Ultimate Subaru Message Board

East Coast Subie people need Colorado parts?

Hey fellow Subie fans,

I'm going to be moving from Boulder, Colorado (near Denver) to Brooklyn, N.Y. (NYC...) and will be stopping by Denver's Subaru-filled junkyard on the way out to stock up on parts. Do any of you East Coast Subie people need anything while I'm there? If so, give me a call and we can work something out vis-a-vis shipping costs. You chipping in on gas (and maybe a little labor) will be hugely cheaper than having something shipped.

Personally, I've had poor luck finding parts and parts cars on the East Coast (they all rusted to pieces years ago). But the Denver U Pull and Pay always has nearly a dozen GLs and Loyales in the yard.

If you need something, give me a call at (757) 635-2136. I'll be in Denver until Friday afternoon (May 17, 2013). 

Cheers,

Ben

And check the "Wish List" thread in Historic. Print it out and have it with you. That's what it's intended for.

Quick thoughts for our cars:

Nice set of 14" alloys , red Impreza hood and passénger side fender.

I'll add more but I'm off to sleep .....

So here's the low-down: I will be cruising by the U Pull and Pay in Denver, and they have a mess of Subarus on the lot right now. Sadly, there is nothing before 1984, but there are plenty of GLs, Loyales, Legacies and even an XT (someone should really throw one of those into a Corvair one of these days!). Here's what their inventory looks like (the price list for parts is also linked on their side... pretty standardized, so the more accessory parts you can do without, the cheaper the parts)...just use the drop-down menus to find Subaru models: 

http://www.upullandpay.com/denver/search-inventory

You can also peruse Craigslist. If it's in the immediate Denver or Boulder area, we might be able to work something out. Sorry, I can't drive up into the Rockies to get parts. Unfortunately, I'm still on the hook for work this week and have to file online while I'm on the road.

Anyway, happy hunting and please do shoot me an e mail (benjamachine at gmail dot com) if you think there's something here you need.

Oh, and here's a pic of my BQE-smashing whip, looking all belligerent in front of my crappy Brokelyn apartment building. Let me tell you friends, a Weber carb, glasspack muffler and slow traffic on New York's awful freeways work wonders in making an 85hp car feel sporty.

https://twitter.com/benjamachine/status/330710566962356224

Just a little education for getting here. NYC doesnt have freeways, but highways and parkways, they are not the same. Parkways are no trucks due to lane width and low bridges. Also depending upon what Uhaul beast you are bringing here, be fully aware of the height of the truck. If it is not marked measure it and read the bridge height signs.

And welcome to the land of alt side of the street parking

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/html/motorist/alternate-side-parking.shtml

Get yourself a cheap bicycle and multiple locks, easiest way to get around locally at times.

Drop me a line when your settled, maybe we can make a sooby welcoming party for you.

Just a little education for getting here. NYC doesnt have freeways, but highways and parkways, they are not the same. Parkways are no trucks due to lane width and low bridges. Also depending upon what Uhaul beast you are bringing here, be fully aware of the height of the truck. If it is not marked measure it and read the bridge height signs.

Get yourself a cheap bicycle and multiple locks, easiest way to get around locally at times.

Drop me a line when your settled, maybe we can make a sooby welcoming party for you.

Ah so they are! I spent a number of years in Southern California, where there are lots of freeways.

Anyway, I'll be back in town Sunday. I've already been living in Red Hook for about a month, and parking there is a breeze.

Justy digital clock, Justy fender liners (front), Justy air intake snorkle (by the battery) :)

And You being in brooklyn, your just the next county over. 

I have not seen any Justy's in the yards out here.  Don't get your hopes up on that one.

Yay! Another east coast subaruholic. I'm 10 miles away from Brooklyn! If that! Let me know if you need any help with anything when you get here.

Ah so they are! I spent a number of years in Southern California, where there are lots of freeways.

Anyway, I'll be back in town Sunday. I've already been living in Red Hook for about a month, and parking there is a breeze.

More '94-and-before Subarus in BK and the tri-state please!!!!

I'm definitely the biggest benefactor of the USMB in Brooklyn. 

With the help of 175eya who's just across the Hudson river in Jersey, @CoyotePaws in Ohio & everyone on here, i located the best Loyale i could find within 500 miles of NYC (thanks again @CoyotePaws, maybe your alt USMB handle should be InternetBloodHound!) learned about all the general issues/drawbacks to owning at car manufactured 20+ years ago (when the highest speed limit in the USA was 55mph!) that boasts a whopping 90HP, pushing 4,500RPM to hit btwn 70-80mph (stiil thinking up a good name for her, jealous of 175eya's cleverly named "Margaret Scratcher", but on deck are "Joan Crawlins" and "Slow Piscapo" for mine, too bad it's tradition to only pick a girl's name), their tendency to rust and develop piston-tick, affectionately referred to as the "T.O.D." or "tick of Death", what to do about these issues (primarily my Loyale's TOD) and how to find all kinds of parts for cheap and that would be really tough to find here as well, including a stock AM/FM cassette player to replace the radio it came with it, rear cargo cover, new Oil Pump w/ gaskets (to get rid of my TOD) off craigslist for $40 instead of the usual $180, not to mention tons of encouragement and advice. 

I had to drill out some rivets on an old bike rack for a regular sedan to retro-fit it to my loyale wagon, but definitely has been coming in handy for going to pick up my bike where i left it parked or just taking it somewhere w/ a few other bikes and people to where it's better to ride. All about using a bike w/ a tempered steal chain and lock here @Nipper. I'm also down to have a Subie welcoming party here in NYC. definitely wanna get a pic of all them together, 175eya's Loyale & GL sedans would really round out the shot. and everyone, including plenty of idiots w/ minivans, is a member of an "AutoClub" in brooklyn, like 3 or more people who have any kind of car simply come up w/ a name, make a decal for it and all put it on their ride, and bam, they're in an "Autoclub". Vintage Subie AutoClub anyone? hahahah...

anyway, i'm disappointed i didn't get to read this thread a day earlier when i coulda maybe scored some parts for my loyale before you left the denver area (i used to live in Boulder too, and just went to visit a few months ago (so many loyales on the road still out there!) Safe travels, get in touch soon. 

-Glen