Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Front suspension mods

Gloyale

Moneyyyyyy man. Yah no I'm gonna have to lift. Just got a new carb and need some new 28s as mine are thrashed before I can invest 800 into a 6 inch lift. But I still wanna try the chevy s10 coil overs. Could be a way to put serious support in the back. Orrrr it'll be the stiffest ride I've ever been in.

Moneyyyyyy man. Yah no I'm gonna have to lift. Just got a new carb and need some new 28s as mine are thrashed before I can invest 800 into a 6 inch lift. But I still wanna try the chevy s10 coil overs. Could be a way to put serious support in the back. Orrrr it'll be the stiffest ride I've ever been in.

Just build your own 2" lift.  Its like 10 bucks in steel.

• 2 months later...

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MON8/58643.oap?ck=Search_58643_-1_3716&keyword=58643

Dont know if these are stiff enough they do fit 2005+ ford f150 they are the longest monroe coil over 10.15/16" of travel stocking item too these would need a new upper mount

These are stock

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MONM/71268/03415.oap?year=1989&make=Subaru&model=DL&vi=1268119&ck=Search_C0077_1268119_3716&pt=C0077&ppt=C0035

These are 3" longer and 2" more travel than stock but should bolt on in place of stock

http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/MON8/58551/03415.oap?year=1973&make=Chevrolet&model=Camaro&vi=1034930&ck=Search_C0077_1034930_3716&pt=C0077&ppt=C0035

Edited by apintonut

• 3 weeks later...

Gloyale, you wouldn't happen to have any up close pics of the perches you made to fit the bilsteins would ya ? I picked up some bilsteins as well for cheap & just wanted to see how you mounted em in there.

Got a 6" drop going on my hatch. Just figuring out my shock situation . Thanks

Gloyale, you wouldn't happen to have any up close pics of the perches you made to fit the bilsteins would ya ? I picked up some bilsteins as well for cheap & just wanted to see how you mounted em in there.

Got a 6" drop going on my hatch. Just figuring out my shock situation . Thanks

I'll try to get pics....might start a new thread since this has now moved to a rear suspension thread lol

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

So, I've been working on my suspension alot latetly.  Got the rear super dialed in.  11 inches of travel!!!  WOOT WOOT!!

IMG_3712_zps154e3e20.jpg

IMG_3709_zps15048a0b.jpg

But now I need to work on the front.  First try:

IMG_3666_zps56a7f520.jpg

This worked well for the upper shock mount, and the general location.  Also, it was super easy to do by hammering a bolt between the channel that made the sway bar mount.  Problem is, the bolts stick down low adn got hung up, also, I felt like my down travel was limited.

So on to design # 2:  IMG_3716_zps13f0900b.jpg

I like this setup alot better.  While doing this mod I also added 2" to the lift blocks on top of the struts.  Also used some aftermarket springs that were on  the a De-air suspesnsioned 92 Legacy.  This combo is Muuy Bueno!!!

13 inches clearance at the Front Diff!!  4inches of travel :(   Wish that was better, but I can certainly live with it.

IMG_3719_zps859de2e5.jpg

IMG_3698_zpsc66c3c0f.jpg

Questions?  Comments?  Pics of your mods?

Discuss

dose the rear go all the way to the suspension stop? Dose it break cv's when it dose

dose the rear go all the way to the suspension stop? Dose it break cv's when it dose

Yes it does go all the way to the stops........but on;y because I extended the stops 6". This is something I think alot of people don't do on EA81 lifts and it leads to your question #2......breaking CVs.

The above car I have only broken CVs in extreme abuse situations where the CVs themselves get hit by rocks and such.....Otherwise no.....My suspension has been limited in the uptravel as to not overextend the CVs Upward....which is the direction they usually are when loaded up and taking a lot of force.......the drooping axle ssually has alot less weight and traction to it.

With EA81 suspension you need to limit "stuffage" and "sideslip" those are the 2 big factors to repeated axle breakage.......that and welded driving on the road......but that's another story.

I don't know how my car is when it dose.........I have never put LSD in the gas tank.

Edited by Gloyale
  • Like 2

Sorry I should have been more clear that I was talking about when it was it was all the way unloaded and dropped(extended) ihave ea82 but I think you answered my questions

The shocks I used limit the droop.  I set it up so that the wheels at full drop the axle is at 25 Degrees....about max according to NTNs (OE axle maker)  website

They drop juuuust far enough that I can jack up one side in the back, knock the pins out and remove an axle without unbolting the shock at the bottom. Just barely with a bit of prying on the diff.

What shock did u use? I bout 11" travel coil overs they to long for my buggy think I need 8" or 9" to make them work was wondering what u used to get 10" when the suspension on my ea 82 only travels 9" stop to stop when measured @ shock points

Edited by apintonut

They are long travel bilsteins from a Toyota I think they are for 3" lifted 2000ish Taco's.

I cut out the tops of the inner wheel well in back and extended the shock mounts up into the body.....that's the only way I could get those long shocks in there.

They are not coilovers....so there is no spring to get compressed and maxed out.

It's EA81 suspension with torsions.

You can use the longer shocks you bought  just need to make the mount point further up from the arm

Not sure what you mean "stop to stop"   the down travel is limited by the shock....so you can make that anything you want.....uptravel is limited by bumpstops on a stock rig but with a lift you move the arms away from the bumps so you can get more up travel but the compressed spring on the coilover stops it from going TOO far up in with the EA82............without a spring on there like EA81....and no bumpstop extension with a lift you WILL overextend when compressed up into the body.