Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Low mpg and slightly low power... Starting place?

1995 legacy 2.2 automatic, awd, 160,000, all stock.... I own 4 2.2 legos... All get around 22 mpg average. A few weeks back my son noticed he was dumping more gas in more often than normal. Had him check the gas mileage over a full tank.... 13.7 mpg. Also, it seems to be lacking its previous get up and go.... Sluggish, but not horrible. I have had the cat converter suggested.... What other likely culprits are good starting points? No engine light, by the way....

Thanks!

Fuel pressure could be a culprit, how long has it been since the fuel filters been replaced? Is acting like its flooded when you first start it? Could be a leaky injector o-ring. The cattilitic converter could be, that can be checked with a simple vaccume gauge, or with a temp gun.

Edited by mikaleda

It's likely been a couple years since he last tune up. It starts just fine and does not act flooded.... The power sluggishness is most notable when heading up steep hills. The fuel filters may be quite old.... But would that cause the milage issue?

Can a standard muffler shop like midas check the cat?

Fuel filter(s)..... Inside the tank or on the frame rail?.... Are there 2?

Looks like tune up and filters is going to have to be first to rule it out and maybe a cat test....

Fuel filter should be under the hood on the drivers side, it looks like a black canister with two hoses on top. It wouldn't hurt to change it, if its clogged enough it could cause your problem.

Try looking up "how to test cattilitic converter on YouTube, there are a few videos in it I personally like Eric the car guys videos, but I don't think he shows how to test one with a vaccume gauge.

Edited by mikaleda

It's likely been a couple years since he last tune up. It starts just fine and does not act flooded.... The power sluggishness is most notable when heading up steep hills. The fuel filters may be quite old.... But would that cause the milage issue?

Can a standard muffler shop like midas check the cat?

Fuel filter(s)..... Inside the tank or on the frame rail?.... Are there 2?

Looks like tune up and filters is going to have to be first to rule it out and maybe a cat test....

Fuel filter is under the hood, not aware that there may be another one.

Don't recommend going to Midas Muffler. Their solution is always to sell you the most they can, at the highest price, even if you don't need it. So, of course Midas will tell you that you need a new cat............as well as an entire new muffler system.

For what it is worth......I had a blocked cat on a car. A piece of the cat material broke loose inside the cat, and partially blocked the exhaust gas flow through the system. The result was that the engine would not rev much above 2,000 rpm.

Suggest you add a can of Techron fuel injector cleaner. Don't waste your money on cheap injector cleaner, as they don't work well.

Change your air filter, if it has been in the car more then 2 years. A very dirty air filter can cause the problems you are having.

Probably a bad front O2 sensor, though it wouldn't hurt to start with new plugs wires and filters if they haven't been changed in a few years.

Also pick up a can of MAF sensor cleaner and clean the MAF element. That will certainly cause power issues.

Another biggy on the EJs is the knock sensor, if the housing is cracked it needs to be replaced.

Does the engine temp gauge get up to the 1/2 point when the car is warmed up?

Car could be due for a full tuneup, proper plugs, wires, air filter fuel filter, pcv valve.

How does the car run otherwise

Also another thing to look at is a stuck brake