Ultimate Subaru Message Board

How do i lift my 85 subaru gl wagon?

conor.maguire41

hi i have an 85 subaru gl wagon. I am 17 working 2 jobs and in highschool and i know my subi has a lot of potential. I want to work on it by myself and make it myself. I was wondering if there is any way to make a lift kit. I have access to a welding torch, i can get steel, etc. I am looking for around a 9 to 12 inch lift... Anyone got any ideas?

• Like 1

You should check out the off road section, there is lots of info in there. A 9-12 inch lift is going to take a lot of work, first you going to have to make a way to adjust caster camber wich is non adjustable on these subies. Next part of that lift will have to be body or your going to be going through c.v.'s and ujoints like mad. why such a big lift? These cars are very capable offroaders with a 2-3 inch lift, wich would be easier and probably be more feasible.

Most likely lift that you would be able to do for cheap and easy, would be strut blocks. Do some searching in the offroad section, I believe I have seen a thread that gives pretty detailed instructions on making these with offset for correct caster camber.

Definatly take a look in offroad and do some reading before you make a post, so you can have a fairly good idea of what you want and are capable of doing.

If you put that kind of lift on your subaru, then the car will become unstable at normal speeds on the freeway.  Then you may die.  Life insurance will not solve the problem that you will have created.  I noticed how the stability in my subaru changed, just by changing my 86 gl10 rear shocks and springs, to loyale rear shocks and springs.  I would recommend just doing that because it makes the car look a whole lot sharper and will not likely kill you so easily.  Go with bigger tires if you want more lift.  Stock tires were probably 175/70/r13.  You might try something like a 195/70/r13.

Edited by scoobiedubie

If you put that kind of lift on your subaru, then the car will become unstable at normal speeds on the freeway.  Then you may die.  Life insurance will not solve the problem that you will have created.  I noticed how the stability in my subaru changed, just by changing my 86 gl10 rear shocks and springs, to loyale rear shocks and springs.  I would recommend just doing that because it makes the car look a whole lot sharper and will not likely kill you so easily.  Go with bigger tires if you want more lift.  Stock tires were probably 175/70/r13.  You might try something like a 195/70/r13.

Loyale and GL's are the same cars, they used only minorly different springs and shocks.  Changing them out won't really yeild any lift.....perhaps just from newer springs not saggin as much but that's not a lift.  By the way....they don't make a 195/70/13 tires.  Used to be able to get 185/70/13 but that's the stock tire for the 4wds.

He needs a lift kit.  HighGuysLifts.com

That said, Conor.....9-12 inch lift is too much.  Youd need 35" tires to make it look right, and you don't have the gearing or HP in your subaru to turn those.

I think you would be more than happy in the 2"-4" lift range.   That keeps it safe, makes fabrication easy (or just buy a kit) and you will have enough lift for about a 27-29" tires....which is as big as your EA82 will turn easily.

• Like 2

Loyale and GL's are the same cars, they used only minorly different springs and shocks.  Changing them out won't really yeild any lift.....perhaps just from newer springs not saggin as much but that's not a lift.  By the way....they don't make a 195/70/13 tires.  Used to be able to get 185/70/13 but that's the stock tire for the 4wds.

That said, Conor.....9-12 inch lift is too much.  Youd need 35" tires to make it look right, and you don't have the gearing or HP in your subaru to turn those.

I think you would be more than happy in the 2"-4" lift range.   That keeps it safe, makes fabrication easy (or just buy a kit) and you will have enough lift for about a 27-29" tires....which is as big as your EA82 will turn easily.

besides, a 4'' plus bigger tires yields 6-8'' of total "up" anyways.....get reading buddy

hi i have an 85 subaru gl wagon. I am 17 working 2 jobs and in highschool and i know my subi has a lot of potential. I want to work on it by myself and make it myself. I was wondering if there is any way to make a lift kit. I have access to a welding torch, i can get steel, etc. I am looking for around a 9 to 12 inch lift... Anyone got any ideas?

There is a nice 2 inch lift diagram.  Look at some of the pictures posted.  My 17 year old son's subaru is posted.  It is pretty simple to understand.  It is better to start simple like the others suggested.  Get to know your subaru little first.  Play around with the simple suspension.  What is cool with doing that you can get all your stuff from pull and save.

Very sound advice!

I know for a fact that changing to Loyale stock springs will add 1 to 2 inches of lift of your body at the rear tire, compared to the 86 stock springs/shock that my vehicle came with.  That is a fact. 

I know for a fact that 195/70/r13 tires are available because I walked by a set of 4 used ones that were for sale, at North Portland Pick-n-Pull today.  That is a fact. 

Edited by scoobiedubie

I wouldn't say that lifting a subaru 9-12" makes it unstable.My hatch is lifted 8" and its on some 31x10.5x15 mud tires and I can still rally it around.Mine is a transfercase lift so the engine is located 8" higher than a conventional 8" lift would place the engine.Even with all that height its still more stable than a stock toyota or jeep.BTW mine with the lift and tires is 11.5" taller than stock.

However for a first lift it is way to complicated. a 2-4" lift with some 235/75/15's would work great,and would be in budget for a 17 year old.Both in money and time that your car is down.A 2" lift takes about a day to make and install.

• Like 1

I know for a fact that changing to Loyale stock springs will add 1 to 2 inches of lift of your body at the rear tire, compared to the 86 stock springs/shock that my vehicle came with.  That is a fact. 

I know for a fact that 195/70/r13 tires are available because I walked by a set of 4 used ones that were for sale, at North Portland Pick-n-Pull today.  That is a fact. 

You are wrong about the springs.  If it lifted your car it's becuase the old springs were worn out.  Perhaps also you put 2wd rear Loyale struts on?  they are 2 inches longer and will lift the rear of ANY 4wd EA82 car.

And an old set of tires on a rig at the junkyard doesn't prove they are still available.  Frankly too, I don't believe you as a good source of observation or informtaion...so I'm pretty sure you were looking at a set of 14" tires. Or maybe 195/60/13 Which they do make.

Largest 13" tire I've ever seen listed for sale was a 185/80/13.......and I don't think they make those for the U.S. Market anymore either.

But whatever.  YOU are the subaru expert with 15+ years owning, driving, and working on EA82 cars.  YOU are the one with Factory service manuals and parts catalogs for EVERY year EA82 (including XT's).  And YOU are the one who builds and sells lift kits of all sizes for EA71, EA81, EA82, and EJ body cars up to 2008.

Oh wait, that's me not you.

• Like 3

Telling a 17 year old kid that he's gonna die & that life insurance won't cover for it if he does because he lifted his car is one of the most disrespectful & cruel things I've ever read ....

There's probably over a thousand lifted subarus in this world & I don't think one person has died from driving one ....

Also, I'd recommend that you don't recommend anything to anyone about a lifted Subaru because you obviously don't have one ...

Get your facts straight before you go off telling some kid he's gonna die if he doesn't keep his car stock, sorry were not original like you ....

• Like 1

Okay now settle down, we are all entilted to our opinions, I have to say I think that a 9-12 inch lift is kind of ridiculous for a first timer. At the same time it's not that great of an idea to say "then you may die" and "life insurance will not solve the problem you have created" it's better to take a humble approach and say "IMHO I think a 9-12 inch would be dangerous and a risk that would not be advisable."

Just my $0.02

• Like 1

...Largest 13" tire I've ever seen listed for sale was a 185/80/13.......and I don't think they make those for the U.S. Market anymore either...

I used to Run my Subies with 205/60 R-13" long years ago ...

Certain Small Pick Up Trucks in the LADM (Latin American Domestic Market) Came with 205/80 R-13" Tires:

~► http://www.ityre.com/en/tyres/catalog/bfgoodrich/size/673/

But those are getting scarse this days...

Kind Regards.

• Like 1

Not gonna lie i was pretty sure they didn't exist.  Also these are rally tires.  Pretty sure its a rare size.

PcERoJW.jpg

Also this.

$T2eC16VHJGIE9nnWqrI7BQp7!loqZw~~60_35.J

Well smack me and call me Sally.  So I've been proven wrong.

Although I have to ask, are these pictures of new tires for sale in the US? Or is Hockey1242GL's pic of the new tires from Canada?

And those used ones, they look old and almost like re-treads.

I can't find that size listed for sale by anyone around here or online.

Edited by Gloyale

• 2 weeks later...

195/70-R13 tires?  In Canada?   I wish!

165/80-R13 are available, but rare.  185/70-R13 are even scarcer. I have taken to using 155/80-R13 snowtires, as that is about the only size I can get.   Our tire choices are worse than in the US.

But I bet you will find those are old stock.  As far as I can see, 175/70 and 155/80 are about the only common 13" tires left.  Kumho and Toyo make a a few 185/70 and 165/80's, but most anything else you find will be a weird brand from China.

Rob.

I have seen a 2 door hatch 12 inches in the air... It can be done if you know what your doing.  This "Beast-a Con" ran in the Rubicon in Washington many years ago and placed AND was street legal. Top heavy? Very much so, but I guess if you can build it you can drive it. 

30315_129601970385559_830041_n.jpg

• Like 1

I have seen a 2 door hatch 12 inches in the air... It can be done if you know what your doing.  This "Beast-a Con" ran in the Rubicon in Washington many years ago and placed AND was street legal. Top heavy? Very much so, but I guess if you can build it you can drive it. 

Um.  The Rubicon is not in Washington.  There was no first or second place or third or whatever.  It was NOT street legal, was transported there on a trailer.  You wanna argue with me?  I was there, filmed it photographed it, all that.  

As for the rest or this thread, gonna delete it soon.  Useless crap cluttering up our forum.

• Like 2

Simply reposting from a highly trusted source. Not trying to tread on toes. The reason for this site is to celebrate, share and enjoy the cool rigs that a subaru can be was my impression. As for the useless crap comment though I greatly disagree because the lift diagrams posted above are very helpful as well as much of the relevent advice that was given to the member who began the conversation.

Um.  The Rubicon is not in Washington.  There was no first or second place or third or whatever.  It was NOT street legal, was transported there on a trailer.  You wanna argue with me?  I was there, filmed it photographed it, all that.  

As for the rest or this thread, gonna delete it soon.  Useless crap cluttering up our forum.

• Like 1