Ultimate Subaru Message Board

EJ Swap O2 Sensor

herb

So my EJ swap is on the road (thanks to the tireless efforts of dr.suberdave), but with no o2 sensor at the moment.  I got subie101's headers and got the rest of the exhaust done at proexhaust, but they didnt put a bung in for the o2 sensor, and obviously im getting a CEL.  My question is would it be better/smarter/more economical to get the bung and sensor put in, or leave it sensor-less and potentially correct it via a retune? Thanks in advance, I appreciate it guys.

I also have a header from subie101, when I built my mid pipe assembly I used a universal catalytic converter with a integral o2 sensor bung and then an additional one after the cat.

I just drilled a 3/4" hole and welded the o2 bung on the pipe. I was able to pick up a weld in bung with a plug from amazon for $10 link [the thread pitch and diameter is the same as OE replacement sensors for a 97 Legacy]

it would probably be easier/better/smarter to just run the o2 sensor. plus no CEL would be awesome... (my CEL is not attributed to the oxygen sensors)

Ben

Well, no N/A EJ ECU is re-tuneable.....so unless you're running a standalone, that's not an option.

Assuming this is an up-stream 02 Sensor (it helps to know what year, model, size, etc. EJ you have  :rolleyes: ), it is used to constantly adjust fuel trims. Yes, install it.

Well, no N/A EJ ECU is re-tuneable.....so unless you're running a standalone, that's not an option.

Well, I beg to differ.  B)

Anyway, yes weld a bung on and put a sensor in.  For anything other than a pure race car it makes a whole lot of sense.