Ultimate Subaru Message Board

Retro-fitting Grill

Hello, 
I own a 94 Loyale and I recently bought an older grill from a 85-86 GL. Here is a picture of what I received. Any ideas how to retrofit this in easily? If no one has any suggestions I'm going to drill holes in the top & bottom and screw them into the mounts that are on the car. Anyone have any experience? 
K6gaS3u.jpg

I have one of those grills on my Loyale. I put it in its place, and zip-tied it to my car. I have two zip ties in the two holes on the far left and right side of the grill. They are zip-tied to empty holes in the headlight assembly/bracket.

It doesn't fit super tight, but that's good because if it was tight, you couldn't move the hood release lever thing to the left. The two holes in the grill are far back enough that you can't see the zip ties when looking at the car. Whenever I shut my hood, I have to move the grill up a little bit to have it sit straight, but it works. No drilling required. I can take photos if you want, although it's pretty simple.

I have one of those grills on my Loyale. I put it in its place, and zip-tied it to my car. I have two zip ties in the two holes on the far left and right side of the grill. They are zip-tied to empty holes in the headlight assembly/bracket.

It doesn't fit super tight, but that's good because if it was tight, you couldn't move the hood release lever thing to the left. The two holes in the grill are far back enough that you can't see the zip ties when looking at the car. Whenever I shut my hood, I have to move the grill up a little bit to have it sit straight, but it works. No drilling required. I can take photos if you want, although it's pretty simple.

A photo or two couldn't hurt. I just wanted a quick, easy way to get this on. Your way sounds pretty easy 

A photo or two couldn't hurt. I just wanted a quick, easy way to get this on. Your way sounds pretty easy 

Alright, took some photos. It can be a small PITA getting the zip ties in there, but it only takes a couple minutes and looks fine.

Here, on the outside, it looks normal. It looks like the grill is mounted properly. Unless you look closely for the zip ties, you won't see them:

P1100333_zps03214470.jpg

Then, here is the passenger side zip tie. Kinda hard to show it since it's hard to see there, but you can kinda see the hole that it's tied to. But again, that hole is a part of the headlight bucket. You won't be able to put a thru-bolt and nut in there, since the hole on the grill will not line up with that, unfortunately.

P1100334_zpsc1e3aeeb.jpg

P1100335_zps3939187f.jpg

P1100337_zps8cfd147c.jpg

Black ones definitely work better. But again, I don't notice 'em, haha. They're deep enough into the grill that unless you keep your eyes at the level of the camera in the first picture, you can't see it. Also, cut the part of the zip tie that is unused, to make it look better, obviously.

Alright, took some photos. It can be a small PITA getting the zip ties in there, but it only takes a couple minutes and looks fine.

Here, on the outside, it looks normal. It looks like the grill is mounted properly. Unless you look closely for the zip ties, you won't see them:

P1100333_zps03214470.jpg

Then, here is the passenger side zip tie. Kinda hard to show it since it's hard to see there, but you can kinda see the hole that it's tied to. But again, that hole is a part of the headlight bucket. You won't be able to put a thru-bolt and nut in there, since the hole on the grill will not line up with that, unfortunately.

P1100334_zpsc1e3aeeb.jpg

P1100335_zps3939187f.jpg

P1100337_zps8cfd147c.jpg

thanks for the picture help! One quick question. Near the top of the grill on the picture i have linked at the top of the post, the notches at the top of the grill where it flares up...did you cut that part off? It seems to be in the way/not fit with what's under the hood already

You're welcome! I didn't do any cutting of the grill at all. I just squeezed it under the hood release lever, zip tied it on, and slammed the hood down. Then, I have to, with the hood closed, move the grill around so it looks normal.

Not sure how well that makes sense. It fits better since I've taken out my A/C condenser, but you should be able to just slam the hood shut on it and it'll work. I haven't had any problems with the fitment. 

You're welcome! I didn't do any cutting of the grill at all. I just squeezed it under the hood release lever, zip tied it on, and slammed the hood down. Then, I have to, with the hood closed, move the grill around so it looks normal.

Not sure how well that makes sense. It fits better since I've taken out my A/C condenser, but you should be able to just slam the hood shut on it and it'll work. I haven't had any problems with the fitment. 

I think you'll be happy to see these pictures. I went out, put it on with the two zipties, adjusted it a bit and then got the Canon out for some pictures. I like it a lot more than the original grill! thanks for the help jj421. I've seen you around the forums and you've been a big help to me. 

http://imgur.com/a/Az2It

Glad you got it to work! Every time I close my hood, I have to move it a little bit. But in my opinion, it's worth it since I think the older grills look better than the new ones.

It looks good on your Loyale! Whenever I park my car and I'm walking away, I always look back at my car 3-4 times. Each time, I take a glance at the grill, glad I bought it from the junkyard. Hopefully it'll be the same for you.  B)