Ultimate Subaru Message Board

NWWO Mid Summer Run August 2-4, Evans Creek ORV Park

one eye

I also swapped in my engine and got everything bundled up today,took forever to get the timing spot on and a few other things.In the morning I will tack weld a section of my exhaust in place(I'm changing it out after I get home because the 2" exhaust pipe that on it has got to GO.)Then add oil and hopefully she will be ready to go.Then after that the only things left to do will be to wire my trailer lights and pack.

I won't be going.Turns out the engine was a dud.First start up and everything seemed normal other than the oil pressure dropped by 10 PSI the longer it ran.Started at 80 psi then dropped down after a minute or so.I decided to go for a drive and it was showing 40 PSI at cold idle.Everything seemed fine on the drive, went up to 80 psi at redline after it warmed up.Got home and it was idling at 20 psi and I noticed a faint tapping sound from under the hood.Oil pressure dropped to 15, then to 10.By the time I opened the hood it was at zero psi at idle,the faint tapping was now distinctive rod knock on the number 2 or number 4 cylinder.I closed the hood and backed into its spot and idled it to its death. 3 minutes in it seized, not totally seized anyway the starter can kinda spin it but not fast enough to start it.This is a new record I have never killed an engine 15 minutes after I got it started for the first time.

I have no idea what went wrong other than the oil pressure dropped in steps rather than all at once. IE 80 to 70,30 seconds later 70-60,etc.The oil pressure seemed really variable based on rpm,blip the throttle and oil pressure would spike.

I am bringing my bike.

No more Stella, No more hatch.

waiting for Nellie to be done to wheel a car....

So, Jessie and I are going Friday morn., then hopefully riding the day away.

Waiting for mu fuckas to show up...See ya at the camping area.

cheers

I

I have no idea what went wrong other than the oil pressure dropped in steps rather than all at once. IE 80 to 70,30 seconds later 70-60,etc.The oil pressure seemed really variable based on rpm,blip the throttle and oil pressure would spike.

Backing plate screws on the oil pump?

I burned a valve last night on my 2.2  (have a feeling the guide is bad, it had been an oil burning pig for a while)

Gonna swap in the ole EJ18 to make the trip.

Edited by Gloyale

And with a incredibly bad find i'm out.  Rear passenger wheel bearing is toast.  Like move the whole wheel in circles bad.  Drivers side is fine.  Castle nut is tight.  Going to get the trailing arm  removed this week and replace the bearings.  I thought i was hearing my driveline make noise but turns out it was this instead :(.  I'm pissed.

I was up there for a few hours today, rode along with Jesse and Qman - had a blast, thanks guys.

Looks like there was the usual breakage - axles and what not.

We took a run up a particular nasty trail and some guys just couldnt take advice and go back.

Hope you fixed what broke and made it back down ok.

I made it home,but my car didn't.was driving on WA261 toward pomeroy.got to the bottom of a hill and felt a jerk and I looked back only to see my subaru leaving me.It went off the back of the trailer and kept going until it found a tree about as wide as the car itself and centerpunched it at ~50 mph.just looking at the car it is 10000% totaled.The front is all smashed up,the transmission is broken,the front diff got pushed rearward about 2-3".The T case may or may not be broken, both doors are jammed shut,the windshield is cracked, and the roof is bent,even the spare tire mount ripped out of the body.

I don't know what happened because when I turned onto WA261 I stopped and tightened everything up.I went most of the way then it came undone due to washingtons bumpy roads and turns.

In the morning I will go back and pick it up.Gutted.

If there is a silver lining to this I guess it would be that it hit a tree rather than a house or even an on coming car.I don't know how I could go on living if it had come loose and killed somebody.

Edited by Uberoo

I was up there for a few hours today, rode along with Jesse and Qman - had a blast, thanks guys.

Looks like there was the usual breakage - axles and what not.

We took a run up a particular nasty trail and some guys just couldnt take advice and go back.

Hope you fixed what broke and made it back down ok.

Rob you forgot to mention the guys that didn't take the advice was another group made up of mostly stock jeeps. If it wasn't for those guys I don't think we would have had half the troubles. That trail was nasty though. Really wish I had followed GLoyale the rest of the way up but I didn't want to leave my bros behind. Turned around at the top after Uberoo snapped an axle and headed back down to make sure Austin got his A-arm put back into place.

All in all it was fun times. Loved the 311 trail. Very happy with the way Stella performed, especially the VSLD that I put in the day of the trip.  I wish I could have stayed another day but I had junior with me and he needed to get home.

Sorry to hear about your car Uberoo. 

The Jeep guys pulled over and let us pass because they did take our advice (I assume) and turned around and went back down.

Yes, the jeep guys pulled over in a poor spot, but I dont think they could have done it any where else considering most were stock with clueless drivers.

All they did was slow us down really.

When you are to stubborn and hard headed to listen to veterans, you break stuff and have to have others recover your rump roast on the trail.

I've had to turn back a few times in the past, sometimes you just gotta swallow the pride.

Also, crazy story uberoo. Glad no one was hurt.

The Jeep guys pulled over and let us pass because they did take our advice (I assume) and turned around and went back down.

Yes, the jeep guys pulled over in a poor spot, but I dont think they could have done it any where else considering most were stock with clueless drivers.

When you are to stubborn and hard headed to listen to veterans, you break stuff and have to have others recover your rump roast on the trail.

I've had to turn back a few times in the past, sometimes you just gotta swallow the pride.

Also, crazy story uberoo. Glad no one was hurt.

Yeah you guys were long gone by the time it was my turn to go up.

Don't know why people don't listen... especially to the spotters.  When I'm fortunate enough to have a spotter I just listen to them and watch for hand signals.  They can see what's going on, I can't. 

They didn't pull over.  they stopped IN the trail, and made us go around them on a "bonus" line......the hardest possible passage in that section.  I wish I had realized they were in the trail before we tried to get Austin up that section. 

I would have told them to move.  Hell I'd have taken there damn keys and moved there F#$@in Jeeps myself.  There was no reason for Austin to have to try that crazy line except for those NOOBS in there brand new JEEPS having no business being out there. 

The real slap in the face is when we overheard them bitchin about how the Soobs held them up. Yeah right, we held them up from running home to cry to mommy perhaps.

Here's a pic from above of the massive Cluster of Heeps parked in the trail, making us go around.  Rob I don't think you saw the actual trail, the jeeps were already parked on it.

IMG_3823_zps7358eabf.jpg

Here is what the trail actually looked like.  With a bewildered Jeep Noob onlooking in confusion.  IMG_3825_zps1d7f10b9.jpgOnce we got the jeeps to move we found the actual trail to be EASY in this spot.  Austin, and everone else could have easily made this section.  Admitedly, the Legacy with the Viscous center diff was the weakest wheeler....but in honesty he made it just as far as all those Jeeps and could have made it further if they had not been parked on the trail. 

In fairness, some of the best soobs had trouble in some of the same spots as those heeps.....NOT.  Here's Jesse momentarily stopped on the same stump as the orange jeep.IMG_3822_zpsa6c22a05.jpg

I did eventually continue the rest of the way up and around the 520......by my self since the rest of the group split and went back, and the Guys ahead of me had been gone for an hour once we got all the damn jeeps outta the way and the broken soobs turned around.

Check out my photobucket for all my pics.......not many action shots but it's documentation.

Edited by Gloyale