Ultimate Subaru Message Board

replacing muffler

recently bought a 92 loyale and would like to replace the muffler assembly myself. (just the assembly, not the front or rear exhaust pipe,)

i know my way around basic mechanics, but nothing too fancy. is this job doable on my own? what do i do about any intense corrosion/rust i might find at the gasket between the rear pipe and the assembly?

thanks

If the muffler was welded on then the task gets much more difficult. If you have lots of rust on the flange then a new flange will also be needed to be welded on. If you have welding equipment go for it.......otherwise your best bet might be to head to the muffler shop.

• 8 years later...

LOL WUT?

Sawzall, universal muffler, 2 repair sleeves and 4 clamps. Done.

If you want to do stock-style, start hosing bolts down with PBblaster or Kroil NOW. Usually, the bolts snap before unscrewing, so be prepared to drill the bolts out of the flange. You might get lucky and they come apart easily though.

I cannot remember if the studs are in the muffler pipe or in the exhaust pipe. If studs are in the muffler pipe, just cut the nuts off and slip new pipe into the exhaust pipe's flanges(exhaust pipe is the long one under the car)

I usually just found a universal muffler, hacked the old one off and installed repair sleeves.

I just replaced my muffler in my 91loyale with a muffler from a94 loyale

Very simple 2 14mm bolts and the hangers.

The bolts were rusted pretty good so i cut them off with a sawzall then its just came apart. I bought some new stainless bolts and put it back together

Now if you were going aftermarket id recomend having it welded.