Ultimate Subaru Message Board

94 Loyale wagon starting/running issue

I have recently acquired a 94 loyale wagon. It has issues starting and running. It had stale gas in it i drained it out as best i could and put about 2 gallons back in it. it has new plugs good spark and 50lbs of fuel pressure but will not start easily at least. The only way i have been able to get it started is if i put a little gas into the throttle body unplug the injector solenoid turn it over for a minute then it will start to fire poorly at wich time i plug the solenoid back in and it will stay running poorly for a short period of time untill it dies. if i leave the injector solenoid plugged in itll turn and turn and it will act like it starts to fire then itll just continue turning over with no fire at all it seems like its flooding itself out but i honestly have no clue any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Also it seems to help when you tap on the egr valve when try to start it.

Edited by risonm92

well not that anyone is following this obviously lol but did a compression test cylinder 3 is reading 120 all the others read 35 or less. First im going to let all cylinders soke with pb blaster and oil over night in hopes that the cylinders have washed out and the slim possibility that this will re seat them before undergoing a rebuild or ea81 swap.

Edited by risonm92

I would investigate the timing. perhaps the belt slipped or is missing teeth. has the car been serviced recently? You can check the timing by removing the outer covers on the ens and following the timing belt install procedure.

IT is possible that if the car had been serviced, the timing belt is installed upside down(out of phase)

Edited by MilesFox

Miles appears to mean that only two cylinders on one side are firing at the right time. because the camshaft on the one side was not offset 180 degrees from the other side, upon installation of the timing belts.  Just remove the outer most timing belt covers on the left front and right front areas of the engine.  The cover bolts tend to freeze inside of the brass inserts that are embedded in the back side cover.  You will be lucky if the bolts come out easily.  When reinstalling those bolts on the covers, use either a rubber or nylon washer beneath the bolt head.  Then they won't seize next time, from my experience.

i would start by confirming the timing belts are intact, next would be to make sure they aren't missing teeth and make sure they haven't slipped timing. since it has sat a while an inspection of the belts is a good idea anyway.

It definitely hasn't been serviced lately. I took it off a friend of mines hands he had purchased it from the original owner when he purchased it it had sat for a few years with a couple tries started it drove it onto a trailer and drove it off at which time it ran fine. Now fast forward 3 months it has sat unstarted and now here I am. I have found that the ea82 engines are extremely finicky when it comes to timing but would bad timing for whatever reason really affect compression in 3 of the four cylinders?

It sounds like the belts are not messed up on the cam gears, since it started and ran in the past.  The low cylinder head pressure is most likely due to either loose cylinder head bolts and/or the cylinder head gaskets need to be replaced.  It is easier to attempt to tighten the cylinder head bolts than to do a tear down to replace the head gaskets, by far.  You will need to remove the camtower covers on both sides, and the top horizontal tube that is held by one or two of the camtower bolts.  And a short 17 mm x 3/8" socket. 

Upon further testing and inspection the belts are intact and all teeth are present. Letting the cylinders soak in oil over night in hopes that the rings would reseat failed. Did a compression test again with same results 170 one #3 and less than 35 on the other 3 We would pressurize a bad cylinder and there was a distinct sound of air coming out of the oil tube soooo in other words bad rings or scored cylinder walls. We pulled the engine in just under two hours and now it awaits a full rebuild.

I would bet on the HG has failed before i would think the cylinder walls or rings are bad. any oil consumption is usually valve stems. I bet you a dollar you have nice crosshatches when you pull the heads.

Becareful on the amount of torque on the HG bolts as ea82's are not TTY bolts. Especially if the block has been overheated. Use the oem procedure and a precise torque wrench. you can shorten a 17mm socket to get the head bolts behind the cams without removing the cam tower. Follow torque procedure.

Edited by MilesFox

To my knowledge there was no oil consumption and I would imagine if it were a hg issue when I pressurized any of the bad cylinders as I did there would've been bubbles from the antifreeze which there was not but im not ruling anything out it's anyone's guess right now lol

Edited by risonm92