Ultimate Subaru Message Board

LPG conversion...

m12-lrv

Second, you need a minimum of 9.5:1 compression or a small engine like that will be a gutless t*urd and run like garbage.

The EA81 runs fine on LPG....i know because i drove my one 25'000 miles after i converted before it had a hyro lifter failure that spalled the cam....i had the timing set way advanced....like i ran out of movement on the dizzy adjustment slot and ran it at that.

it ran really well....well enough that i was pretty gutted at the time that i had to swap it out for an EJ

This is awesome! Thanks for all the informative replies. Ive also noticed a huge increase in natural gas powered vehicles in my area, gonna look into it soon. Ive just been real busy with my newest toy. I must have subaru a.d.d. or something

2013-06-11084530_zpsd37a0d5f.jpg

http://www.ultimatesubaru.org/forum/topic/137844-matts-gl-sedan/

this is the propane system Ivan mentioned, i havent gotten anywhere with it yet, but it's there waiting for me.  

http://www.lgc.hk/

of course, i dont have a clue if its CSA certified or not. they have spfi ones too, but not sure if its the good venturi that was mentioned.

Edited by matts87glsedan

make sure your regulator is speced to rise rate with boost.... or if not make sure that you can compensate on the fuel map......i had to diagnose a EFI LPG problem that would make the car bog and die under boost, ran like a monster without boost....turned out to be when on boost the regulator  pressure didn't rise with manifold pressure and there was no way of compensating in the fuel map....lol budget NA injection system fitted to a turbo motor= fail

I had to feed the propane into the turbo like a old turbo buick used a 425 mixer into a ej2.5 had to run draw thru

:o .....Sir, please step AWAY from the intercooler and put the ignition keys down.......

How did you wire it up so you only got spark without the ecu going on strike because the fuel injectors weren't returning the correct signal? or did you you run injector emulators?

make sure your regulator is speced to rise rate with boost.... or if not make sure that you can compensate on the fuel map......i had to diagnose a EFI LPG problem that would make the car bog and die under boost, ran like a monster without boost....turned out to be when on boost the regulator  pressure didn't rise with manifold pressure and there was no way of compensating in the fuel map....lol budget NA injection system fitted to a turbo motor= fail

So the manifold pressure wasnt allowing the regulated gas to enter into the manifold?   damn. now that i think about it, the regulator has a vac line on it  which i think needs to feel vacuum to allow fuel to flow at all... i  dont think a fuel map change would fix that.    :banghead:   but i could hopefully be wrong.  Expect to hear some questions from me over the next little while, haha. 

Edited by matts87glsedan

• 2 weeks later...

it could be done....except that your ignition timing will be a bit far advanced for petrol if your using dizzy based ignition...ecu controlled ignition will compensate on the fly based on the knock sensor.

you would be better off adjusting your propane A/F under boost rather than putting a lower octane fuel into the mix...but thats just my $0.02 minus tax

• 2 months later...

Well, I'm back after a few months off.  My Mom passed away June 30.

Just picked up an '81 Brat.   The fuel tank is gone.  Carb is probably shot, due to the motor not running since 2008.  Anyway, this seems like a good candidate for LP conversion.

So, what do I need?  And where do I get it?

It's good to be back... Let's see who's out there   Ron w.

you will need a filler inlet (Acme 1 3/4" from memory seeing as your in the states) the hose from filler to tank, the tank and mounts/brackets, hose or tube from tank to engine bay, a lock-off valve(either vac or electric), a regulator/vapouriser, hoses to hook regulator to heater hoses, line from regulator to mixer/carb and finally a carburetor/mixer....plus assorted fittings to connect hoses to tank, regulator etc

Edited by LPGsuperchargedBrumby