Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Cylinder Head Bolt hole repair kit? Who's done it

Working on a 2008 AVLS 2.5L this weekend at a buddies shop and we ended up tearing the threads out of the #1 or "A" bolt hole.  M11x1.25 thread size, we found a helicoil kit online that looks like it will work but I figured I'd check with you guys first. 

Anyone have a kit or part # that has successfully repaired a head bolt thread thingy in the block? lol sorry bout the improper English, I'm running a few hours of sleep over the entire weekend.

Notes:

There are literally no threads left in the block, it managed to take all of it out when the bolt came out.

Took about 30 minutes to get that bolt out.  

Time-sert is definitely a better option. I did helicoil for a headbolt once on a EJ22 and it torqued just fine. The coil was only about half the length so we used 2 coils. To my knowledge the engine is still running just fine almost 6 months later. The car was sold after an accident.

I've had to do a couple timeserts in the past for head bolts. Make sure you keep everything straight or the head gasket will not seal properly.

Also had a guy bring an EJ251 in that he had someone else do head gaskets on which failed. So he was doing them again, went to torque the head down on one side and pulled the threads out of three holes. Plus, the previous guy, decided to use a bolt that wasn't the same thread pitch or size... Needless to say, it couldn't be fixed.