Ultimate Subaru Message Board

enginehaus engines

• 1 month later...

I'm curious about enginehaus as well. HGs and clutch are in need of replacement. Their prices seem reasonable for a full rebuilt motor + install.

Anyone at all?

I guess that would also my first post here on USMB :) Hello USMB Forum!! Been a reader for quite some time (before the site revamp).

• 1 month later...

http://www.enginehaus.com/engines

located in Gig Harbor, Washington.

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY!!!! I've found several random reviews saying Eric, who also sells engines etc on Craigslist, is rude and sells bad products he doesn't back up with his "warranty" It took a lot of digging to find them because as you could see, his reviews were all "filtered" meaning they've been removed by a company they pay. I wish I would have known that before we had them replace the engine in our 05 wrx. When we picked it up, we had to pay almost $8000 in fees, 2500 more than the estimate. Not to mention there were new dents on the car, the newly painted front was scratched and dinged, and our new $3000 wheels were destroyed. (All of which he denied happened while he had the car)On top of that there were big piles of bird crap eating away at the paint. When we demanded money to repair the damages and compensation for him having our car for 2 weeks longer than he quoted, he told us he could "smell our type" we should have called the police, but unfortunately we live 300 miles away and had to go to back home for work.

Anybody know anything about these guys, I always find their ad while searching craigslist for ea81 parts.  One of these days ima be in the market for a rebuilt ea81 (i hope).

I'm curious about enginehaus as well. HGs and clutch are in need of replacement. Their prices seem reasonable for a full rebuilt motor + install.

Anyone at all?

May I also mention, now that we've had it home and looked at it more, there was rat poop inside the car. And the engine is leaking oil... The "warranty" conveniently doesn't cover oil leaks.

Yes. They had our car for over a month and we got it back on Thursday. Tell everyone you know to not do business with them. We're going to the attorney general. I also found another post of a guy who bought an engine from them and it leaked like crazy.

Yes. They had our car for over a month and we got it back on Thursday. Tell everyone you know to not do business with them. We're going to the attorney general. I also found another post of a guy who bought an engine from them and it leaked like crazy.

This is too bad to hear. I was given a 1998 Toyota Camry with a blown engine (murdered I should say as the driver drove it even though the oil light was blinking so of course it threw a rod).  Anyways I was considering Engine haus for my engine replacement. They are close, seem OK pricewise if they stand behind their warranty.

Does anyone know of any other businesses that will replace an engine in a 1998 Toyota Camry? I looked at the engine in there, a 5SFE they call it. Damndest contraption you ever saw. An exhaust like an elephant's trunk and a very asymmetrical inline 4 banger sitting sideways.

BTW yours is not the only bad story I heard about Gig Harbor Engine Haus. Kind of hard to dismiss it as a fluke though when it hits home to one of our own Subie folk.

Michelin, please keep us posted on how this is resolved. If the guy steps up and makes it right or if he is a total dirtwad we want to know. In the meantime I will look for someone else to do the work.

May I also mention, now that we've had it home and looked at it more, there was rat poop inside the car. And the engine is leaking oil... The "warranty" conveniently doesn't cover oil leaks.

I don't think it matters if it is covered or not n the written warranty. I think they have to pay for it. I think the legal term is implied warranty of merchantability.  Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act there is an implied warranty that no retailer can ever change:

The Act prohibits anyone who offers a written warranty from disclaiming or modifying

implied warranties. This means that no matter how broad or narrow your written warranty

is, your customers always will receive the basic protection of the implied warranty of

merchantability.

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

Basically if you buy a new car, you expect it to start, drive down the road without the wheel falling off a week later. In your case you bought a re manufactured engine. The implication is that it will be usable for at least a minimum period of time without leaks.  It is illegal for Engine Haus to deny warranty coverage for the implied warranty. He will try to bully you but he isn't a lawyer. The law is on your side here.

The Federal Trade Commission also takes complaints:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

If you sue him under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act  he has to pay your attorneys cost and court costs in addition to any judgement if he loses.

I almost forgot the best suggestion - your local TV investigative consumer reporter. On the west side it is Jessie Jones -King5. I would go to King5.com and email Jessie Jones if I were you. He is fantastic at tracking down scumballs and making them pay.  I say west side even though you are in Spokane because negative press over on this side of the state will hurt the guy more than in Spokane. After he screwed you, that is your best revenge. But don't spread slander, just the facts, plain and business like if you please.

I don't think it matters if it is covered or not n the written warranty. I think they have to pay for it. I think the legal term is implied warranty of merchantability.  Under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act there is an implied warranty that no retailer can ever change:

The Act prohibits anyone who offers a written warranty from disclaiming or modifying

implied warranties. This means that no matter how broad or narrow your written warranty

is, your customers always will receive the basic protection of the implied warranty of

merchantability.

http://www.mlmlaw.com/library/guides/ftc/warranties/undermag.htm

Basically if you buy a new car, you expect it to start, drive down the road without the wheel falling off a week later. In your case you bought a re manufactured engine. The implication is that it will be usable for at least a minimum period of time without leaks.  It is illegal for Engine Haus to deny warranty coverage for the implied warranty. He will try to bully you but he isn't a lawyer. The law is on your side here.

The Federal Trade Commission also takes complaints:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/

If you sue him under the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act  he has to pay your attorneys cost and court costs in addition to any judgement if he loses.

I almost forgot the best suggestion - your local TV investigative consumer reporter. On the west side it is Jessie Jones -King5. I would go to King5.com and email Jessie Jones if I were you. He is fantastic at tracking down scumballs and making them pay.  I say west side even though you are in Spokane because negative press over on this side of the state will hurt the guy more than in Spokane. After he screwed you, that is your best revenge. But don't spread slander, just the facts, plain and business like if you please.

Wow!!! Thank you for all of the info! We really appreciate it! I've started a giant letter to the BBB. I'll also write the person you listed above. We had considered writing the paper in your area, but your suggestion sounds much better. I will post some pictures for you in the next day or so!

I am sorry but $1,995 for a rebuilt or manufactured EA81 engine is crazy!!!!

Yeah... You say that until you see bolts missing and that the entire thing is wired incorrectly. Then you get to spend hundreds, if not thousands trying to fix it.

Wow!!! Thank you for all of the info! We really appreciate it! I've started a giant letter to the BBB. I'll also write the person you listed above. We had considered writing the paper in your area, but your suggestion sounds much better. I will post some pictures for you in the next day or so!

No problem. I absolutely hate scumballs that take advantage of folks. Might want to consider a class action suit. I know on the Toyota 4 runner forums there is at least one guy who got screwed by Engine Haus. It would bolster your AG complaint if you could get that guy to join your complaint. User is jmt2404 and you can read his bad experience here:

http://www.toyota-4runner.org/3rd-gen-t4rs/97531-seattle-area-maintenance-meet-11.html

This Engine Haus  guy supresses any negative info about himself using an internet reputation company so no potential customers get wind of his scam via google. You will also notice this thread is hard to find on google using any negative search term. I wonder why that is ?? Hmm.

Let's try an experiment. Say I write "Gig harbor engine Haus sucks". Now you would expect that googling this a day or so later would get a hit, right? Let's see if we can come back in three days and get a result googling Gig harbor engine Haus sucks".

I am just glad you posted before I became a victim too. Like I said, I was given a car with a blown engine (Toyota) and was seriously looking at Enginehaus. Not anymore.

PREDICTION: Enginehaus will be out of business within 24 months.

• Like 1