Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Possible Drive Train Swap

So, im toying with the idea of switching my car from 4wd to an AWD drivetrain.  I have got my hands on a 99 subaru impreza with the 2.2.  I was wondering how much of this can i use on my current 88 subaru dl.  I was wanting to swap over the entire thing and i dont remember if anyone has done this before.  

Ben

p.s. i have tried looking it up but havent had much luck.

I know its been covered here a time or two, keywords are your enemy with searching effectively.  But the wiring for the engine will be basically the same as whats covered in the ea-ej swap guides. 

Your 99 is a phase 2 ej22, which limits parts interchange to 99-01 ej22's and phase 2 ej25s. 

Look for an xt6 manual trans crossmember, will make mounting the transmission a breeze. You'll also have to switch over to 25 spline ea82 turbo axles if keeping stock hubs. There will be some custom work to the shifter I can't remember if it needs to be shortened or lengthened right off hand.  The rear diff should be a non-issue, check the codes on the transmission, but it should be a 3.90:1 ratio which means keep your rear diff in place.  Your driveshaft will need to be shortened ~2 inches if memory serves.

I know I'm missing some stuff, wait for Numbchux to chime in, he'll pick up where I've missed or where I'm mistaken

Find a 90-94 legacy wire harness works way better the 99 has to many default codes and will need a ton of imputs to work right but the 99 engine runs fine on 90-94 wire harness exept no idle motor and have to weld up idle motor port on top of intake and drive the plug down to lower part of intake

Find a 90-94 legacy wire harness works way better the 99 has to many default codes and will need a ton of imputs to work right but the 99 engine runs fine on 90-94 wire harness exept no idle motor and have to weld up idle motor port on top of intake and drive the plug down to lower part of intake

You can also make a thin plate that bolts on between the throttle body (use the 90-94) and the 99 intake.  This plate can be the block off for the IAC so no welding involved.

THe Dude......your gonna need XT6 rear hubs to switch to 5 lug.  Fronts are easy (i hear) but the rear needs either the XT6 rear hub or a crossbreed kit from AUS.

• 2 weeks later...

Or if you spend enough time, you can grab an EJ carb intake (overseas.. EDM, AUDM, LADM I believe) and just run it "blind" (purely mechanical).. Like people do with LSx swaps into older stuff... they grab a carb intake and just run a Holly or QJet and an ignition controller. The early EJ ECU and harnesses can be stripped down for spark-only duty.

you will still need xt6 hubs to 5 lug the rear. the trans should fit using an xt6 mount. driveshaft does need to be shortened. 

what 86BRATMAN posted pretty much sums it up.

make sure you get ea82 turbo manual or 4eat axles since 3at axles are still 23 spline, but 25 spline doj's will swap onto them.

Edited by MilesFox