Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EA71 Removal...?

Ok Guys (and Gals),

Here is a query:

How in the heck do you get the bottom two nuts off that hold the bell housing to transmission on a 1977 EA71?

Everything else is disconnected and the entire engine is ready to pull SAVE FOR THOSE TWO NUTS!

(please, that isn't a witticism, it's just a statement of fact)

I've an engine hoist on the thing and still cannot access the nuts on those studs.

It there a trick?

Special tool?

Witchcraft?

Do I have to pull the engine/transmission out as a unit and separate it all after?

even with my rudimentary understanding of the physics and dynamics of engine removal I cannot as yet fathom this out...I did try ti search the board...came up with nothing that applies to my situation. I'll gladly recant my statements and pleas for assistance should someone point me to a link that will assist in my dilemma. 

What is the deal?

Those nuts are difficult to even get a wrench upon. (17mm) there is no way to get a socket on them as there is a serious lack of adequate clearance (especially on the drivers side by the steering input shaft).

I know it is possible, I've seen the photos.

I require someone who is more intelligent in this field as right now I am dumb about it.

waitingly,

timothy

I've always just used Craftsman combination wrenches, nothing special. Just takes patience, because you will only be able to turn a 6th of a turn at a time and will have to flip the wrench to get the jaws in the right place a lot.

I replace those nuts with the 14mm versions they used on the later motors. Same threads, just a smaller outer size so you can get a racheting wrench on them.

-Bill

Sooo...its not going to be easy, but not massively improbable...

Got it.

Thank you, I shall undertake it straight away.

(and thanks for the tip on swapping for the 14mm nuts, although I only intend to do this once)

Gratefully,

Timothy

Was delayed (getting some tracks down for the new CD) But last night I finally got the engine out!

It was just like it was mentioned. I am considering swapping out the 17mm nuts for the 14mm, (again as suggested) for ease of access. Structurally I do not think it will make one whit of difference when used with an appropriate steel washer.

It is not as if I am dealing with something that runs several hundred horsepower with torque figures to match.

if the honorable Fuji Corporation were concerned about they would have over-engineered the thing in the first place. However, it is, I believe it to be quite adequately engineered.

(like the old MB Willis Jeeps, simple and adequately powered)

I am attempting to sort out how to post photos here.

Oh, this seems to work...

post-47639-0-32150800-1367089278_thumb.jpg

post-47639-0-00310800-1367089363_thumb.jpg

These was taken late last night...ok, early this morning (heck I could not sleep so I figured I'd do something useful)

The oil filter looks like it has not been changed in YEARS!

appalling really, the entire vehicle was just driven...and driven...with little maintenance.

(By the way, I am the third owner of this beastie. She was bought locally and never left the valley)

I like these kinds of vehicles, setting them right after all the neglect seems to make for a happier vehicle.

Parents have a Cadillac that was babied and coddled all its life. (they are the second owners of that...thing...) She is a fussy bitch-made car from hell. "My Windshield has a spot, you left me out last night and i got dew all over me, and by the way did you know that it's been almost seven days since my last wash and wax!"

If one can bring an abused vehicle back to working order, I think that it is better for it. Like a rescue pet, they remember the hard times and are willing to please you no matter what because they know they will be cared for...no matter what.

The worst that can happen in your hands is still far better than anything that has happened before.

Just my opinion. feel free to discount it and I won't be offended in the least.

Thanks for the input on how to get this thing out, apparently I was over-thinking it. (as I am inclined to do at times).

Once again, My gratitude is freely given.

Respectfully,

Timothy

edited for grammatical errors and overall content. sort of...

Edited by Tsuru