Ultimate Subaru Message Board

about to do weber swap and?

What car is that pic from? If it is an ea81,

It is a silencer for the air suction system. most people just cap of the ASV when they do a weber swap. search ASV air suction vale weber I am sure you will find more than enough info, there are a few ways to plug it or you can leave it functional but know that it will make your engine load and farty sounding without those silencer/resonators if you leave it functional.

If it is an ea82, I don't know those cars well, might be the same

Edited by the sucker king

i think its got to do with the egr?  i capped off my egr on the intake, deleted it completely.  then plugged that hose off, it ran fine. 

word ive been goin over my manual and finally found it. it connects to the air suction valve and is called a silencer i do believe 

There are 2 of them, one on each side of your motor they are part of the air suction system.  the last picture you have is the actual ASV valve.  

best option is to go below to the head and cut and weld the tube that runs to the valve and remove the whole system.  I didnt have time for that, so i pulled those plastic baffles (mine were leaking and causing after fires) and just plugged the port on the ASV valve with a big vacuum plug.

you dont need the system for normal running, its just there to add air to the exhaust for catalyst purposes.  If you dont have to emission then you can pull it.  I dont know what problems it may cause if you still have to get it emissioned.  I figure you dont care much since your webering it.

There are 2 of them, one on each side of your motor they are part of the air suction system.  the last picture you have is the actual ASV valve...

Two of Them, one each side... so there is one for each head, isn't it?

How common is that Air Suction Valve Stuff on Carburated EA82's?

I Believe it should vary from State to State, according to each State's emission's Regulations...

I've seen Lots of EA82's and I don't recall to have seen that on them, more usual in EA81's?

Kind Regards.

Two of Them, one each side... so there is one for each head, isn't it?

How common is that Air Suction Valve Stuff on Carburated EA82's?

I Believe it should vary from State to State, according to each State's emission's Regulations...

I've seen Lots of EA82's and I don't recall to have seen that on them, more usual in EA81's?

Kind Regards.

I know on ea81s the set up veried from year to year. On 1980 models it was actually an air injection system with it's own filter. It introduced the air to the heads rather than the exhaust. 1983 I think had just one ASV It was on the drivers side. 84 and up ea81s had one on each side. I have no idea about ea82s. Don't even know if my ea82 has one. I hate that car. I should look though, it's a carbed 86.

... I have no idea about ea82s. Don't even know if my ea82 has one. I hate that car. I should look though, it's a carbed 86.

My 1985 Carburated EA82 "BumbleBeast" came without that Stuff,

and it came running from California (USA) to Honduras.

Could I Ask the reason why you hate your '86 Carbed EA82

Kind Regards.

the baffle looks different on the drivers side.  I have no idea if there are variations, but since they bolt into the head there should be one for each.  the one on the drivers side was a triangular baffle and the ASV and Baffle are a little more crammed and hidden from all the fuel and disty stuff.  follow the tube from the bottom of the head and it should be apparent.

Jeszek - I would imagine that all of them had it, air injection has been an emission component since the 70s.  Theres always discrepancies but I know my 70 Torino was made with an air injection standard in any state simply because California required them.  I cant imagine a California car that wouldn't, maybe it was altered before it was imported.

... Jeszek - I would imagine that all of them had it, air injection has been an emission component since the 70s.  ...  I cant imagine a California car that wouldn't, maybe it was altered before it was imported.

Well, I just came home from a Weekend Trip to my Parents' Home and while I was talking with my Dad (Who originally purchased New the Subie, in 1985) I asked about that Stuff; what he said is that some of the emissions control stuff was removed here at the Local Subaru Dealer, because with time driving here in Honduras, the car somehow got "Poisoned" with Lead in the Gasoline, so he took it to the Dealer's Repair shop and they removed some stuff from the Engine Bay... 

I was very young then so I don't remember very clear about that.  We agreed that maybe those where removed that time.

Kind Regards.

I don't know if there's a weird camera effect, but the Front looks Curvy to Me! ... Or your Subie was involved in a front collision sometime, 'cos also it misses the Electrical Fan in the Radiator.

Once the Swap is Finished, I Kindly suggest you to:

Check for Vacuum Leaks,

The 32/36 Weber does have two vacuum ports in Front and one in the Side, 

From the two in Front, use the one on the Right to the Vacuum Advance in the Disty,

plug it to the Disty's vacuum port that is nearest to the Disty Cap (inner Port) and cap close the other ports.

The Port on the Side of the Weber is intended for the EGR Valve,

I Kindly suggest you to Cap close the EGR and that port too.

Try some Shots of Carb Cleaner @ 3000 RPM's ... Maybe there's some dirt inside.

Finally, with car warm, set the Idle to 700 RPM's and adjust the MIXTURE screw 'till the idle smoothes.

Kind Regards.

I don't know if there's a weird camera effect, but the Front looks Curvy to Me! ... Or your Subie was involved in a front collision sometime, 'cos also it misses the Electrical Fan in the Radiator.

Once the Swap is Finished, I Kindly suggest you to:

Check for Vacuum Leaks,

The 32/36 Weber does have two vacuum ports in Front and one in the Side, 

From the two in Front, use the one on the Right to the Vacuum Advance in the Disty,

plug it to the Disty's vacuum port that is nearest to the Disty Cap (inner Port) and cap close the other ports.

The Port on the Side of the Weber is intended for the EGR Valve,

I Kindly suggest you to Cap close the EGR and that port too.

Try some Shots of Carb Cleaner @ 3000 RPM's ... Maybe there's some dirt inside.

Finally, with car warm, set the Idle to 700 RPM's and adjust the MIXTURE screw 'till the idle smoothes.

Kind Regards.

i left the electric fan of as it is no use cause i removed all the air condition stuff i also had the grill off 

it was a long day i just capped em at the top for the time being this is my daily driver i worked on it saturday and sunday put new timing belts on it and sunday i just didnt feel like pulling more stuff off had to be at work