Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stock Ride Height

Pretty general question but kinda curious due to the fact that my 87 GL Wag 4WD sits roughly 3" taller than many others out there, she's bone stock, and no she don't have adjustables.

So question being what is the stock ride height? Did they vary based on manufacture location?

Oh and an off topic question what is the difference between a DL and a GL... thought it was 2WD vs. 4WD but seen one in Oly that makes me question that concept.

Thanks

Gl higher trim level than dl basically the gl's were a little nicer, more Crome, nicer gauges, seats, stuff like that. Your 87 is around when they started making changes to the body style, going from the ea81 body to the ea82, you probably also have struts in the back instead of a torsion bar. I don't know if that's why it's taller or if someone put some taller struts in it.

Pretty general question but kinda curious due to the fact that my 87 GL Wag 4WD sits roughly 3" taller than many others out there, she's bone stock, and no she don't have adjustables.

So question being what is the stock ride height? Did they vary based on manufacture location?

Oh and an off topic question what is the difference between a DL and a GL... thought it was 2WD vs. 4WD but seen one in Oly that makes me question that concept.

Thanks

They were all made in Gunma Japan.

DL = no Tach, no OP gauge, no Volt Gauge, no power windows or locks, Single range 5spd only, Cheap interior carpet and seats, no passenger sideview, no map light, no split folding rear seat, no center console tray, no tilt steering wheel, steel wheels with small center caps only (no wagon spokes or alloys)  "loyale" style rear glass set in with rubber gasket (vs. Overlayed adhesived with blackout trim), and of course the all famous and sought after 4-Square headlight setup.  A/C and power steering, and dealer cruise were the only DL "options" 

GL = all that stuff not in the DL,

GL-10 = Digidash, plush interior, trip computer, sunroof, outside temp, and a host of other little goodies.  Air suspension optional on GL-10 only.

Loyale = Production line runout. Power steering standard. All of the GL-10 options are dropped.  All rear glass is gasket like DL.  Power windows and locks optional.  Volt and OP gauges optional.  No center console tray, No dual range 4wd, Map light optional, split fold optional.  All have automatic seatbelts.  Smaller armrests on doors, bigger one in center.  Clutch/start safety switch added.  A/C optional.

As for ride height.

Alot of the strut manufactures "split the difference" in height between the 2wd and 4wd struts, and now make just one part.

The problem is this makes the rears too long, and the front too short. 

My guess is you've got a still good or "less old" set on the front, From when they made them a correct height for 4wd.  And same or a new set of replacements on the rear which yeild a little bump up.

If you get true 2wd rear struts they are 2" longer than the true 4wd struts.  It's a crap shoot anymore though what height you get with what listing.  Take your tape measure to the store or yard when youre buying.

Edited by Gloyale