Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Stuck in 3rd Gear ! help - its finals week!

I have a huge problem. its finals week and my 81 gl wagon is stuck in 3rd gear. it would stick every once in a while in 4th for the past few weeks but now it wont come out of 3rd. the cable is still connected to the are on the bell housing. linkage pins seem there and cant see anything wrong with the linkage, other than it wont hardly budge.it still drives in 3rd, 2wd and 4 hi and lo work still. Is that a shift fork out of placement? is there anything I can do short of pulling the trans? also were can I get diagrams of the transmission internal R&R?

thanks

There are a few things it can be, but unfortunately they are all internal. Bent shift fork, seized shift rod or a bad synchro slider. You can try snapping the throttle open and close while driving so the car is jerking and pull back on the stick at the same time. It may come out, but unfortunately it will most likely stick again.

it was not before. it is just stuck now. wont move much. I am thinking its a shift fork problem after the things ive read on here. going to take it out  and crack it open and see whats going on next week somtime. the clutch was worn before but im not sure if that has anything to do with it or not because i can still depress the clutch pedal a couple inches

The steel part of the snycro gets burred and the slider go's over it and will not come back off if you look inside you will find a jamed up syncro has to be deburred i use a tiny stone on a dremel toll to do thiss. The burr will be on the top of the meatal syncro on the highest point of the tooth were it makes contact with brass syncro

Have only seen it 3 times in 15 years one on rally car with 2.2 turbo stuck in 3rd one on 81 gl wagon stuck in 1rst and one deul range 5 speed stuck in first all had to come apart to be fixed it happens from trying to go into to low of a gear at to high of speed