Ultimate Subaru Message Board

88 DL - gas and temp gauges intermittent

Wondering if anyone else has seen this?  The gas gauge doesn't work most of the time, and when not working - the temp shows higher than it is.  (confirmed w/ the cooling/radiator fan not coming on... not very scientific i know).

when gas gauge works, temp gauge works fine too.  I have a bulb out (blinker), so need to dig up how to pull the cluster and replace.  May upgrade to some LED's and clean all the contacts before putting it back together.

Any tips or suggestions?

This is a minty 88 DL w/ only 30k (just shy at 39,xxx now) on it!  Not fast but a great runner and CAV (commuter assault vehicle)!

appreciate any help!

rob

Edited by sl33py

I have a long time customer with an 88 DL, Temp and Gas gauges work intermittently.  ALthough in his case, the Temp drops off when the Gas Gauge does as well.

Rep;laced gas sender, not the issue.  Traced all wiring for continuity.  Checked main ground and 12v supply through the big connectors under dash.

Still can't fiugure it out.  Thought I'd mention it though.

Both temp and fuel read high when malfunctioning, or just temp?  If both are high, I would look for a pinched/chafed gauge harness:  To me, the symptoms sound like both wires are shorting to ground on the sender-side of the wiring.  Most likely place for both simultaneously would be near the gauge cluster.

I've seen a problem like this before on a different make of car, turned out to be a loose harness connector on the back of the instrument cluster. A bad ground connection from the gauges would give you exactly those symptoms.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks guys - have the cluster out now for new bulbs (it's a PITA so going LED so don't need to do again).  Will scrub the contacts and put a dab of dielectric on before reassembling.  Will let you know if it still persists afterwards.

THX!