Ultimate Subaru Message Board

In my own Humble Opinion, a Good Weber Carb, properly tuned, is one of the Best things that you could put in a Carburated EA engine, especially if the Original old carburator is in bad condition; the Weber helps with the Low end torque and has better acceleration; but you must respect the emmissions regulations in your area.

Beside the 32/36 Weber, which is Progressive (The High Stage opens when the Low Stage reached the Half Opening) there are some people who retrofitted the 38/38 DGAS which is Synchronous, (Both Stages opens and Closes all the Time together) but that last one isn't intended for Daily Driving use... is for Racing purposes, if you use it as daily driver, Gas Mileage will be an issue; while the Gas Mileage done with the 32/36 is close to Stock Specs.

Kind Regards.

Has anyone compiled a walk through for the swap? I've taken the stock weber/carter off and on it before but i didn't know which hose was what really, i just made sure to put them all back where they were.  What would I have to do to be able to do the swap? just become more familiar with carbs in general to get all the hoses right? What other parts would one need, conversion plate of some sort I assume?  Right now when I do a job, unless i'm redoing my first attempt, it's the first time i've done it and I just go by the book.  So am I over my head, for now, to do this to my ea81?

Edited by noahkort

for the OP, you can use a DF series as well as a DG series, but be carefull which one you buy to make sure that the venturies are the same size as the DGV.  the DF series is reversed and fits better if you have power steering.

Noakort - the weber doesnt use all that crap, its one of the best reasons to do the swap.  theres more than one write up on the site here, check in the repair manual section.  to sum up a bit of it to answer your question...

there are 3 fuel lines coming from the firewall - fuel line, return line, tank vent.  the only one you must hook up is the fuel line, you can leave the others hanging loose, or use the other port on the weber or a 3 way fuel filter to hook up the return line as well.

there is one vacuum line that will go to the distributor, one that will go to the heater controls, and thats pretty much it, the rest is gone.  there may be another line or 2 for auxillary systems like AC, but it should be pretty obvious.  plug any vacuum lines directly off the manifold, the hard metal lines that run under the manifold can just all be left unhooked.

you will need an adapter, check out Jeszeks signiture a few posts above, he has a write up for a datsun adapter that works well.  you will also need to fab up a linkage depending on what type of weber you get.

• Like 1

Has anyone compiled a walk through for the swap? I've taken the stock weber/carter off and on it before but i didn't know which hose was what really, i just made sure to put them all back where they were.  What would I have to do to be able to do the swap? just become more familiar with carbs in general to get all the hoses right? What other parts would one need, conversion plate of some sort I assume?  Right now when I do a job, unless i'm redoing my first attempt, it's the first time i've done it and I just go by the book.  So am I over my head, for now, to do this to my ea81?

you will need a different intake manifold, you can only get weber adaptors for the 2 barrel hitachi carbmanifold

it  will fit right on, get genuine subaru intake gaskets.

The weather to weber or not question has come up here regularly for as long as I've been on the USMB and I'm sure it will continue for all time. i thought I would post these pics as I have them and they are a good reference. The answer has always been and will always be, Yes Weber is better. your manifold can look like this

IMG_0366_zps73e49f6c.jpg

or this, this is the manifold that has sat on four different engines in my hatch

IMG_0368_zps5f9b5487.jpg

As far as what hose you run where, anyone doing this swap really should study the emission controlls on their particular car. Get to understand them, where they are and what they do, then it all makes sense. It really is't as confusing as all those hoses would have you fear..You will plug what you don't want/need, and find ways to rig up what you do want.  The two things most people keep would likely be the egr and disty advance. simple easy nice.

• Like 1