Ultimate Subaru Message Board

ea82 cam tower oil seal question.

Is this the correct cam tower  o-ring for my ea82? I'm describing the o-ring that goes between the cam tower and the head? They were not labeled and were packaged in small manila envelopes inside the Felpro head gasket set I bought. I'm wondering about it now because there were three or four of them included in the head set.

post-28702-0-07544100-1368592940_thumb.jpg

Pretty certain that is used for something else.  (Though I can't think of what would take 3 or 4... you could look on the FelPro package's contents list.)

The proper gaskets, which I have never personally seen in a FelPro set, are flat metal washers that are coated in rubber.

oops. It seems to be running good? I know they had to squish down a little when I tightened the cam tower bolts. I'll have to get the proper seals.

If they were not high temperature rated O-rings, then they will melt under high oil temperatures, and seep into the oil port in the direction of flow.  Been there, done that.

Thanks for your input. I HAVE noticed that my oil pressure is generally higher than it's ever been. e.g. 45 lbs @ 1000 RPM and 70-80 lbs  @ 2000 RPM. Could restricted oil passages going to the cam towers cause that?

I think I'll put a cup of used motor oil from my ea82 in a tin can and boil this remaining seal atop my coleman stove out in the middle of our local gravel pit just to see what happens. I better get a fire extinguisher first though. duh. I couldn't check the Felpro package list because the garbage man had already ran off with it.

Pretty certain that is used for something else.  (Though I can't think of what would take 3 or 4... you could look on the FelPro package's contents list.)

The proper gaskets, which I have never personally seen in a FelPro set, are flat metal washers that are coated in rubber.

The old original one's I took out were thin and hard and brittle and snapped in half when I tried bending them. I didn't detect any sign of metal in them. Hmmm?

Just buy a couple of genuine Subaru O-rings and you will see the difference.  The engine gets hotter than boiled water.  Your engine will tell you when you better fix the problem, when it gets louder from the oil being choked off from getting to the hydraulic lifters.

Per your PM, I pulled a couple seals from my stash-o-parts.

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

• Like 1

I've gone 428 miles so far with no problems. I'm amazed at how good it's been running as it was my first rodeo on a ea82 HG install. It had the common hairline cracks between the valve seats on every cylinder but I went with it anyway after researching the issue here on usmb. I did put a coat of copper spray on the HG's and I put about 3 ft. lbs. of extra torque on each head bolt after going thru the third torque sequence.

post-28702-0-31839000-1368971496_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

For those who may need to find the part number for these specials seals, the Subaru Part Number and Description are:

13089AA010        "O Ring - CMS Case"

Thanks! Exactly the information for which I came looking!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...