Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Oil light comes on at stop light

Hey there USMB. Trying to get the ol girl on the road. I can get her to idle ok and she drives down the road but after she warms up and I stop at a stop light the oil pressure light comes on and she will stall out. Any ideas as to the problem? I'm assuming the pickup might be clogged but would that give me the same symptom of running fine at higher rpms and stalling at low? Any help would be appreciated. 

Just buy a guage, their cheap.

You could be low on oil. I have a car that burns through oil and everytime it's a quart low, the oil light comes on when I stop. My brat measures a quart low on the dip stick with the recomended amount of oil. So either someone put the wrong dipstick in or the wrong oil pan. What I'm trying to say is, if the car is new to you, you might be getting a false reading on the dipstick.

The stalling may not be related to the oil problem at all. It may just be a low idle which can be adjusted on your carburator.

Well took her out today and lo and behold no problems. What the hell. Ha. I'll keep the oil level in mind. She says she's where she should be and when I did an oil change last I put in the amount specified by Haynes. I'm ruling out the carb since I did a rebuild and it has been adjusted properly with my tach dwell gauge. It would idle fine and then after driving it a bit she would die at the lights. Today though I took her out to see how she would do and she drove about 30 miles with no hiccups. Hopefully I can soon consider her a daily driver. It's been a long time coming. Thanks for the suggestions guys. Much appreciated as always. 

Year and mileage?  

What is your idle RPM?

Check your alt output (humor me)

Get a gauge, they are cheap enough for test purposes. If you want to mount the gauge get a name brand. Get one where you can actually read the low end of scale.

When it stalls does it sputter or just cut out.

Well... apparently I had some tunnel vision on that oil pressure light. Checked the alternator today and it failed the test. Had the local parts store run it through their machine and it failed. Switched out to a new one and started right up. Looks like it had nothing to do with the oil pump. Thanks nipper for putting the bad alternator seed in my head. So damn basic. Ha. Now for a valve job this weekend to kill the slight tick and then hopefully she'll find herself in the world of daily drivers. She seems to be loving the road. Thanks for the help and ideas guys.