Ultimate Subaru Message Board

about to do weber swap and?

i left the electric fan of as it is no use cause i removed all the air condition stuff i also had the grill off 

The Electric Fan also aids to Cool the Engine when the Temp Gauge reaches near 3/5 in order to Prevent Overheating; so I Kindly suggest you to throw it Back there; That's the reason for a thermo switch on the Radiator.

Kind Regards.

Edited by Loyale 2.7 Turbo

Mine was advanced to begin with.  I tried both the stated 8 degrees and the 20 that other people said to run.  between the 2, the 20 degree ran much better for me so I had it set there long before I swapped to the weber.

timing is very subjective though, it will matter what gas you put in, what the condition of other motor components are.  you will just have to check and see.  the stated degree for the carbed one is 8 degrees, but some have claimed that the transition years of that motor would rather have the 20 that the fuel injection calls for.  I liked the 20 setting, and it doesnt show any signs of excessive advance like pinging or hard starting.

id say if you know what engine knock is and how to listen for it, then try it out.  if not id leave it at 8 degrees.  if you turn your timing up too high it can damage the motor so make sure you know what your trying to avoid.  that said many people have run it there so its not insane, just make sure your carefull.