Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EGR Delete - EA81

In the works of finishing swapping the EA82 intake on an EA81 Brat. The intake came with the EGR deleted (a nice plate with gasket covering it). What are the issues with deleting it? The issue is also the EGR pipe isn't exactly lining up, its sitting a bit higher. Should we just get a cap and cap off the EGR pipe? I did attempt to search but seeing as EGR is too short of a word to search for I did not get much. If anyone has an useful links that would be awesome.

In the works of finishing swapping the EA82 intake on an EA81 Brat. The intake came with the EGR deleted (a nice plate with gasket covering it). What are the issues with deleting it? The issue is also the EGR pipe isn't exactly lining up, its sitting a bit higher. Should we just get a cap and cap off the EGR pipe? I did attempt to search but seeing as EGR is too short of a word to search for I did not get much. If anyone has an useful links that would be awesome.

Just kill it. Delete and good riddance.

Twitch

Just kill it. Delete and good riddance.

Twitch

So capping the hole is fine? I am all for that just wanted to make sure there are no other steps need to be taken besides capping the pipe hole and EGR hole.

theres a gasket that normally seals the EGR so that the gas doesnt leak through when the EGR is closed.  Id make sure to have that gasket or another one when you put the block plate on, or it may leak into the intake.

other than that its all internal, you can block the tube from the head, or just hook it back up and let the block plate do the job.

if you want to look it up, the acronym stands for exhaust gas recirculation.

I run into the 3 letter word  search problem all the time. Here is a good google tip for you:

use "site:" to search within a specific site.

so type into google:

egr  80's site:ultimatesubaru.org

egr   -  your search term

80's  -  (another search term) to get it to look mostly in the old gen sub-forum

site:  -  tells it only to search in the following domain

I run into the 3 letter word  search problem all the time. Here is a good google tip for you:

use "site:" to search within a specific site.

so type into google:

egr  80's site:ultimatesubaru.org

egr   -  your search term

80's  -  (another search term) to get it to look mostly in the old gen sub-forum

site:  -  tells it only to search in the following domain

Thanks for the tip, I will use that when attempting to search.

Just cut the pipe off the adapter and loosen the fitting. Find a piece of round metal that will plug the hole (often times a quarter fits) and tighten the fitting back into the hole. Viola, EGR delete.

Twitch

That was my intention (minus a quarter)!

theres a gasket that normally seals the EGR so that the gas doesnt leak through when the EGR is closed.  Id make sure to have that gasket or another one when you put the block plate on, or it may leak into the intake.

other than that its all internal, you can block the tube from the head, or just hook it back up and let the block plate do the job.

if you want to look it up, the acronym stands for exhaust gas recirculation.

It has the gasket with it so that is a plus. I knew what egr stood for it was just not many people spell it out. But thanks for the advice as I plan to remove the pipe and block it off.