Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Pre Restoration General Question

Okay so i'm going through the final thinking stages of deciding exactly what i'm gonna do as far as restoring and swapping a Brat. I've decided that instead of trying to find another 79 in better condition than mine, i'm just gonna fix the one i have even though it has frame rail rust in the rear of the drivers side frame rail. Which will of course mean ridiculous amounts of fabrication but i'm capable of it. Anyway. My next concern is the final question, should i swap a first gen brat OR a second gen.. Leading me to my questions. First off, i've heard that second gens are drastically roomer inside the cab than the first gens. How much more room do the newer ones really have inside? Like noticeable enough to make it more worthwhile to use a newer one rather than a first gen. The dilemma is the first gens really look much better to me than the second gens, but if the newer one is drastically roomier inside it would probably be a better idea to use a newer one. So i just wanna get that first question answered from anyone that has any experience it would be greatly appreciated.

its not drematicly bigger the 2nd gen is bigger than the first gen but not by a whole lot. the second gens are a couple inchs wider but its not a huge amount. my dad has 3 first gen brats and i have a second gen. it really depends on what you like, i like the t-tops, dual range 4wd, ea81 1800cc, the third eye setup, factory winch bumper, roll bar, rear seats, and the over all design off the second gen brat but i would drive a first gen too i just preffer my 85 over the first gen. if you like first gens then what are you waiting for! ;) i would swap a ea81 and a 5 speed dual range 4wd into a first gen and even attemp to put a second gen t-top roof in it. i think unless  my car is unique why do i have it? thats why my 85 brat is going to look like a 82 with the antena on the wrong side :rolleyes:

Well I'm swapping in the full driveline from a totaled 2007 sti limited. And I'm also going to bag it stance it and replace the factory jump seats with water proofed Recaros or sparcos. It's just gonna be a silly awesome sti swapped brat. I really wish the first gens had t tops but I can put the sti limiteds sunroof in the brat which to me is just as good.