Ultimate Subaru Message Board

building a buggy

apintonut

I did a reverse run in buggy was only 5 seconds 300+ hp and smoked the backside of pinon not ment to drive backwards ruined trans. I think you are looking in the wrong direction put a subie diff front end setup in front subie diff suspention in the back one commen drive shaft to conect them. Then a 300+ two stroke sled engine clutch drive to the commen drive shaft no trans to worry about and can ramp the motor in reverse whould be a trick but who gos backwards anyway oh wait I do just a thought try and get your ideas going !

Thanks for the clarification - further confusion was caused by the video you posted; that buggy was not rear engined but mid-engined. Now we know what you want we can help. Be good to see some pics as the project progresses, good luck with it. 

edit:

Hey, wait a minute - I've just looked at the pic you've posted above - that's mid-engined too!

I give up (as have everyone else and now I see why)

mid engine imply's that the engine is in front of the transmission  rear engine is engine behind the transmission those are both rear engine how ever the axle on those is behind transmission and engine making you think they are mid however the prebuilt buggy in the vid is open for discussion as it is unconventional drive train 

I did a reverse run in buggy was only 5 seconds 300+ hp and smoked the backside of pinon not ment to drive backwards ruined trans. I think you are looking in the wrong direction put a subie diff front end setup in front subie diff suspention in the back one commen drive shaft to conect them. Then a 300+ two stroke sled engine clutch drive to the commen drive shaft no trans to worry about and can ramp the motor in reverse whould be a trick but who gos backwards anyway oh wait I do just a thought try and get your ideas going !

some good ideas but i want to hold this heading for a bit longer and if it runs aground im going to drop in a transfer case and keep running with it

when you built ur buggy how did you flip the dif? any pics? very interested in more info!!! im going to be running a stock n/a motor 1.8 or 2.2 so a little more mellow 

Edited by apintonut

i dident i run a 4eat is only way to hold the power thiss is not how mines biult is how i wish it was biult a'm finding that is to heavy the trans is 450 lbs makes for heavy buggy. But is very tough was pushing 350 hp. Is good to get as many peoples imput as you can becuse veryone thinks differently. If you look up its buggy time agian thread has lots of pics. Mines a bitt extreme as it has to be dragrace approved 5 ponit harness roll cage ect and i have to wear fire suit helmet and neck brace and arm restraints to race.

ok had this wild idea hit me out of the air (again this was just a random (very random) thought) now todd proved why you can flip the hole trany (u cant mount the engine) but what about flip the engine and tranny the only cation would be oil but if u made a remote oil pick up plug some holes turn the drain hole into a fill hole cut the intake and 4 side draft cabs 

the big thing would be getting oil to it 

like i said i was driving down the road mind wondering 

the subaru trans is still not ment to go backwards mabee addaptor plate to volks transs but then 2wd have seen reversing gear boxs for boats ect have you ever seen a porche 944 ? runs a tube from engine to trans is like 8 ft long but proves that can have engine in front and trans in the back and hold up have seen theese cars with 300+hp and the 8 ft input shaft holds up so could the trans be mounted remotly or somthing like that

• 2 weeks later...

the subaru trans is still not ment to go backwards mabee addaptor plate to volks transs but then 2wd have seen reversing gear boxs for boats ect have you ever seen a porche 944 ? runs a tube from engine to trans is like 8 ft long but proves that can have engine in front and trans in the back and hold up have seen theese cars with 300+hp and the 8 ft input shaft holds up so could the trans be mounted remotly or somthing like that

i could just do a transfer case and have done with it 

if you feel like being a real pioneer, take a look here; http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums/104-gen-4-2010-present/83865-how-fast-can-cvt-go-reverse.html

definition of 'mid engine' is somewhat nebulous, but most folks claim it is when the CG of the engine lies inside the front and rear axle lines (inside the wheel base) So, technically, the old Mazda RX-7 was mid-engine, despite the engine being in front of the driver, and in front of the transmission.

well i may have found a shop that may pick up the hole bill for the ring gears and sell me one out of the batch. waiting on the details and test's 

working with the same shop to improve on there reverse automatic i came up with a design to do that and they may want to run with it 

• 4 months later...

you could go mid engine and put a sprocket on the trans for the rear output and put a long drive shaft in it to run back with a sprocket on it and chain connecting them would have to flip the rear end over for it to work in the front seen a buggy on you tube\

its a justy drive chain but should still work just look up Buggy Piranha 4x4 by andjrzej borowiecki on you tube think it hooked up with a chain

ill look at it but im putting it off till i have more money to put into it im building a front engine buggy right now 

and will build this one later 

1. also im going to be running the tires i already have that are new 34 9.50 r15 ss tsl 

I'm thinking how I want my next Subie 4 wheeler. I talked to my friend, and you know it's about where you live...He suggested I run 22" wheels.

I'm looking into that. Haven't found any steel ones.

Doug

have a place that will make quality ring gear left cut to match stock pinion for 200$ i just need 199 more people that want one, willing to pre pay and wait for them to be made 

Call me crazy......but I don't think you can swap JUST the ring.  R&P's are always sold as sets to my knowledge.

I would not trust an unmatched set.

There is a company that has done all the legwork already, and they sell a proven product.  If you are really serious about this, I would suggest pony up the $ for the SubaruGears product that has already been proven to work.  Drop it in and go....done.

Call me crazy......but I don't think you can swap JUST the ring.  R&P's are always sold as sets to my knowledge.

I would not trust an unmatched set.

There is a company that has done all the legwork already, and they sell a proven product.  If you are really serious about this, I would suggest pony up the $ for the SubaruGears product that has already been proven to work.  Drop it in and go....done.

already came to this conclusion 

Awesomeanother person that cant' type and use the proper punctuation hey ;I have an idealets stop even capitalizing antyhtingthen wee can stop using spacesandthenitwellbeeallgoods

Makes me feel lucky to be part of an anti negative group, that call you out on minute issuers of proper grammar in this informal setting.

Well it WAS. 

Thanks for the status change update monstaru. :P

Edited by apintonut