Ultimate Subaru Message Board

brake question 95 wagon awd, 2,2

if a 95 is like an 03, there are star wheel adjusters. Look for an oval rubber plug in the backing plate. Pop it out, adjust the wheel down to loosen, UP to tighten the parking brake shoes.

I pull the P-brake handle up to the first click, then tighten the star wheel till the wheel just locks. Do the other side, release/test the brake handle setting.

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan

often times the parking brakes are dragging inside the rotor.  adjust it as he said.

sometimes the inside of the rotors are so rusty that they really need pulled off and wire brushed.   if the rotors sat for awhile unused then this starts sounding more likely.

dust shields also rub.

wheel bearing.

rear drum , where is the adjustment at

You do have rear disc brakes right? If so, the parking brake drum adjustment access should look very similar to the pics in this post;

http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2660325-post7.html

there was a faint arrow embossed on our OBW's dust shield and I'm pretty sure UP tightens the shoes and down loosens them on both sides, yeah, one side seems to have a left-hand threaded component. I used a medium sized flat blade screwdriver to flip the wheel.

and, info for the brake handle adjustment - but it's usually OK ;http://www.scoobymods.com/showthread.php/parking-brake-aka-e-brake-2779.html?t=2779

Edited by 1 Lucky Texan