Ultimate Subaru Message Board

JDM EJ25D (1996 or 7) in a 1998 USDM Forester

Recently purchase a JDM EJ25D on ebay.  I've made the necessary intake manifold swap, and have also discovered that there are differences in the water pump, timing covers, and A/C mounting bracket.

Only one thing (right now) is holding up putting the motor back into the car.  The EGR pip rises from rear of the head on the drivers side up to the EGR valve on the intake manifold.  The JDM has the port, and it is tapped with the same thread as the USDM head, but the bottom of the hole is different.

Here is an image of the JDM port:  

_dsc5524_595.jpg

And here is the same port on the USDM head:

_dsc5525_595.jpg

As you can see, the bottom of the port on the JDM head has a tiny hole in the center, while on the USDM head, the port is wide open.  I don't know whether this difference is due to the market, or the model year, but I would like to know if I can open up the bottom of the port on the JDM engine.  If so, how should it be done?

I have the exhaust removed from the engine right now, so i can look up through the exhaust port and see that pinhole.  Would it be better to drill it out, or try tapping it out with a punch?

Any help will be much appreciated!  Thanks in advance.

i think that's just in the exhaust port right, in that case just drill it out.  the EGR just needs to see that exhaust flow, not a big deal.

if it's possible to drill it out with the engine in place you can even just leave it as is and only drill it out if it causes a check engine light, other than that it's not a big deal...again the EGR system just needs to see flow and given the orifices involved elsewhere that small hole doesn't look problematic to take a guess.

of course that's on the back of the engine so drilling would require a right angle drill attachment, but that's not that big of a deal....

side note - JDM engines are still prone to headgasket issues so precaustions regarding EJ25 headgasket (and other) issues remain.  hopefully you're golden though and it won't matter.

Thank you both for the replies.  Since I have the motor out of the car right now, I think I'll open up that orifice, just in case.

Since I knew I had to swap the intake manifold, and I didn't know if that meant breaking connections in the fuel system, I bought the entire gasket/seal kit for the engine.  So, may as well do the head gaskets while I have easy access!

On the other hand, removing the engine wasn't so hard, so...