Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Gettin' real tired of split boots..

so  I have an 86 gl with 2" lift and the front inner boots keep splitting. I've replaced both axles around a month ago and they're both already split. Is there something I can do to stop this or am I just going to have to get really good at swapping them. I know the axles I got were not the best but I would think the boots would last a little longer than that. this car also has the adjustable struts, and they are in the lowest setting.

I've put 2 sets of front axles in, in less than 1k miles.

Edited by AKghandi

Undo the axle boot clamp on the shaft and slide the boot about 1/2" inwards (over the retaining nub thingy, you'll see what I mean), then put a new clamp on it (heavy duty zip tie). I went from replacing axle boots all the time, to having the same axles on there for the last year.

Also (and I don't know how correct a thing this is to do), I smear a thin coat of axle grease on the outside of the boot. At full droop if the rubber touches itself it won't overheat and wear through, and it helps keep the boot from drying out and cracking.

Edited by 987687

that's what I was afraid of, could I lower the cross-member 1" without lengthening the steering?

Steering coupler needs to be longer.  A friend of mine used  factory early outback crossmember spacers (about an inch and a quarter thick iirc) and an early Legacy steering coupler on his two inch lifted Loyale. He had a slight vibration before the crossmember drop that went away and he didn't have boot issues.

Undo the axle boot clamp on the shaft and slide the boot about 1/2" inwards (over the retaining nub thingy, you'll see what I mean), then put a new clamp on it (heavy duty zip tie). I went from replacing axle boots all the time, to having the same axles on there for the last year.

Also (and I don't know how correct a thing this is to do), I smear a thin coat of axle grease on the outside of the boot. At full droop if the rubber touches itself it won't overheat and wear through, and it helps keep the boot from drying out and cracking.

+1

When running lifted over stock geometry, the boots are constantly stretched and can drop futher than the factory setup.  Sliding the inner clamp in towards the joint will keep them from tearing prematurely.

Subaru shops will smear brake fluid all over both boots, in order to cause them to disintegrate within 30 days, and bring you back for more work.  Have you been doing that?

this is unsolcited, subjective slander, and is in no way pertinant to the discussion.

so I know the axles I got were not the best .

keep it simple - install new, high quality boots and then see what happens.

lifted subaru's will eat through sub-par axles, get something reasonable on there if you're running a lift.

Subaru shops will smear brake fluid all over both boots, in order to cause them to disintegrate within 30 days, and bring you back for more work.  Have you been doing that?

Soooo... did you work for Subaru?  Or is this what happened to you?

It is only slander if the statement is false.

So on the axle boot subject, I don't mind rebooting an axle.  Just trying to find a good solution to attach the bands.  The metal bands in the boot kit are a joke.   Then NAPA has some universal bands... but the tool to tighten (crimp) the metal band is like $100.

I'm looking at the plastic zip ties now... just need a good way to tighten them securely.  Probably a tool for that also.

My boots were from RockAuto and have the Raybestos brand name.  Not sure of the quality.  This is my first attempt at re-booting.   I have several more boots torn on other Soobs...waiting for me to figure it out!

To be honest, find a friend whos got that band clamp pliers... zip ties may work (the heavy duty ones that you can REALLY crank on) and yeah, the no-tool style band clamps can't seal the boot causing the grease to leak when it liquefies at operating temp..

Beck Arnely boots are good and try pushing them in a little farther as said above... getting the boot to stay is another thing.. lol 

the tool - try harbor freight maybe has a decent priced one?  i'm actually going to be getting one soon, glad you brought it up , i could use it right now.

others have used zipties....i think GD says use American made if you can find them.

i zip tied one...i can't remember why, but just earlier this year obviously the boot clamp had come off...it's still holding.