Ultimate Subaru Message Board

quick and simple flywheel questions

This is simple, and I'm pretty sure I know the answer anyway, but I'm going to ask before I go buy parts. I've got an EA-81, 1980 model, with an AT. I'm using this engine for a project outside the car, and I need a flywheel to bolt my everflex to. My questions:

1. Will an ea81 manual trans flywheel bolt right to the metal plate the at torque converter bolted to?

2. Will it fit in the AT bell housing? (pretty sure it will from reading other threads)

3. Will the same starter work on the torque converter or flywheel?

4. Will any year ea81 manual transmission flywheel bolt to my ea81? (also pretty sure it will from reading other threads)

Thanks guys!!

you will remove the flex plate from the AT, then the flywheel will bolt right up.

yes to all.

there are 2 different flywheels. the 80-82 style (and some 83+) uses a 200mm clutch, and the later ones used a 225mm clutch. the earlier style would be heavier I'm assuming becuase there is more metal still intact...

not sure if that makes any difference for your application though.....

Thanks for the reply! No, i'm not going to be using the clutch part, so as long as it will physically bolt to the motor flex plate, it will work for what I'm doing. Actually, now that I think about it, I can show you what I'm doing...

http://www.zbcreations.com/epbimages/18sp(347).JPG

I've been calling around for the last hour or so, and I found one place that has an 86 (i think) for $50, and another that has a 1980 flywheel for $35. $35 still seems steep to me for nothing but a 24 year old flywheel, but I guess thats what i'll get unless someone has a better suggestion.

hehe, I was afraid that question would come up :)

I build and race hovercraft. I'm converting my craft from 2 extremely moody 2-strokes to a (hopefully) not moody and very reliable soob. Attached pic is the craft I'm going to try the soob on.

post-3909-136027592108_thumb.jpg

Yeah, pretty much. Here is where that first pic came from.

http://www.zbcreations.com/our18sp.htm

It's the website of another hovercraft guy I know. That craft is much bigger than mine, but it works pretty much the same way. The soobs are used on the bigger craft all the time, I'm just going to be the first (as far as I know) to race one. Or for that matter, to even put one on a craft as small as mine (13 ft).

Hey guys,

Went to a salvage yard this weekend and spoke to a very friendly (using EXTREME sarcasm here) employee who sold me a, supposedly, 1980 ea81 flywheel. Got it home, cleaned the half inch of solidified grease off of it, the tried to bolt it up. It wouldn't fit! The holes are in the same arc locations (in degrees around a circle) but are farther out from the center on my motor. When the flywheel was on the crank, the outside edges of the holes on the flywheel were lined up about at the center of the holes on the motor.

Afters looking around, I came to the conclusion that the grouchy moron gave me a 1.6L flywheel because there was "71" stamped on the cast (motor) side of the flywheel. I assumed this meant EA-71. However, when I took it back today to get the right one, the guy gave me all kinds of crap and insisted that it was the right one because he had another one exactly like it "in back". I anticipated him being an rump roast after my first encounter, so I brought the washer plate that goes over the AT flex plate to prove that the holes were wrong. He took it, came back a few minutes later, and said the other flywheel he had was exactly like the one he gave me, then accused me of not knowing what I needed. After insisting I get my money back, he reluctantly agreed, I left.

Here is my question: I'm not the moron in this story, right? An EA-81 manual transmission flywheel WILL FOR SURE bolt up to a crank on an EA-81 motor that originally had an automatic with a torque converter, right? I'm going to have to mail order one from someplace, and since I know shipping will cost a fortune, I want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Thanks!

yes the EA81 flywheel no matter what year it came from, WILL bolt onto an EA81 crank, regardless of it being an automatic or a manual when it was first built in the factory. It sounds like this guy needs to pull his head out of his @$$ and admit he was wrong. I'm not sure if the EA71 flywheel would bolt onto an EA81, even though I have an EA71 in my wagon, but from what you tell me, it sounds like it is an EA71 flywheel which will use a smaller clutch disk than the EA81s

Thanks Caboobaroo, that's what I hoped to hear. I ordered another one this afternoon, but had to have it shipped. Although I expected it, it was kinda funny because they only wanted $10 for the flywheel, but it was $25 to ship :)

Oh well, at least I'll have what I need, and it ended up being the same price I paid the local @$$holes minus sales tax. So actually, almost $2.50 cheaper.

Anyway, if anyone ever needs to know, and assuming that was indeed an EA-71 flywheel, which I'm pretty sure it was, the diameter of the bolt hole pattern from the center of the crank is about 1/4" smaller than on the EA-81.

Thanks again for everyone's help.