Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Subaru Carb Identification & Help (Picture)

Been working on my '84 Brat lately. A few years ago I bought a Hitachi Carb from a junkyard, but I can't remember what it came off of.

Was wondering if anyone could ID it, and could maybe give some insight on if I can use it on my Brat. Excuse me if I don't know the technical names of some of the parts.

The one on the left is the Hitachi out of my 1984 Subaru Brat.

The one on the right is the Hitachi from the junkyard.

Noticeable differences:

Original carb has two metal doohickies on the rear (circled) while the junkyard carb has only one.

Original carb has mechanical/electrical solenoid on the left, yellow wire. Junkyard carb has all electrical.

Original carb has a hose attached on the front (circled), the junkyard carb does not have this hose attachment.

Junkyard carb has a hose going from the metal doohicky on the lower rear to the top of the carb. Original carb does not have such connection.

I actually installed the junkyard carb and attached all the hoses, and was left with an extra hose with no connection, due to the junkyard carb not having the hose connection on the front.

Car started and idled normally and throttle worked fine, however I was worried about the extra hose so I came here to ask the pros.

The hose I'm talking about his highlighted in the second picture, I took pictures of everything before I unhooked the original carb, and labelled each hose.

Anyone have any info on the mystery carb and if I can use it?

Thanks in advance. Can get more pictures if needed.

post-7778-0-86180800-1367704715_thumb.jpg

post-7778-0-93544200-1367704722_thumb.jpg

Edited by Harvester

I would recommend just running the junkyard carb, and finding a rebuild kit for the original one. The big "doohickey" at the bottom is the vacuum diaphragm for the secondary throttle plate, which is the same as the second vacuum diaphragm on the original carb (the one closest to the carb), the first one, which both carbs have, is the pull off for the electric choke. I'm not sure what the port on the front of the carb is for, I THINK that is for the carbon canister but I can't remember, been too long since I've dug around under the hood of an 84, but the carbon canister isn't essential for the car to run right, so you should be OK blocking that port off, especially if your car doesn't have a charcoal canister.

The lack of duty solenoids on the 2nd carb indicate it's off a 4WD federal model, as the CA models and 2WDs all had the computer-controlled feedback carburetor, where the 4WD models did not.

• Like 1