Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ej205 pistons into ea82t?

Ibreakstuff

As for the MLS torture test, I pulled the candidate ea82t this morning.. popped the valve covers and it looks almost too clean inside. Spare RX with intake mani and everything car side is ready for the transplant. I'll take pictures along the way if I remember. I still need to tear down the heads and clean everything up before reassembly.

The idea will be everything stock, even the bolts (+10lbs) and the G2G MLS gaskets. No intercooler. I have a spare td04 and 3" exhaust, but I will have get her legal with the stock turbo first (california smog sucks). If it holds 13+ psi during a sacramento rallycross session (Prairie City OHV park ftw), that will give me some confidence moving forward with the built motors.

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I use the Six Star MLS head gaskets at work all the time and they want no more then a 50RA surface from what I can remember. I use wet 220 grit to cut down the surface of imperfections and then go back over with wet 400 grit. I use it on a sanding block from Harbor Freight and either brake cleaner to lubricate the surface or Deep Creep if the imperfections aren't coming out with the brake cleaner.

I use the Six Star MLS head gaskets at work all the time and they want no more then a 50RA surface from what I can remember. I use wet 220 grit to cut down the surface of imperfections and then go back over with wet 400 grit. I use it on a sanding block from Harbor Freight and either brake cleaner to lubricate the surface or Deep Creep if the imperfections aren't coming out with the brake cleaner.

Yea ~50 RA is what the more modern MLS gaskets require. Gaskets 2 go recommended 20 RA for these, I think because it's the older style MLS viton coating. I'll be doing similar, just block it with 220... Make sure its flat with an edge and feelers. Then finish it on a surface plate with 400 then 600 wetordry.

Any tips on popping out the block dowels? I tried freezing the dowel and some blue wrench on the aluminum but they won't budge. Drill/tap/slide hammer, replace with new?

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to just be patient and go for the full build.

Taps, bits, hand reamers, and ball hone purchased. Enco decided to send me an extra drill press vise for free too, score!?

Getting close to real build time.

On my to do next list:
more/endless amount of parts cleaning
press in the ampco45 rod bushings and hand fit the pins
drill and tap blocks for 1/2" studs
some basic blueprinting of the blocks and cranks so I can order a few bearing sets (mics/bore gauge > plastigauge)

Edit:
Hone: GB33424 240 SC 92MM
Taps: HHS H3 1/2-13 Plug and Bottom
Bits: HHS 27/64 118 Jobber Bright

Reamers: Adjustable Size G (To fit small end bore and bushing)

Edited by Ibreakstuff
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
Injector eureka! Bosch 280150036 fits physically.. 485cc @ 3 bar - 2.2 ohms

Edit: There are a few options @ 406 and 338 cc also, nothing bigger in top feed/barbed style tho. With a fuel log or modifications there are tons of bigger options (84-87 RX7).

Edit2: There are probably tons more I have not found yet. This one is not barbed but would probably still work with the stock rail.. 0280150403 536cc 2.3 ohms
Edited by Ibreakstuff

• 1 month later...

very very imformative thread, this is KILLER!!!

I was seriously thinking about building a bad rump roast EA82 turbo when I do my EJ swap. just take my time.

GOAL:: To have 150-175 RELIABLE hp from my EA82T. Not greedy. Just run a modded TD04, TMIC, 12-14psi boost, and NOT blow head gaskets.

I already re-sealed this motor and upped the boost by 2psi without issues so far (except the motor sucking already). FP Head Gaskets are holding up so far at the over torqued 65 lb ft.

I have a question though. when I tore into this motor, I could swear I saw flat top pistons. I do not remember seeing any dish or valve reliefs at all. I could be wrong but if I am not is this normal? I saw in one of your pics the stock pistons had a dish machined in them pretty big. pretty sure mine were just flat........hmmm.

cool thread anyways and thanks!

GOAL:: To have 150-175 RELIABLE hp from my EA82T. Not greedy. Just run a modded TD04, TMIC, 12-14psi boost, and NOT blow head gaskets.

That's pretty greedy.......Factory race motors of the day made less.....And WILL blow gaskets....and crack heads.....

If your pistons were flat they were not turbo pistons.....turbo pistons have a deep dish.....but it's cast not machined.......they are actually way thicker on top even with the dish.

That's pretty greedy.......Factory race motors of the day made less.....And WILL blow gaskets....and crack heads.....

If your pistons were flat they were not turbo pistons.....turbo pistons have a deep dish.....but it's cast not machined.......they are actually way thicker on top even with the dish.

I usually take your word as gold around these parts, but I have to disagree with the performance potential. :)  The "factory" rally spec ea82t made ~181hp and just had a few basic modifications.. intake, lightened rods, and solid lash adjusters. Pretty much everything else was stock. I have the tech docs for modifying for rally spec, but none of the parts are avail.

When I get out of the poor house I plan to prove you wrong with head studs, mls hg's, and cooling upgrades.

Edit: I've posted these, but I'll just steal the link from ausubaru (Thanks Gannon):

http://www.ausubaru.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/rxModManual.pdf

Edited by Ibreakstuff

I found out that we have the special tool for doing the timeserts into the block. Looks like I will be doing some head studs sooner then I anticipated! Also found my dad's Dremel when my wife and I were visiting over the holidays so time to get some head porting done!

Oh and thanks for posting up the link to the old rally book. I've been wanting that for quite a few years now, just totally spaced going over to ausubaru.

I usually take your word as gold around these parts, but I have to disagree with the performance potential. :)  The "factory" rally spec ea82t made ~181hp and just had a few basic modifications.. intake, lightened rods, and solid lash adjusters. Pretty much everything else was stock. I have the tech docs for modifying for rally spec, but none of the parts are avail.

When I get out of the poor house I plan to prove you wrong with head studs, mls hg's, and cooling upgrades.

Edit: I've posted these, but I'll just steal the link from ausubaru (Thanks Gannon):

http://www.ausubaru.com/coppermine/albums/userpics/rxModManual.pdf

Thanks for reposting this!  Does anyone know where the first nine pages went?  I have read this document before and have never, ever seen those missing pages...

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Any news on the head gaskets, how'd they go?

I have a few thousand miles on one of set of the MLS gaskets, but only on stock pressures and stock pistons. I still have not put one together with the head studs and SLA's yet.

My wrx (motor #3) and ralliart (crash) have been drawing my attention away. The wife's 02 outback needed head gaskets too (ez30 not fun)... Trying to get back to tinkering with the RX's, the 88 is back in the garage at home.

Uncle Sam (tax return) bought me a tig welder and a tube bender this year. I'll be making a couple of EA turbo headers this month.

JD2 bender arrives tomorrow, I'll start prototyping ea82 turbo headers asap. The plan for the first header is 2" from the heads, 2" into 1.75" collector, and a 1.75" EJ style up pipe for spool. The first turbo is a cheap TD04L-19T (wrx turbo with a compressor upgrade).

• 5 months later...

time this old thread got bumped

this is an often forgotten forum section for me - expected to find this bump in the regular fast paced forum. I found it interesting to read Jul 2013 ivan was measuring up the possibility of EJ20 pistons NA in NA EA81 or 82. I recall maybe a year ago, somewhere, same guy saying he had done several of these EAs with EJ pistons and was a good upgrade. Am sort of missing the info in between. I am wondering if they have only been around a year or so, how are these engines going ?

Is it just a case of NA EJ20 pistons and rings, machine the little end bush in the con rod from std 21mm to the EJ gudgeon pin 23 mm and you are done ?

must remember to look in here more often :)

Edited by jono