL my vehicles go up in value every year.  And knowing that makes me Happy.

• Like 2

This is what happens when you buy a new car...  The minute you drive it off the lot, it depreciates 20%.  My Dad told me this in 1980, and it is still true today.  What's 20% of $32,000?  Six Grand sound about right?

So you buy a new 2013... then the 2014 comes out and you're not happy!   So what happens when you buy a brand new 2015... then the 2016 model comes out?  Are you going to cry all over again?   If you don't like that feeling when the manufacturer comes out with a new model... then STOP buying new cars!

My solution was this:

1985 GL-10 4WD 5MT,D/R PS,PW,PDL, Electric sunroof - $200

1985 GL-10 FWD 3AT White with Red Pimp Interior - $200

1983 Hatchie 4WD D/R - My favorite - Drove it 120 miles home over snow-covered roads for $500 in January.

ALL my vehicles go up in value every year.  And knowing that makes me Happy.

Electric Sunroof?!?

My, but I shudder at your sheer extravagance!

Laughingly,

Timothy

• 1 month later...

OK, so I'm back to disappointed...

I just got off the phone with Subaru America and the Rep told me that my 6 month Old 2013 Forester XT sold at $32000 is only worth $25000 on the Buy Back program in excellent condition. The value is based on the car being owned for a year and would have 15000 miles on it. Plus the Buy Back is not held and could actually drop even more by the time I actually have a year on my car in October 2013.

Additionally, the dealer does not have to offer you the buy back, unless you ask for it.

The Subaru Rep told me the Buy Back program is for the Dealers to help move Inventory. It's not about the customer at all. I can't believe I was naïve enough to think the Subaru Buy Back was something special. It's nothing more than a marketing ploy to give people to feel a false sense of consumer loyalty and security.  Now I find that Subaru is not any better than other car makers.  

It took me 20 years to decide to buy my 4th Subaru. I fell for the Warm Fuzzy Subaru Love marketing.  Maybe some of the engineering is better than other car companies, but right now I am thinking a Honda, Hyundai or Ford would have been a better place to spend my money.

I know there are a lot of very happy Subaru Owners. Hopefully that feeling will come back to me again

It's not good to be discontent, but why should you listen to this?  You _want_ to be discontent.  That's worse.