Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Turbo performance mods (87 GL wagon)

Guest Hondasucks

Guest Hondasucks

Lookin for advice on hoppin up my 87 Turbowagon. I've already removed the intake silencer, and I unbolted teh muffler, but I am going to eventually either replace it with a straight pipe, or a straight-through muffler or something (Maybe a big ol' "fart can" to make fun of the Hondas)

I'd liek to intercool it, but I am not sure what kind of intercooler to use. I was thinking about just using a WRX intercooler, but I was also contemplating using a front-mounted intercooler, or is that worth the trouble?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest jcdenton

remember, when in doubt, turn up the boost!

try 13-15 pounds, however that may be too much for a stock engine, ask others as I am no expert.

Guest Biffbradford

Save up for some Nokia Hakkepellitta or Cooper snow tires. Something with real aggressive tread and narrow profile. Then when the snow flies, blow those buggers off the road ! It's like leaving from a green light with 500 hp !!

I find the Hakkepellitta's work pretty good on gravel too.

:rollin:

John Wilke

Milwaukee

Guest Snowman

I wouldn't recommend boosting over 11 psi with a stock motor. WRX intercoolers apparently work pretty well, and I don't think it would be worth the trouble for a front-mount. I would also recommend the standard performance stuff: better coil and wires, straight pipe (which you mentioned), etc.

The snow tires are a great idea. Every year I can't wait for it to dump like three feet of snow so that I can waste everything. I swear it's the best feeling ever to be cruizing around at twice the speed limit in your subaru while everybody else is digging out.

Guest Hondasucks

I thought the EA82T used an optical pickup distributor, and was different from a standard EA82 dizzy. There is a spare dizzy that came with the car, I dunno how to tell if it's 4WD or not, I also have a 2WD EA82 dizzy out of an 86 carbed wagon.

(Or do I need to just get a 2WD Turbo dizzy?)

And I had a 2WD dizzy in my 84 4WD wagon, it seemed to help (That and I couldnt' find a good 4WD dizzy in the junkyard)

Guest calebz

I'm running a 2wd N/A dizzy in my 87 turbowagon.. it seems to do ok.. but then again, I have never had a 4wd dizzy to compare it to.....

Guest edrach

Andy, the spare disty I left with you came out of a '87 Turbo wagon with 113K miles on the odo. You'll notice it is very different from the n/a 2wd disty. If I remember correctly the plug connection is quite different and there's no vacuum advance. I'm certainly not the expert here, but I don't think swapping the disty will improve anything (might not even work for that matter). Hakkapolitta tires are also the best. I mounted a set of all season WR Hakki's on my Legacy wagon last Friday. Too bad there's no rain forecast and forget about snow!!:(:(:(:( It hasn't snowed here in three years of winters.

Guest calebz

I must clarify, as I have no knowledge of sooob carbed cars.. they may go by a different set of rules(vacuum advance and such)

My dizzy came from an 87 2wd N/A SPFI GL-10.. It is being used in my 87 4wd MPFI Turbo wagon.. neither car had vacuum advance, and the plug is the same.. no mods needed.. I have a 2wd turbo dizzy out of an 88 if you are interested.. the plug is different, but overall, the dizzy is the same. wires are the same. plug shape is different. 87 is square.. 88 is round. you would have to splice the 87 connector on to it.. I have an 88 FSM that should say which wires go where..

Guest turboroo

just speaking from my personal experience. the two biggest things that seemed to help out with performance on my turbo wagon was the addition of an intercooler (VW 1.8t) and opening up the exhaust using subspeed downpipe and home made system back . I have also removed the air silencer, instaled a Saab bypass valve ( go to oddcomps site for pics) and K/N air filter. it now moves real well, almost have to much power for the handling and brakes to manage.:eek:

but on my RX It will be a little a bit better. plans for a front mount IC, bigger turbo(WRX?) and a custom down pipe.

I have not modified boost levels on the wagon as it already tends to overboost at high RPM/load. turbo is too small I think.

Guest UltimateRX

I'm offended by your use of Big Ol' Fart, I am probably the biggest old fart on this board and I don't like being made fun of. JK :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin: :rollin:

Guest jon61484

So, in the EA81 you can switch the pistons out for different types with higher CR. (1600, ect.) does the EA82 (carbed, spfi/mpfi, and turbo) have different compression ratio pistons so you could switch to a higher CR?

Guest Subaru Bob

in a turbo application, you don't want higher CR, you actually want lower. this allows you to run more boost with less chance of detonation

Guest calebz

Not necessarily true. more boost will give more power, but i would guess that higher CR pistons would give more low end oomph. WJMGL-10 is running 9 or 9.5 : 1 CR pistons in his turbowagon, and so far seems to have done very well. I will leave it to him to supply more info. check the archives though, there is probably a bit of info on it there.

Guest Hondasucks

well, sound sliek I have a good start..... Anyone know where I can get a WRX Intercooler and BOV for relatively cheap?

Guest UltimateRX

Well Andrew, the cheapest WRX I/C that I have seen for sale was around $100, and it didn't have the BOV. I do have two I/Cs, one off an Audi 5000 and one of a Saab Turbo. Too bad you didn't say something earlier I could have brought them down to the rally for you to look at (but of course you did have the wagon yet either). I'll sell you either one of my I/Cs for $25.00.

Guest Hondasucks

25 bucks is a good price, Corky, which one do you think would be the better of the two for me to use, I think I am going to go with a top-mount, cuz the added efficiency of a front mount would probably be offset by the loss from the lengthy tubes needed to connect everything, where with a top mount the pipes can be kept relatively short.

Guest UltimateRX

I was going to use the Saab before I got the correct air to air I/C for my engine. But heck, why not buy both of them, figure which one will work better for you, then sell the other (at a profit :D ) to someone else.

Guest Hondasucks

Well Corky, if I had the money right now I would buy both :-) As soon as I get paid for the XT I sold, I'll buy 'em from ya.

Guest james hogan

Is there a formula for figuring out the top mount vs the front mount I/C as far as efficiency?

Humm.. I was thinking about replacing the 1 piece headlight with a DL 4 headlight system, using hi/lo in the low beam spot and using the high beam hole for the air intake and routing air to the I/C.

Coming up from underneath then forcing it out the hood with a fan after it passes through the intercooler.

I believe it would involve relocating the battery and/or doing away with the A/C compressor for clearance.

Just a thought.

Regards,

Jay

• 3 weeks later...
Guest carfreak85

removing the intake silencer will not give you any more HP, what it will do is "unmuffle" your intake honk so that you can hear it better.