Ultimate Subaru Message Board

honda boys talking smack. need motor ideas

not really hate (well, GD hasn't posted yet lol).  EA82 = 90 hp. There's zero chance of getting to 200 hp with that motor...particularly on a "budget".

vehicle you referenced is not an EA82...it's an EA82T and FI is far more responsive to modifications he can't do...so it's not relevant to him modifying his engine.

If a swap is an option, an EA82T has the lowest stock power output of the most common starting points:

An EJ swap starts with 50% more hp than an EA82T, a turbo EJ engine is capable of twice that.

I agree, reluctantly. :D  ea82 spfi is a fun motor to tinker with but will never make much more than 100hp. Tho I learned a lot from my old spfi motors so there is some sentiment.

An ej swap would be the smarter path to take. I was just pointing out that anything can be done with time and money.

I am currently building an ea82t for rallyx, 225 hp at the crank does not sound like a difficult goal to reach. I guess I am an idiot for taking the illogical route.. something something path of least resistance makes rivers crooked, blah blah.  :ph34r:

You should ask your honda friend to have a different kind of contest. Lets say you both leave your cars on a street in San Francisco.. first to get stolen is the loser. I have a friend with a civic, his car has been taken for a joy ride about 5 times in the last couple years.

• Like 2

well just some thoughts from how I look at it. do what I did. lift it, put some tires on it, park on his hood. problem solved.

if you want a cheap reliable honda stomper. find a late 80's turbo dodge 2.2/2.5 easy to mod cheaper than dirt and very reliable. only thing that really ever goes bad is the timing belt or the head gasket, both of which are 1 hr jobs.    

well just some thoughts from how I look at it. do what I did. lift it, put some tires on it, park on his hood. problem solved.

if you want a cheap reliable honda stomper. find a late 80's turbo dodge 2.2/2.5 easy to mod cheaper than dirt and very reliable. only thing that really ever goes bad is the timing belt or the head gasket, both of which are 1 hr jobs.    

Even moar better if you find one of the 2.2 caravans...

Even moar better if you find one of the 2.2 caravans...

I actually found one of the rare 2.5 turbo "mini ram" caravans. but the guy is in love with letting it sit and waste away.its a shame, the thing is beautiful..its got porthole windows in the back and a ground affects kit. I want it so bad.

Would it be possible to build a 2.2L block with 2.0L heads? OR feasible to use ej22t block, replace pistons, and use 2.0 heads?

Shewwt i dont know.. ha. I'm pretty curious, would like to do something like this once my ea82 starts to crap out.

Would it be possible to build a 2.2L block with 2.0L heads? OR feasible to use ej22t block, replace pistons, and use 2.0 heads?

Shewwt i dont know.. ha. I'm pretty curious, would like to do something like this once my ea82 starts to crap out.

Possible, yes.. These cars are lego's and many different combos will bolt up. Would it have an ideal compression ratio, not sure. The most common combo is a NA 2.5 shortblock with NA 2.2 heads, creating a high compression NA hybrid. You can do similar hybrids with newer turbo motors also.

Check this out:

http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=631527

page 14:

"simple version of franken motor combos:

engine block + heads=

"best"
p2 2.5 + p2 2.2: highest compression ratio (stock gasket) better manifold options, decient heads

good
p1 2.5 + p2 2.2 again good manifold options and decient heads
p2 2.5 + p1 2.2 dual ports (header options & possible better flow than single ports) 
p1 2.5 + p1 2.2 dual ports 

ok 
p2 2.5 + p1 2.2 single ports
p1 2.5 + p1 2.2 single ports

thats for running completely stock, aka slaping it together and going."
  • Like 1

Cool that is kinda what i'd be going for. Just thinking about the actual swap; many people do the 2.2 swap, but is the 2.5 swap essentially the same? same hardware/adaptors/etc? I guess a search on the forum would do me well ha......

Edited by indigowarpz

Cool that is kinda what i'd be going for. Just thinking about the actual swap; many people do the 2.2 swap, but is the 2.5 swap essentially the same? same hardware/adaptors/etc? I guess a search on the forum would do me well ha......

Yea 2.5 swap would be very similar, same adapter plate. The wiring merge might be a bit more difficult depending on the heads/intake/wiring/ecu you choose. Everyone picks the 2.2 because its more reliable, less prone to HG issues.

Check out Numbchux conversion guide here, bonus are a few manuals as well:

http://www.numbchuxconversions.com/downloads.htm

Yea searching helps. I do many hours of research before attempting even the most modest modifications.

Google is perhaps the easiest way to find things, eg try this:

site:ultimatesubaru.org ej swap

• Like 1

I have done just about every subaru ej engine mix and match i can imagine the best for me is the 251 turbo and the 257 with twin cam outback heads turbo both these engines are very strong and reliable and very comparable the twin cam takes up more room than single cam. I have made a few 2.5s with 2.2 heads works well.

This is pretty funny! I'm getting a good laugh out of this hondog guy wanting to race a loyale. It's sounds to me like he's to afraid to race a real car so he had to pick on the little ones. There's a lot of diffrent swaps you could do to win this dog. It really comes down to money and having a car that can take the power increase Haha. Building a Nico car would smoke him haha. Although he has a money tree in his backyard. Haha :)

Race him in the mountians and you'll take home the gold and you'll prolly have to tow him home. Haha.

GD says hi, were working at the shop today

-Prwa

The comment about Hondas getting broken into is definitely true. My sisters '97 Civic (which in harsh city conditions, fell apart) got broken into 3 TIMES, 2 of which nothing was stolen because there was nothing in the car. She's had her '96 Legacy for 2 years now, NO BREAK-INS. Subarus are for the real world, plain and simple.

The real world is a harsh place full of potholed streets, curbs, and thieves. Honda does not know this apparently.

• Like 1